PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror Praising

HorizonsA
06-30-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm starting this thread in applauding the ToT. I've ridden it three times and each time it has brought a huge stupid grin to my face. Has anyone noticed that each elevator shaft is different? For ex, on the left side, you go up then down then drop. On the right shaft, you go up then up then drop. Plus the mirror experience isn't always the same.

Disney really outdid itself. This is by far the best Disneyland attraction since Indiana Jones!

Wesley815
06-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Once you start dropping it's the same though, and the mirror scean will always be different depending on how many people wave/move or whatever to make the image change.

I agree with you, it's a great attraction! Plus it's very neat how they can change the drop profile in the future (if Disney decides to, like they did on WDW's ToT).

RagtimePrince
06-30-2004, 05:21 PM
(Mild spoiler)

I think the far left (looking at the tower) top side would be the best, since if I remember correctly that's the one that goes up twice for the show scenes, so you'd get the largest and most surprising surprise after the hallway. I don't know if it actually drops more from there though.

slydini
07-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Starting from the second level seems to have more airtime. Not sure though.

DisneylandForever
07-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Starting from the second level seems to have more airtime. Not sure though.

I got that same sense. At first I thought it wouldn't be as good since we wouldn't be dropping as far, but that one turned out to be the best!

I agree, TOT is awesome. Still not a DCA fan, but having the TOT now does help! And I love checking out the animation building on my way there or back.

sediment
07-02-2004, 07:41 AM
All that up- and down-ness is done way above the loading areas, and besides, it's on a different vertical shaft than the loading areas. You won't be dropping any less, except for the slow descent after the thrill.

Duane
07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
It's heartbreaking to see you guys really don't know how bad you were shortchanged with your version of TOT. If you ever get the chance to ride the WDW version, you will see what I'm talking about. DCA's version completely removed the best part of the attraction, the horizontal movement through the 5th dimension. A similar comparison would be the Indiana Jones ride. How would you rate this attraction if the rolling ball part was removed? Instead of the rolling ball, how would you like to see yourself in a mirror? The same thing was done in TOT, sorry guys. You got a cheapo version but I guess if you don't know what you're missing, you will settle for less.

lilblckrncloud
07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
It's heartbreaking to see you guys really don't know how bad you were shortchanged with your version of TOT. If you ever get the chance to ride the WDW version, you will see what I'm talking about. DCA's version completely removed the best part of the attraction, the horizontal movement through the 5th dimension. A similar comparison would be the Indiana Jones ride. How would you rate this attraction if the rolling ball part was removed? Instead of the rolling ball, how would you like to see yourself in a mirror? The same thing was done in TOT, sorry guys. You got a cheapo version but I guess if you don't know what you're missing, you will settle for less.
Once again, I love how this guy states his own personal opinions as hard fact. :rolleyes:

I have been on both many times, and have never once felt short changed! Keep on enjoying the DCA ToT, everyone! Your opinion is not worth any less if that version is the only one you have ever experienced.

smd4
07-02-2004, 03:22 PM
You got a cheapo version but I guess if you don't know what you're missing, you will settle for less. Kinda like Duane has to settle for the "cheapo" Florida version of POC without the drops, I suppose.

cstephens
07-02-2004, 08:36 PM

So are you going to keep repeating this mantra until you can try to brainwash everyone into feeling the way you feel, even though many people have said how much they like ToT at DCA?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Maus
07-02-2004, 08:52 PM
I have been on the WDW Tower many times. I have been on the DCA version many times. They are both great. Yes, the forward movement is a one-of-a-kind effect. But I was always baffled by the Fifth Dimension stuff. The lightning-strikes mirror is fun! Folks love waving and acting silly in front of it. It's also a one-of-a-kind effect. Count me in for praising the DCA Tower of Terror.

RagtimePrince
07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Hey, no "WDW tower is better" stuff in here! ;)

I think the fact that the ride starts out with the door floating away in the starfield is pretty darn cool, it just instantly sets the tone that things aren't what they appear to be, instead of having the moment of "this ain't no elevator!" after the first show scenes. At the end it always seemed like the door wasn't really the door before moving forward, which was another fun part for me.