PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Question?

Pages : [1] 2

Disney510
06-30-2004, 12:12 AM
I have never rode Space Mountain before and I wondering was it a ride with a lot of big dips and stuff or was it more of a ride like Big Thunder in the dark? Just wondering so when it opens in 2005 I know to go on or not because I don’t like big dips. I know it will be different and know one knows what the new track layout will be like but I just want to get an idea of what kind of ride it is.

Tigertail777
06-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Its never coming back eisners turning it into a cute little ODV cart.. get over it. LOL just kidding. :D

It depends on what you consider "big" dips? I think if you can handle big thunder, you can handle space mountain. The entire layout and dips are in a smaller area so they may come a little more fast and furious, but all in all they are fairly tame. The just seem wilder than they really are, because of being in the dark, and having closer turns. Hope that helps.

ppmuse
06-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I agree with TigerTail (not about the cart idea, but that was funny). If you can handle Thunder Mountain, you can handle Space Mountain. In Space, there was a lot of wind really blowing at you, especially if you were in the front row, so it made you go a lot faster. If your thinking of Splash Mountain drops, or Viper drops at Magic Mountain, then don't worry, there's nothing even close to those huge drops. Just a lot of minor ones that surprise you. Mostly a lot of turns.

tink1234
06-30-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't like roller coasters or heights (read terrified), but loved Space Mtn. I have heard rumors that it only went about 8 miles an hour. What I remembered was it went up several times then winded around downward, but never with that I'm-going-to-throw-up feeling. I've only ridden it once, so I know I'm not much help.

sediment
06-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Top speed is/was 28 mph. Close to the bottom.
I could usually see pretty well in there, and, if you're in front, you should be able to see the turns, so you can lean the correct way in anticipation.

disneycmm
06-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I have never rode Space Mountain before and I wondering was it a ride with a lot of big dips and stuff or was it more of a ride like Big Thunder in the dark? Just wondering so when it opens in 2005 I know to go on or not because I don’t like big dips. I know it will be different and know one knows what the new track layout will be like but I just want to get an idea of what kind of ride it is.

Well it exactly the same ride as it was, just has new tracks cause the old ones were just wayyyy old and cruddy. doesn't have big dips either.
~Monica

adriennek
06-30-2004, 02:24 PM
The worst part of Space for me was the end. It was/is a very fast stop with a light effect and it frequently made my stomach turn. Doc told me at some point to just close my eyes at the end because the light effect was making it "worse" than it physically was. Sure enough, closing my eyes made it much easier for me to endure.

Adrienne

ppmuse
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I had heard that it will have a launch at the beginning, kind of like CA Screamin. But mostly it will have better special effects. Is the launch a rumor gone bad?

Bill Catherall
06-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Is the launch a rumor gone bad? I don't know, but I hope so. I like the slow climb.

Merm8fan
06-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Please say the music will stay the same... I seriously get hyped up for the ride just hearing the music!

dnyduck
06-30-2004, 03:43 PM
I have been on Space Mountain several time and each time I feel the same when I get off....queezy. I really don't think it's because of the "drops" on it...I get this way on rides like Screamming because of the big drops (still ride them though :) ). I think it's because of the "special effects" do a number on me....the darkness and not knowing when we will be dropping or turning and the "stars" and such cause me to loose focus. The "drops" on SM are just like the ones on BTMRR, but much more unexpected (from being in the dark), so if you can handle BTMRR, chances are you can handle SM.

sediment
06-30-2004, 06:35 PM
You should ride in the front. You can see the curves better up there.
Another tip: do not look at the light when going up the hills. You want your pupils to be as open as possible, so you can see the curves better. Even if you can't see the curve ahead, if you can see that you are closer to one wall then the other, you are very likely to turn away from that wall next.
(This doesn't work on that one straightaway that looks to be right on a diameter. I usually guess wrong on that one.)
If you are getting whipped around by guessing wrongly, your ears' fluids are getting a ride that they cannot handle.

RagtimePrince
07-01-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm pretty sure the "launch" is just like saying you "launch" on the Astro Orbiter, not "launch" on California Screamin'. Just a buzzword, considering something like that would make no sense with the pacing of the ride layout.

I really don't remember any drops in Space Mtn, just a couple surprisingly wicked turns thrown in with the relatively gentle ones. Just don't get on it thinking about bracing for drops or knowing what's going to happen to you, try and just be a ragdoll and enjoy whatever happens. The first time I went on it, I wasn't comfortable with the darkness part and thought it had some serious drops, so in the ride photo my friends were laughing and smiling wide, and I was gripping the seatback in front of me with a pained, focused expression like I was lifting twice my weight on a calf machine down under the seat. Not a rewarding way to ride something.

christina
07-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Please say the music will stay the same... I seriously get hyped up for the ride just hearing the music!

I heard that there was going to be a totally new soundtrack. :crying:

sediment
07-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I heard there were going to be TWO new soundtracks. One for the day, one for the night.

'cause, you know, the dark is so much different at night.

Darkbeer
07-01-2004, 06:29 PM
I heard there were going to be TWO new soundtracks. One for the day, one for the night.

'cause, you know, the dark is so much different at night.
I have heard that the two soundtrack thing has been scrapped.... it might show up in a few years as a "plus" to the ride......:eek:

sediment
07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
I never cared too much for the soundtrack. I liked hearing the "space noise" and the screaming of the guests in the others cars.

Duane
07-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Space Mountain is like a bigger version of Mulholland Madness which is indoors in the dark. If you turn things around, Mulholland Madness is an abbreviated version of Space Mountain. They just cut costs by building the coaster outdoors on a much smaller scale. Looks like Disneyland got shortchanged again, way to go Eisner!

Pat-n-Eil
07-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Space Mountain is like a bigger version of Mulholland Madness which is indoors in the dark. If you turn things around, Mulholland Madness is an abbreviated version of Space Mountain. They just cut costs by building the coaster outdoors on a much smaller scale. Looks like Disneyland got shortchanged again, way to go Eisner!

Now, I couldn't disagree more. Mulholland Madness is absolutely nothing like Space Mountain in any way, shape or form. Mulholland Madness is technically a coaster, but I'd call it a kiddie ride.

Space Mountain may only go 28mph but because it is in the dark and there are lots of sharp turns (mostly to the right) it feels faster. There are no tummy dips or air time on this ride, it is just a fast turning coaster with little drops here and there with lighting effects and a cool future theme. I would say that anyone who could handle The Matterhorn or Thunder Mountain RR could certainly handle Space Moutain.

I love the music.. and I have now made an MP3 of the Space Mountain music from the Disneyland CD.. If they do change it, I will be prepared and will listen to the old soundtrack in my mp3 player headphones!! This way, the music will never be broken again. :)

DisneylandForever
07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
There is only one "drop" in Space Mountain. Other than that the track steadily declines (mostly on turns). The drop comes close to the end, about 3 right turns and one final left into the tunnel to return 'home' to the space station.

mathprof
07-03-2004, 12:43 PM
I've heard the park is renovating the entire ride. Probably to make it look like the "Space Mountain" version at DisneyWorld.

There is an initial drop at the top of the first climb by the cars, but that's really nothing to worry about. The entire "Space Mountain" is in the dark (since it's supposed to be in space) but it's a roller coaster.

Most of the tight turns are near the bottom of the ride. If you like pulling G's, I would suggest sitting in the middle of the trains.

If the art gallery above "Pirates" is open they may still have the model of "Space Mountain" on display. If they do have it there, check it out. The model has small labels that list not only the incline degree, but the speed of the cars at turns & dips.

Have fun

SCUBAbe
07-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Most of the tight turns are near the bottom of the ride. If you like pulling G's, I would suggest sitting in the middle of the trains.
Have fun

umm...I have never felt any G's on any of the rides at DL. Screamin, but not at DL and even the scream;n G's are small time. If you really want to feel some serious G's ride goliath at MM.

englishdisneylandfan
07-04-2004, 01:01 AM
my dad sister and myself rode space on our last visit and i really enjoyed it, was thrilling but not to scary. On the other hand my dad was terrified and would not set foot on it again, his exact words were "i was fearing for my life". I think he was being a bit dramatic but it does show how some people have different opinions.

Dani24
07-04-2004, 08:39 AM
my dad sister and myself rode space on our last visit and i really enjoyed it, was thrilling but not to scary. On the other hand my dad was terrified and would not set foot on it again, his exact words were "i was fearing for my life". I think he was being a bit dramatic but it does show how some people have different opinions.

Some people are funny about rides. Me, I love everything (except IASW which just gives me the creeps). My boyfriend can't handle rides that go in circles (like, sadly the teacups). So, I either get to go on those by myself (which is no fun) or go alone.

My dad is afraid of heights. Near where I live we have this theme park called Great America. There used to be this ride, whose name currently alludes me, that would put you in this cage, bring you all the way to the top through this elevator like shaft, and then jut your cage to the outside of that shaft, and then you and your cage would go dropping down that shaft really fast, and at the bottom it would bend so that you slid into a horizontal position. It was a really awesome ride. They were going to be tearing the ride down to put in a new ride, and I was there with my family the last year it was going to be open. I forced my dad to ride it with me. At one point, in the middle of the line, he tried to chicken out. Once he got on it, and rode it, he loved it, but said "never again." Fortunately for him, he'd never have to again. But, I was proud of him for trying it!

SCUBAbe
07-04-2004, 09:08 AM
The ride with the cage is called freefall at MM. I used to love that ride..:)