PDA

View Full Version : "Dear Cast Member Matt:"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sediment
06-30-2004, 07:14 PM
First off, I'm tired of the complaints. And complaining. And complaining about the complaints.
So, instead, this thread is dedicated to sending serious, practical proposals to CM Matt. I'm not responsible for delivery, though.
Since I cannot force seriousness, I can only ask nicely. Please?
OK, now that the, "More like guidelines than actual rules," are out of the way, I'll start:

DCMM (yeah, I'm getting lazier):
1. Please authorize the restoration of the teacups spinning velocity to its pre-lawyerified condition.
2. Please lower the brightness EXIT signs in the Haunted Mansion, especially the one that ruins the special effect, while maintaining the ride's acceptable safety level.
3. Please modify the lines of rides with FastPass so that the standby queuse is not clogging the walkways.

Thank you.
sediment

Andrew
06-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Please designate someone to keep an eye on staffing levels vs. crowds at the entry gates. When more than, say, twenty or thirty people are in each line, and not all the gates are open, open more gates!

sediment
06-30-2004, 07:25 PM
And along Andrew's lines, same goes for food service.

Emma
06-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Dear Cast Member Matt,

Please remove the same old boring "Parade of Stars" that has been playing for far too long, and replace it with a new parade.

Please put something in the Submarine Lagoon!

Thank You,

TP2000
07-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Please don't raise the price of Annual Passes by 20% again.

merlinjones
07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
Dear Cast Member Matt,

Thank you for the improvements that have been made in recent months and the maintenence that is long overdue, but please realize it only scratches the surface of what is needed to restore Walt's vision of Disneyland and beyond.

1) Please restore Tomorrowland to its ultramodern 60's look, shapes, design, and paint colors, returning the Rocket Jets to the center pedestal and reinvigorating the land with a return of Submarines, PeopleMover and Skyway to working order. Consider bringing back The Carousel of Progress from WDW to replace Innoventions and please consider planning a thrilling new E Ticket ride for the area. Redesign Club Buzz.

2) Please restore the great Mary Blair's handcrafted tile murals. These are a treasure.

3) Please improve and return the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough. You could recreate the original Eyvind Earle/Claude Coats/Ken Anderson dioramas, unseen since the 70's - - or adapt ideas from the attaction in Paris. - - Or make it a meet and greet for Aurora - - but please do something to reopen this for the anniversary.

4) Please return Walt Disney's original Golden Horseshoe Revue with its Can-Can girls and vaudeville comedy to the stage. And don't let Anne Hamburger anywhere near it with her patronizing and politically correct children's theatre concepts..

5) Please restore the Tahitian Terrace and Polynesian Revue dinner show to Adventureland. Same note as above.

6) Please restore and maintain Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

7) Please bring at least some of the Country Bears back to play for guests at Hungry Bear Lodge.

8) Please return Cascade Falls to the Rivers of America. The waterfall was a major accent to the scenery.

9) Please rebuild Fort Wilderness.

10) Please allow the Swiss Family Robinson to return to their Treehouse home.

11) Please do something with that ugly grate and lock bar inside Snow White's wishing Well - - it ruins the illusion.

12) Please plan a new E Ticket for the Thunder Ranch area.

13) Please consider returning Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock to Fantasyland.

14) Please realize that the public is unlikely to accept DCA, even as a free add-on, and that reinvestment is best spent in Disneyland to expand capacity at the park people want to be in - - rather than trying to force the "volume/flow" of guests over to "that park."

15) Please don't allow new theatrical productions to speak down to patrons or change the meaning of stories and the established behavior of characters - - this isn't in the Disney tradition or audience (or even your business) interests.

16) Please sell exclusive DVDs of all the Disneyland related TV programs for the 50th.

17) Please bring Cinderella's coach to the Fantasyland landscape as a photo op meet and greet.

18) Please invest in upgrading the show effects and design for the tacky Winnie-the-Pooh ride - - There is much improvement that can be done with the current layout, some AAs of Pooh, more three dimemsional effects, better design work.

19) Please play the Wonderful World of Color theme during fireworks.

AVP
07-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Dear Cast Member Matt,

Please take a long, hard look at the stores and merchandise promotions at the resort, and hire a team that can fix them.

1) Please stop "borrowing" logos from Walt Disney World. Disneyland does not have a Spaceship Earth or giant Sorcerer Hat. We don't want to buy product with those images on it. Demand a new line of "affinity" merchandise for Disneyland, featuring Disneyland images.

2) Please stop "borrowing" merchandise from Walt Disney World. Disneyland does not have Test Track, Kali River Rapids, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (yet), a Haunted Mansion populated by a Mariner or Cinderella's Castle and this is NOT "Walt Disney World." We do not want to buy souvenirs of those rides, and we don't want to buy products with the Walt Disney World logo / Castle on it. Demand park-specific merchandise, featuring the DLR version of attractions, and use the DisneyLAND logo and Sleping Beauty Castle on it!

3) Please stop "borrowing" merchants and buyers from Walt Disney World. Disneyland does not have the same customer base, and their buyers haven't a clue what merchandise we want to buy. Bring the Disneyland buying office back to California, and hire buyers who understand that local visitors desire different merchandise than foreign tourists.

4) Please stop "borrowing" event planners from Walt Disney World. All they do is create overpriced, overmerchandised events that lack creativity and heart. Allow the local merchandise events team to recreate the smaller, less merchandise-driven "enchanted evenings" that were once so wonderful.

5) Please stop the practice of "standardizing" the merchandise selection across locations. The Gag Factory is NOT a smaller version of the Emporium. The Emporium and Greetings are NOT park-based versions of the World of Disney. There really is not a rule that says that every store in the entire resort must sell Winnie the Pooh plush. I promise.

6) If you get a chance, try to convince that Powers That Be that it's Disneyland's 50th birthday, NOT Florida's.

AVP

smd4
07-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Dear Cast Member Matt:

My simple request is that you read Merlinjones' post once a day for the length of your tenure, or untill all of his requests are met. Also, please make copies of his requests and pass them out to all mangement in your company. Thank you.

downingfamily1
07-01-2004, 09:07 AM
AVP, you said exactly what I have been thinking for the last few years! Well said.

Andrew
07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Dear Cast Member Matt,

Please hire AVP as your new Director of Merchandise. And pay her what she's worth.

aztectodd
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Dear Cast Member Matt,

Please keep doing what you've been doing. Cleaning things up, making things look nice again.

Please bring back the Country Bears in either DCA or Disneyland so that we can enjoy them once again.

Please do something with the Sub Lagoon and help restore tomorrowland into something that we can be excited to go see. In addition, please try to come up with a replacement for Honey I Shrunk The Audience.

Please put something else in Frontierland...another E-Ticket perhaps.

Please help turn around DCA with a family ride and another E-Ticket

Please dont remove the muppets

Please make the 50th an enjoyable experience for us all.

None of us expect things to change overnight...we would all love to see some of these additions made every couple years until Disneyland/DCA are back to where they should be.

Thanks!!

disNeytEen
07-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Dear CM Matt,

If you ever get to hear what the public wants remember there the ones wanting to pay and get into your park.

If you ever see what we have assembled for you in this thread, remember were not doing this because were bored, or because were joking, we're doing this because Disneyland was an icon many years to go and well always be an icon, but some were along the line, someon forgot what WALT disneyland was like, and we all know if that man was alive today the Disney corparation would be diffrent and this would not be acceptable.

and

Matt you're the next hope we have in restoring Disneyland back to gold, back to fun, back to magical. And thank you for what you have done, but please, please think long and hard when you look at next projects, remember that a new project can be that of restoring a old one.

Duane
07-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Dear CM Matt- You can keep the crowds in Disneyland by continuing the same old routines. Close costly attractions like the subs, skyway, and rocket rods, build abbreviated attractions from Disney World like pooh and tower of terror, etc. No matter how hard you work or how much money is spent on new attractions, the internet geeks will criticize and complain about your efforts. Keep short changing Disneyland and rolling in the profits, this makes you look effective in your new position. Believe me, the internet geeks will fuss but they will still continue visiting the park. To increase profits even more, consider closing Splash Mountain and turning it into a Kodak Picture Spot. Also, close Pirates of the Caribbean and use it for storage area of pin trading merchandise. Of course, I'm just joking with my suggestions but I would like to stress one thing, your views and suggestions to CM Matt will not be heard or considered so it makes no difference what you write on this post. Get smart and go to Disney World. When the crowds in Anaheim diminish, this is when you will finally get the changes you desire. Currently, the Disney Company has no incentive to drop big bucks on Disneyland because the park is constantly drawing capacity crowds.

sediment
07-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Of course, I'm just joking with my suggestions but I would like to stress one thing, your views and suggestions to CM Matt will not be heard or considered so it makes no difference what you write on this post. Get smart and go to Disney World. When the crowds in Anaheim diminish, this is when you will finally get the changes you desire. Currently, the Disney Company has no incentive to drop big bucks on Disneyland because the park is constantly drawing capacity crowds.
It's just for fun, Duane. And give us a little credit upstairs.

disneyboy
07-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Hey Merlin and AVP, have you thought of e-mailing your post, SERIOUSLY, to Matts e-mail?

kaybee2
07-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Hey Merlin and AVP, have you thought of e-mailing your post, SERIOUSLY, to Matts e-mail?

I second that motion - you both have well-written, excellent suggestions!

Opus1guy
07-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Dear Cast Member Matt:

Please restore the concept of Cast Member.

merlinjones
07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh, and cast member Matt:

I second and third the request to please restore the Mad Tea Party to proper working order. One freak accident shouldn't change a 50 year old policy of fun.

(As for sending in the suggestions, thanks for the compliment Disneyboy - - but I did send something similar to Matt via email way back when he first took the job. Legal responded with a "we can't take these suggestions" disclaimer, so I hope and assume it actually got through. Also - - give these guys credit - - they read the boards and know how we feel. In fact, cast-member Matt (or someone posting in his name) replied to a post over at laughingplace lately...

Also - at SaveDisney we have seen an avalanche of CC'd Tomorrowland letters to Mitchell, I hope some went to DL as well and were brought to Cast member Matt's attention.

So why not be nice to CMM and post away - - can't hurt to remind them we care!!!!) :)

rentayenta
07-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Dear CMM:

Please find my husband a job as a fire Captain in So Cal so we can move back and get out of Utah.

It's worth a try :cool:

2Fast4U
07-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Dear CM Matt,

please release the movie "Black Hole" on DVD.

thank you, that is all

dave

PapiBear
07-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Dear Cast Member Matt:

Please step aside and let merlinjones run Disneyland (or, heck, the whole Theme Park Division). If you do so, we, the True Disney Fans, will assist you in seizing power from Emperor Eisner and restoring Roy Disney to the throne. Once this is done, the spirit of Unca Walt can rest in peace. :fez:

Papibear

PapiBear
07-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Dear CM Matt,

thank you, that is all

dave

Dave,

It comes out in another month (August 3rd, to be precise). - http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3995

And Matt Ouimet isn't involved with the DVD division anyway.

Andrew
07-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Dear CM Matt,
thank you, that is all

The Black Hole (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305342776/disneinforguided/) on Amazon... it's been out for years.

PapiBear
07-02-2004, 09:40 PM
The Black Hole (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305342776/disneinforguided/) on Amazon... it's been out for years.

True, although the previously available Anchor Bay releases of The Black Hole are now out of print. The upcoming Disney release (in addition to boasting a new 16x9 anamorphic widescreen video transfer) will be much more widely available (and affordable) than the now-out-of-print versions.

merlinjones
07-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Dear Cast Member Matt - - A few more things to consider:

Please get Rasulo to send Walt's working office exhibit back to Disneyland from WDW where it was only supposed to be on loan for a year.

Please bring back Walt Disney's version of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, which has not been seen at Disneyland since the early 80's. Having listened to it recently, it is still dramatic, relevant and emotionally effective where the revised versions have not been.

Please dedicate yourself to saving Disneyland's reputation as a safe place to bring our children. Even though your origins are in strategic planning, reject their downward spiral culture and do what is right for the park and the guests (as so many seem to believe you are attempting to do, I have faith you can rise to the occasion).

And Mr. Ouimet, tear down that wall - - I mean the hedge that was grown to make the Plaza restaurant more "exclusive". That is not in the populist spirit of Disneyland - - and it has ruined the peoplewatching view for those paying so much for their meals. A negative on both sides of the hedge.