PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers have ruined Disneyland

b52hbuff
07-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Theme park aficionados understand that part of the art is the ability
to transport patrons out of their daily environment and and into a
fantasyland. During my recent visit, I have really grown to hate what
the laws and lawyers have done to Disneyland.

First, I odn't care if documents relating to a 'ride' can be obtained at city
hall. Unless you're a liability lawyer, why do you need access to those
documents? Can't they hide this information in the program? If I can get
all of the documents I want at City Hall, then why does every attraction
need to list the same thing??

Second, why do we need all of the exit sign in dark attractions? The floating
signs in the HM ballroom were the worst. After a while I couldn't focus on
the attractionss, and I was just looking for the silly signs. I was imagining
where they'd be leading out. It was very distracting to see where the
exits were located. Without a sign, you don't really know the boundaries
of an attraction. The signs really spoil some of the forced perspectives...

I asked a HM CM and he said that the signs were as good as they were
going to get. No word on self dimming or auto enabled signs.

What was even more insulting was that the CM said they wouldn't be
taking people out the labelled exits. Sure, they're doors, but they'd never
be used during an evacuation...

Pirates, HM, and Peter Pan are all ruined...

...then you have the Tea Cup debacle...

Maybe we should sign over Disneyland to John Edwards and company now
and just be done with the death from a thousand cuts?

Pat-n-Eil
07-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I went to Disneyland this week dreading those hated "EXIT" signs in the Haunted Mansion. I only really noticed them because of the discussions on this board. I polled my family after the ride and none of them felt that the ride had been "ruined".. though to my surprise they hadn't realized that there was glass there in the ballroom scene.. I had seen it before but they hadn't.

I think things have changed, spiels have been updated, languages added and there are more safety gates .. but absolutely none of this has added up to Disneyland being ruined by any stretch of my imagination. Pirates was just as good as I remember (except for the missing pirate at the end) and this was the our first (and probably last) visit to Peter Pan. I didn't even pay attention to any exit signs. If you look for imperfection, you will certainly find it. I just took in the rides and the atmosphere and we had a grand time.

If you are an AP and you feel this way, perhaps it is time to visit less often so you can feel more of the magic when you go. If you are an infrequent visitor who feels this way, perhaps less time looking at all of the negative posts on internet forums would be advisable. I really think that too much exposure to something - whether virtual or not - can diminish the joy of it.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I have to agree with Pat&Eli. I am an APer but we only go 2 times a year, maybe 3 this year. I am usually one to notice things wrong, etc but I really didn't see all the problems. I don't let some stupid lawyers ruin my time at the park. Even if I did let the things that are listed cause a problem with my visit, I have a hard time seeing how it is ruined because of those things. What problem is it that they tell you about the ride documents outside each ride. Sure it is sort of tacky, but does it hurt anything? Now I cannot say that I road on HM, so I don't know about those exit signs, but I never got off POTC and went, wow that ride is ruined! I loved it just like I have in the past and will continue to love it.
Maybe we should start a thread about what is positive instead of being so negative. If there is nothing positive, why do so many people still go, and why do so many renew their APs?

SCUBAbe
07-03-2004, 01:25 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is that the added, "and please watch your children" or something like that to the recordings you hear when going on rides. I think it's really sad that they have to remind parents to be parents and take responsibiliyy for their kids...I mean it should be obvious. My child is now 13 and I'm still watching out for her at the parks. When she accidently blocks the paths I move her out of the way. There's so many things I do everyday at disneyland or not ...it's just common sense. I guess they added that to the recordings because people forgot they had kids??...I have no idea...

GloryBlaze
07-03-2004, 02:22 PM
It's like when guests get pissed off at Fantasmic and Parades Guest Control when they tell them what they can't do and where they should be. But in the end those guests have to listen because the cast members are right and they're there for their safety. This is the same situation. It's all for safety, just in case something happens. Admittingly, they should dim it down as to not be a distraction, but it should be there because if the ride set on fire or something and you needed to get out - I'd be happy to see that big exit sign there. Just like with Guest Control. Surely nobody's truly injured themselves standing on a trash can to see Fantasmic, but you gotta get them down because of what might happen - it's unsafe.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Telling parents to watch their kids also blows my mind. But you know what, those things have to be said for all the stupid people in the world. It is sad that anyone can procreate!

DefyingGravity
07-05-2004, 07:49 PM
While I agree that some of the atmosphere is ruined by exit signs and the like, I want to point out that it's not the lawyers fault, it's the people who decide to sue that cause things like exit signs to be added. The lawyers just help them. :)

GetOverIt
07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
it's the people who decide to sue that cause things like exit signs to be added. The lawyers just help them. :)

Thank you! And if parents didn't try to pass their children from one Roger Rabbit cab to another, we wouldn't be annoyed with "And be sure to watch your kids..."

mad4mky
07-06-2004, 10:13 AM
I went to Disneyland this week dreading those hated "EXIT" signs in the Haunted Mansion. I only really noticed them because of the discussions on this board. I polled my family after the ride and none of them felt that the ride had been "ruined".. though to my surprise they hadn't realized that there was glass there in the ballroom scene.. I had seen it before but they hadn't.

If you are an AP and you feel this way, perhaps it is time to visit less often so you can feel more of the magic when you go. If you are an infrequent visitor who feels this way, perhaps less time looking at all of the negative posts on internet forums would be advisable. I really think that too much exposure to something - whether virtual or not - can diminish the joy of it.

I agree with all of this as well.

thekirk
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
You just can't let the exit signs bother you. What if there was a true emergency - and you needed to use them - or if a cast member needed to use them. Safety comes first, and you have to deal with it.

As for the announcements saying "Watch your kids," some parents are in their own land, and for some reason stop watching their children. This announcement is good - and probably should be played more often.