PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Mansion now, regardin to show qual. ?

Laffite
06-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Because you see, friends, now-a-days you are over-stuffed into the foyer and listen to the speil for 10sec over the shouting crowds with the full daylight coming in through the front door. Then you are shoved into one of the already-opened elevators, where some punk decided that he's more talented than the guy Disney hired to voice the speil so he recited the whole elevator narration. Afterward you are greeted with already packed hallway, which makes moving out of the elevator a moot subject.

Friends, there are no more atmospheres in the foyer. You do not hear the whole narration in the room. The daylight's full. The elevator is already open and taking away the mystery "which door's gonna open?". Don't you remember the fun at guessing? Before you knew there were 2 elevators?

I understand the CM's trying to meet full ride capacity, especially during peak season like this. But at what cost? Is it worth it to get 3000 persons/hr if the ride is not enjoyable?

And the elevator has been brought up before--not much to do about that :p

Warm Regards,
Preston

sediment
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I don't see how adding guests to a completely crowded hallway underneath the tracks is going to increase total attraction ridership. Or guest satisfaction.

Guests shouldn't be loaded onto the elevator until the end of the queue downstairs reaches a certain point.

OTOH, keeping the doors open in the foyer means one less "EXIT" sign. Lesser of evils?

Changing the elevator spiel might make a nice improvement. That way, not as many people can recite/yell along.

Laffite
06-29-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't know.. maybe the doors does need to remain open in the light of new safety precautions. Is this something that has been changed in the procedure? Or is it simply neglect to the show?

sediment
06-29-2004, 02:42 PM
I don't know, either.
Maybe a Cast Member opening and shutting the doors got Carpal Tunnel in the shoulder or something.

As long as there's a crowd outside, the capacity will be reached (barring downtime). If there is no crowd, then it's hard to get full capacity.

One of the reasons there's a line downstairs -- and I don't really mind it, since you get to look at the pictures and the wallpaper and all -- is because of downtime. the CMs upstairs need to be kept apprised of the fownstairs queue. That's all.

Forbin
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
I haven't heard the Foyer Narration in a long time. They just push me past it.

DisneyDustin22
06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
I rode HM the other day, seemed perfect to me. Granted, it wasnt busy. So the elevators and foyer was fine. But I have ridden before when it has been crowded. It all depends on how busy it is. If you dont want to be crammed with a lot of people. DOnt go on when its crowded. Just my thinkin. But yes I do agree with the crowds of people and shouting over the spiels, does take away from the experience.

HorizonsA
06-29-2004, 03:45 PM
If you've been on the Tower of Terror, just before you get into the Library, you have to wait for the doors to open and they only let a certain amount of people in at one time. I think that they should put automatic doors to the Foyer where you have to wait for the doors to open. Only then are you let inside. Then when everyone is inside, the doors shut and THEN the Narration begins. I'm tired of being shoved in the foyer only to find that the Chamber Doors are already opened. If they did the automatic door thing, people would get to hear the entire narration for once.

Pilot Mickey
06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Guests shouldn't be loaded onto the elevator until the end of the queue downstairs reaches a certain point.

I agree, when i went in the mansion on friday the 18th, everyone got off the elevator and waited in a bunch of people. I looked over at the second elevator and it was letting people off, it really upset me, because there should really only be one streching room, story wise. and seeing both open doesn't make any sense to me :confused:

Mortimer
06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I really agree, that same thing happened to me in December. They need to schedule the elevators so when one is upstairs loading, the other is downstairs. It totally takes away from the story if you see the other group coming off the other elevator.

The exit signs really did stand out for me last time. Have they addressed what they are to do about those, or are we stuck with them because of the safety issues?

at they are going to do about those?

cstephens
06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
I think that they should put automatic doors to the Foyer where you have to wait for the doors to open. Only then are you let inside. Then when everyone is inside, the doors shut and THEN the Narration begins.

I remember that was what they used to do, even with manual doors. The spiel part didn't start until the doors were closed, and until then, it was just the music. However, that doesn't necessarily guarantee that people will be quiet to listen to the spiel. I've heard people talking loudly in the stretch room itself, about totally non-HM stuff. That bothers me tons more than people reciting along with the spiel or even adlibbing to the spiel.

What actually irritates me even more is that the spiel inside the stretch room will be started before everyone's in there. Ummm, I'd like to hear that part, and I shouldn't be punished because I'm in the last part of the people being let in.

RagtimePrince
06-29-2004, 04:43 PM
It seems to me like that last time I visited, there wasn't any trouble hearing the whole spiel, and doors weren't already open. It'd be cool to close the foyer doors, but just face away from them, it's not like they open directly outside.

Capacity downstairs is improved now with the "creep mode" thing, so are you sure you folks aren't talking about something that happens one out of every ten times?

Laffite
06-29-2004, 04:47 PM
What actually irritates me even more is that the spiel inside the stretch room will be started before everyone's in there. Ummm, I'd like to hear that part, and I shouldn't be punished because I'm in the last part of the people being let in.
Ah yes... that's part of the big problem too. It's like the elevator and foyer aren't being treated as the part of the whole ride anymore.

Preston

sediment
06-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Part of the positiveness of the new regime (I hope) is that whenever someone here meets Cast Member Matt, he or she can break out a list of improvements. And this can be one of them.

"Please improve communication between queue control upstairs and queue control downstairs at Haunted Mansion. Sometimes the queue downstairs is backed up to the elevators, and it becomes difficult to EXIT the elevator. Delaying the elevators seems to be the best choice. Thank you."
(Is that additional improvement suggestion too obvious?)

Pilot Mickey
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
The exit signs really did stand out for me last time. Have they addressed what they are to do about those, or are we stuck with them because of the safety issues?

Ya, they seem to be brighter the last time i went, they especially need to turn down the exit sign in the ballroom. It reflected off the glass infront of the doombuggy. :eek: WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??? sorry if this "offends" anyone :crying:

Someone You Dont Know
06-30-2004, 03:45 AM
Excellent post, Laffite. Although I agree with all of your observations, the most annoying one to me has to be the people that feel they must ruin other people's enjoyment of the mansion by reciting the stretching room spiel. Disney should just add the "Time Warp" as the background music to the narration to complete the experience for those rude people. The Rocky Horror Mansion Ride. Gahhh...

Pirate33
06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
This problem really is bad, and it seems to me it's just bad behavior by the crew and its managers. It is pointless to crowd up the foyer, elevators and hallway when there is already such a line in the hallway that it backs up to the elevators. It is obvious that this does not increase the number of people boarding the vehicles and equally obvious that it diminishes the ride experience.

Further, there is a video screen right at the foyer door that allows the cast member stationed there to see the hallway. You can see if you look in the corner of the patio. Therefore, there is no reason why more people should be sent downstairs, and rushed through the foyer/stretch room part of the ride, when people remain in the hallway below.

sediment
06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Maybe it's FastPass guest pressure ("Why should I have to wait? I have FastPass! Let me now!")?
Not as an excuse, mind you, but as an irrational reason.

And folks, just start shushing people on the elevator. For crying out loud, they can whisper along or simply think along while mouthing it. There are alternatives to talking out loud.

AliciasMom
06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
And folks, just start shushing people on the elevator. For crying out loud, they can whisper along or simply think along while mouthing it. There are alternatives to talking out loud.

I actually have no problem with telling people "shh" which is ironic since I'm a pretty shy person. Most of the time they are so shocked someone told them "shh" that they are quiet the rest of the time. I have never had a rude response yet. I think I saw this in another thread but those people(mostly teens from what I have seen) who recite aloud are just looking for attention or they think they are making the spiel more interesting.

Tigertail777
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
At least they are not like my oh so major rude nephew, who shouted "NO ITS AN ELEVATOR!" very loudly in response to the "is this room actually stretching?" I swear I almost decked him on the spot. He wasnt even apologetic about it, being a rude little weisenheimer. OY I would have never done that as a kid, my folks would have smacked my mouth off.

I even talked to him later about it, asnd just gave me responses of "who cares its just a ride, everybody already knows it". GRRR I still wanna smack him, and retort "who cares its just your head everybody's already seen it, smacking it might even improve it". :~D

C.B.
06-30-2004, 02:54 PM
I believe that this illustrates the major aspect of what's gone wrong with the Disney company: The "Show" has definitely, obviously 'taken a back seat' to keeping those cash registers humming; and hyping-up - then herding-through - the unsuspecting masses eager for that 'magical' experience that was promised for them at the front gates and box offices. Once you've bought your ticket, it's pretty much "Well, we're giving you everything we're legally required to for your dollar, and that should be enough; if you want something more out of your experience, you can just use your own magical powers of imagination to make it 'special'; because no 'successful' modern corporation can afford the costs of all that unnecessary "gingerbread" anymore. We've provided what you payed for; the rest of the experience is up to YOU."