PDA

View Full Version : Castmember Patriotism

Rocketeer64
11-06-2001, 01:13 PM
In light of the last two months events, I was wondering if anyone has seen any Disneyland or WDW Castmembers wearing American Flag Lapel Pins. I have not seen any on their costumes and was wondering if Disney is barring their Castmembers from wearing them.

Steve

PhilMP
11-06-2001, 01:28 PM
Many CMs I know, including me, were wearing the ones Guests got on July 4th on their nametags like year or spirit pins. However, we've since been instructed to remove them, since they're not authorized to be put on nametags. I still wear mine on my nametag, plus another one on my lapel.

Phil

blusilva
11-06-2001, 04:04 PM
I did notice on Sunday a cart in the exit area of GMWML that was all red, white and blue/flag/patriot themed.....

Hades
11-06-2001, 04:11 PM
I still wear my flag pin on my collar. The Team Centers were selling flag pins to cast members for $1.00 (5 pin maximum per day. I think proceeds from the sale of the pins went to the Red Cross or United Way fund for the victims) following the 9-11 tragedies. As per the memo we recieved about wearing the flag pins, we can wear them on the collar above our nametags (i.e. the left collar).

We are no longer allowed to wear red, white, and blue ribbons on our costumes, but I have seen a few cast members that still wear them.

Rocketeer64
11-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Have you been approached about wearing the pins or ribbons? Will they fire you if you refuse to take them off?

Also, any WDW or Disney Store Castmembers still wearing them? What are their policies?

bluepearl
11-06-2001, 10:25 PM
I find it kinda strange that CMs were instructed to remove the pins. Was there any specific reason for that? I have some pictures with some CMs from 07 October, and some of them still had the flag pins on their nametags - but that was nearly a month ago.

Rocketeer64
11-07-2001, 10:06 AM
I heard that a Castmember was let go from his job for refusing to remove an American Flag Lapel pin from his costume. Has anyone heard of anything similar happening to anyone else in the company, either the Parks or the Stores?

Mouse
11-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rocketeer64
I heard that a Castmember was let go from his job for refusing to remove an American Flag Lapel pin from his costume. Has anyone heard of anything similar happening to anyone else in the company, either the Parks or the Stores?

I strongly doubt the incident happened that your are describing. As a castmember I have seen many castmembers wearing flag pins since the 11th of September. It is appropriate to wear a pin on the lapel but I believe that castmembers have been told to not put them on their nametags. Even if a castmember refused to remove a flag pin (which is not being ask of us) it is not a fireable offense.

PhilMP
11-07-2001, 01:24 PM
Actually, one of my managers asked me to remove my American flag pin from my nametag.

I quote the conversation held at the ODV office:

Manager: "Hey, I'm not a communist or anything, but you need to the the flag off your nametag."

Me: "Sure <name deleted>." (Takes off pin, only to put it right back on when manager walks away)

Phil

tinkfreak
11-07-2001, 02:02 PM
The Disney Look forbids CM's wearing anything other than name our name tags on our costumes. During the first few days following Sept. 11th, flags on our costumes were encouraged or at least ignored. As a lead I say nothing to my fellow CM's that continue to wear flags. However, since I was publicly humiliated for wearing a red white and blue ribbon behind my nametag ( in front of a large group of managers on the day of silence, no less) I personally refrain from anything that draws attention to my costume.

marron-cream
11-07-2001, 05:52 PM
I wear my flag pin on my costume all the time. I've only been asked to remove it once, and like Phil, I put in on after the manager left.

I think the original plan was to let CMs wear the pins for a few days, then stop it. But CMs apparently complained, so they relented, because now the rule is we're allowed to wear them on our costumes, right above our nametag.

bluepearl
11-07-2001, 09:52 PM
Wow, that seems like a really strict code. :shrug: I was there today and one of my favourite hosts at Drawn To Animation (who also works at Innoventions) was wearing the flag, but not directly on his name tag - more like a little above it pinned on his shirt.

What are those other pins that are attached to the name tags? The ones that look like bronze Mickeys or something?

Briarose710
11-07-2001, 09:58 PM
I've been told that flag pins are okay to wear above the nametag until further notice and pearl as for the bronze mickeys i thin you're talking about the Year pins

tabacco
11-07-2001, 11:44 PM
There're also spirit pins and stuff like that. and language pins, but those go more sort of under the nametag.

marron-cream
11-08-2001, 08:45 AM
What are those other pins that are attached to the name tags? The ones that look like bronze Mickeys or something?

Those are year pins. You get them if you've worked at DL for a certain amount of time. There's one for 1 year, then 5 years, then 10 years, and so on. Mickey is the first year pin.

Rocketeer64
11-09-2001, 03:18 AM
Personally I don't think you should have been made to feel humiliated in front of other managers. That was wrong, but you should also not refrain from wearing the flag because of this. That's even more wrong.

Any company that has a policy like this should be set straight and sometimes it's the employees who have to bite the bullit and show them where they're wrong. I mean it's not like they would fire you over this , right?

Nigel2
11-09-2001, 10:05 AM
I wonder if someone did get fired over wearing the pin could they fight it on a real ground of wrongfull termination or not since they were violating a rule. But they would have to be really asking for bad PR if they tried to fire someone over that.

ripplededge
11-10-2001, 09:23 PM
PhilMP, marron-cream, what Depts. do you work in?

We, DLR Security/Fire/Health, wear all kinds of USA pins (especially Security) and stuff and I have not heard of any of our management telling us to remove them.
Some guys are really hardcore and wear bigger than a regular size button. Maybe they (management) are more lenient on us considering most are ex-military, ex-police, and ex-firemen.

PhilMP
11-11-2001, 11:18 AM
I work ODV, and we're pretty laid back on wearing pins on our costumes too. I think the reason I was told to remove it was because I was wearing my flag pin on my nametag like my year pin.

Of course, half the department was wearing their flag pins like that, even some managers. The manager that talked to me was the one that thinks that the rules handed down to them are meant to be enforced with an iron fist.

Phil

tinkfreak
11-11-2001, 11:32 AM
Yeah, it was wrong for that cetain manager to humiliate me in front of others, but it's different for leads, at least where I work. We have to set the example, blah, blah, blah...

It may be wrong for me to chose not to wear a flag pin. I just don't need this manager approaching me again with a "You've been told once..."

Although the chances of me getting fired are slim, you'd be surprised at some of the reasons a lead's status can suddenly be pulled.

marron-cream
11-11-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ripplededge
PhilMP, marron-cream, what Depts. do you work in?

I work in stores. Enforcement of rules depends on the complex. Some are notoriously anal, some are less so.

bluepearl
11-11-2001, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the answers on those bronze pins! Are they handed out to everyone who passes the year mark? And also, is there any obligation to attach the n-year pins to your name tags?

I have a friend who's worked there for over a year I think, but he recently quit his job to concentrate more on school. Shame too, because I always had a lot of fun saying hi to him when he was on duty. It's cool to see friends working there when I go.

Briarose710
11-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Year pins are given out to everyone but its not a requirment to wear it ,ral people who dosn't wear theirs for fear of loosing it.
Flag pins wise i was buying some stuff in the Parkside team center today and noticed thesign about the pins being for sale it said that pins could be worn indefintley on the lapel or collar on leftside above nametag

Morrigoon
11-11-2001, 11:03 PM
Hey, is there any good stuff at Company D lately? I'm going to be out there in December and trying to decide if it's worth talking a friend into taking me there.

akacl
11-12-2001, 12:21 AM
On sept 12 one castmember wore a flag on his chest. After that, we were told to wear the flags(pins) above our nametags and not anywhere else. I still wore it on my collar, but I work in DCA, so I am sure no one cares.