PDA

View Full Version : Summer Survival Tips

Anthony
06-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I have read some good ideas here and there, but I am hoping that you experts can shed some light on how to best manage summer crowds at DLR. Please share your tips on how to make the best out of the situation, specifically;

-Which shows to attend

-Where to best view the fireworks (best spot, Vs. best spot with few guests)

-Are there time frames that are better to do big attractions

-Where do you go to escape the crowds

-What is the worst part of the crowds (areas to avoid, what NOT to do, etc.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I think it would be cool to have one comprehensive summer guide. Thanks!!

MouseWife
06-29-2004, 07:58 PM
One thing we do is, if we have a hotel room {a real must in the summer} is we go back and rest during the hottest part of the day. This can cover our big meal of the day, too.

Oh, we are usually tired because we try to drive up from San Diego early that morning, get the hotel room early {most places will let you but some act as if you are stealing from them, no kidding} head over to the park right when it opens, ride as many rides as we can while the lines are still moving pretty fast {we head over to Indiana Jones, Splash Mtn., Haunted Mansion then Pirates of the Carribean, seems to work perfect!}.

Wear a cap that is well fitting so you don't lose it. One that can hook to your belt loop is cool for certain rides, perhaps.

We carry squirt bottles when it is really hot. A mist here and there and it helps.

I hope you have a fun trip!!

Oh, water!! Lot's of water!!

Emma
06-29-2004, 08:36 PM
One thing we do is, if we have a hotel room {a real must in the summer} is we go back and rest during the hottest part of the day.

What she said! :D

Particularly if you're taking kids, it's a great idea to go back to the room during the hottest part of the day, take a nap, swim, watch tv, eat... and then go back to the park rejuvenated!

Don't miss Fantasmic! If you want a good seat near the water's edge, you have to get there pretty early to sit down! We usually grab our dinner, and then sit there until the show starts. (People start sitting down about 2 hours before the show starts) The ground is hard, so take a small blanket, or a jacket or something to sit on.

Don't miss the electrical parade over at DCA either.

Least crowded spots-- Theater shows-- Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, The Main Street Cinema, Enchanted Tiki Room, over at DCA-- Muppets, It's Tough to be a Bug, Who wants to be a Millionare (actually a lot of fun-- my husband is addicted to this)

We don't even attempt to do the little Fantasyland rides in the middle of the day. We do them early in the morning or late at night.

Make the most of Fastpass.

HAVE FUN!!! :)

Lani
06-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Summer is definitely a time when you want to be well-prepared, that's for sure. For either Disney parks (Anaheim/Orlando).

I don't know that these cover everything, but do give a gander to these articles we've run here:

Beating the Crowsd (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp020502.htm)

Beat the Heat (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/summer.htm)

Keeping Kids Cool in the Summer (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm040622lp.htm)

There are other tip-type articles but these are pretty informative. :)

Anthony
06-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Can someone tell me how early I should be at the rope drop in the morning to make the most out of getting there prior to opening?

Also, any thoughts on fireworks viewing, or is it not that great show, and can be missed?

Thank you guys very much for the great tips, I appreciate it. I have learned so much from MP, it has made my first two trips to DLR very fun and time-effective.

Emma
06-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Depends what time the park opens. A good rule of thumb would be to get there about 30 minutes prior to that time.

As for the fireworks, if you watch Fantasmic, you can see them from there right after the show, but the best place to view them, is to just walk out onto the middle of Main Street right before they start.

Believe is a great show-- don't miss it. (I think I heard they changed it though? Or was that just a rumor? Can anybody clear that up?) :confused:

evilchild666
06-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Imagine...A Fantasy in the Sky replaced believe on June 4.

06-30-2004, 03:10 AM
Lani beat me here so let me second her MousePlanet references. Great articles with terrific tips.

tod
06-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Bring a windbreaker jacket, sweater or other light wrap. So many people buy into the "Sunny Southern California" PR hype that they don't know that it cools off in the evening and can get quite uncomfortable -- and it's even worse if you got sunburned during the day.

Just a suggestion.

--t

tink1234
06-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Although, I've never used it. This year I plan to use RideMax.

cmpeter
06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
What is RideMax?

Dani24
06-30-2004, 09:23 AM
http://www.ridemax.com/

sediment
06-30-2004, 09:34 AM
1. Go some other time.
2. Must-see's: Fantasmic, Golden Horseshoe Revue.
Don't cry if you miss: Snow White, D.U.H.!
3. Go to indoor attractions during the hot times.
4. Viewing fireworks: there will be a crowd of stopped people everywhere. Most crowded will be on Main Street USA and the Hub. Tomorrowland won't be crowded, but I don't know about the sightlines.
5. Go early in the morning if you want to do Peter Pan. Go early in the morning for everything. Also very late in the evening is good for rapid repeatability (go on Splash over and over until the place closes, for example).
6. I stay home to escape the crowds. Others go back to their hotel for a nap or a dip. AP holders go to DCA.
7. Worst crowds will be after the first Fantasmic show, when 15000 or so guests are trying to leave an area all at once to find a perfect spot for fireworks. I suggest waiting until the second Fantasmic show at least one night, and staying put after the first Fantasmic show for fireworks. (Center or right side are best, as Tom Sawyer Island tends to block some of the view from the left side.) Second worst crowds are lining the parade routes during parades. Plan in advance which side of the parade route you want to be on during the parade (if you don't plan to watch that particular parade). (I suggest West side.) Third worst will be the one leaving the park from Main Street after the fireworks.
8. You will not avoid crowds.

junewestgirl
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
We have been going for a few years, usally two days and we ALWAYS take a break, even if it is just me and hubby.

Hakuna Makarla
06-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Just a thought, but isn't the park pretty empty if people go back and rest during lunch? This should be prime time then to get on rides LOL! Just a thought :)

tod
06-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Just a thought, but isn't the park pretty empty if people go back and rest during lunch? This should be prime time then to get on rides LOL! Just a thought :)

Nope. :D

--t

Dani24
06-30-2004, 01:38 PM
You may find that during the lunch and dinner hours, there is a slight drop in activity at some of the rides. But, during the peak hours of the day you have the most people because you have a) the people who showed up when it opened b) the people who slept in and showed up a little later c) the people who will leave the park at closing time and d) the people who will stay until the place closes. This is why mornings and evenings are the best times.

Emma
06-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Bring a windbreaker jacket, sweater or other light wrap. So many people buy into the "Sunny Southern California" PR hype that they don't know that it cools off in the evening and can get quite uncomfortable -- and it's even worse if you got sunburned during the day.

Just a suggestion.

--t

I second that-- even further-- I would take a COAT. I wore a sweater on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago, and I was freezing!!! :D

tod
07-01-2004, 07:47 AM
I second that-- even further-- I would take a COAT. I wore a sweater on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago, and I was freezing!!! :D

In the winter, that's a given. We're talking about summer, though.

--t

Emma
07-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Oops. :rolleyes: My mistake. It's in the title. Duh.