PDA

View Full Version : Desert Palm Hotel and Suites?

missm
06-26-2004, 05:13 PM
If you have stayed at the Desert Palms I would love some information on it. Walking distance? Room size? Anything special? I can't find any reviews or any photos of the hotel. I called and asked for a brochure from the hotel but would rather have input from someone who doesn't work there. Thank you so much.

SCUBAbe
06-26-2004, 05:36 PM
here's a link it looks nice.

Desert Palms (http://arestravel.com/77/-/hotel/793?ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=Anaheim+Desert+Palm+Inn+&+Suites&ovcrn=anaheim+desert+palm&ovtac=PPC)

SCUBAbe
06-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Here's a link to the search results also..:)

search results (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=anaheim+desert+palms&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=)

Disneykid
06-26-2004, 06:17 PM
We stayed there before and during their renovations. The last 2 times we stayed were horrible! The staff was rude, the rooms were FILTHY!! They had years of dust build up on the sprinkler heads in the rooms! My 5 year old asked if we could not stay there again! The hotel manager parked behind us and was nowhere near the hotel to move the car for us to get out. I would say avoid it if at all possible! Portifino across the street is better! Good Luck on your quest!

Pammer
06-26-2004, 09:19 PM
I stayed there once about 10 years ago when there was still an entrance to the parking lot off of Katella (plus there still was a parking lot there!). It was ok...we had a fairly spacious mini-suite...but the breakfast nook was very small, especially when you had everyone in the property trying to eat at once! I'm not sure how it stacks up now, though. Personally, I prefer to stay as close as I can (usually off of the pedestrian entrance on Harbor) so I don't have far to walk at the end of a long day of touring, or find a property with a good shuttle service.

DisneylandForever
06-27-2004, 06:16 AM
I stayed there a few years ago (before the rehab). The room was okay. Nothing really stood out about that place. Usually if my cousin and I like a place we'll stay there more than once, and we haven't been back to the Desert Palm since that one time. And plus it is right next to 7/11, so depending on your POV, that could be good or bad. IMO, I would prefer staying at one of the hotels on Harbor. I doubt I'll ever return to the Desert Palm unless they had some sort of killer deal.

On the way to that hotel (from Disneyland) you pass a very nice hotel called The Candy Cane. It's usually around 20$ more than the 2 star hotels across from the Park, but well worth it if you have the money. Personally, I always prefer to stay as close to the Park entrance as possible (I hate taking the shuttle). If you're not familiar with which hotels are on the same block as Disneyland, try this: In travel search engines (such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc) when it asks you to find a hotel, choose "close to a specific address," and type in 1313 S Harbor Blvd. If I'm not mistaken, that whole block is in the 1000's. That's a good point of reference. A lot of places try to trick you by saying "within walking distance to Disneyland," but unless you wanna walk a few blocks AFTER walking around the Park all day, don't fall for it! And if you do stay more than a few blocks away, make sure they have a shuttle!

Either way, have fun!

tod
06-27-2004, 09:00 AM
It's a little too far for us to walk comfortably, but we have APs and can park in Mickey & Friends without paying the $9, so for us that wasn't a problem. The Little tod and I walked it one evening though.

Our room was laid out like a room at the Venetian in Las Vegas, only smaller. (The Lovely Mrs. tod once scored us a room there for $99 on an Internet deal, and we never forgot it.) The "breakfast buffet" was crowded and the tourist contingent there was rude, but that's luck-of-the-draw, I guess.

The service was exemplary, with everybody we ran into helpful, friendly, and eager to make our stay a good one.

The only possible problem is that the place has no personality, it's sterile-modern and uninspired.

If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

--t

Disneykid
06-27-2004, 09:29 AM
There is a gate to walk through not far from the hotel. Keep an eye out though! The first time we walked right past it. But I believe they have put a sign up since then and its a little more obvious. If you stay there please share your experience. I would reconsider if a few people had a great experience with them.

tod
06-27-2004, 09:53 AM
That gate puts you out on Katella directly across from the Anaheim Convention Center. The Little tod and I eyeballed it and decided to walk up Harbor to Katella instead. The Desert Palm is right off the corner, next door to the 7-Eleven.

--t

Diamondbacker
06-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Stayed there may 9-14 of 2004- no more renovation-rooms were great-lobby is maculate-even has a quizno's in there- we requested a mini-suite (Mohave Suite)- was given room 424--4th floor of older building- but had 2 queen beds-separate living room w/ sofs/sleeper- balcony w/ view of DCA- in fact could sit up in bed and see tower of terror- request rooms 418-424- all have DCA view from balcony. We walked down harbor each day w/ 2 kid stroller and felt it was not too bad of a walk. Would definately recommend to anyone. :)

Hakuna Makarla
06-27-2004, 04:06 PM
If you're not familiar with which hotels are on the same block as Disneyland, try this: In travel search engines (such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc) when it asks you to find a hotel, choose "close to a specific address," and type in 1313 S Harbor Blvd. If I'm not mistaken, that whole block is in the 1000's. That's a good point of reference. A lot of places try to trick you by saying "within walking distance to Disneyland," but unless you wanna walk a few blocks AFTER walking around the Park all day, don't fall for it! And if you do stay more than a few blocks away, make sure they have a shuttle!

Here is a link that shows all motels( I think) around disneyland. :)
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

tod
06-27-2004, 04:31 PM
The Disneyland property stretches between 1221 Harbor (the Holiday Inn at Harbor and Ball) and 1747 Harbor (Candy Cane Inn) and 1313 is in there someplace. Probably where the Monorail crosses the Railroad track.

--t

Emma
06-27-2004, 07:23 PM
They did just rennovate this hotel though, so it might be nicer than it was before... From what I've seen of it before though, I still don't know if I'd be brave enough to stay there. Good Luck!

Sheila
06-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, we do indeed have recent reviews of this hotel in MP's very own Review System. The hotel is listed under the South of Katella section:

Desert Palms Inn & Suites (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrdesertpalminnandsuites)

Sincerely,
Your friendly review system administrator ;) :D
Sheila

ToursbabeC3po
06-28-2004, 05:34 PM
I have to agree that since the renovation it is a great place to stay! They even have Disney music playing as you enter the lobby and a statue of Mickey in the lobby! It is not ANYTHING like it use to be. I was just there the other day because me and my kids went to the 7-11 and asked to use the bathroom and they did not have one so we went to the desert suits and asked to use theirs and they were very friendly and showed us where the bathrooms were even though we were not even guest. It looked very clean and they have done a lot of work from the last time I had seen it. The lobby is huge! It looks like there is some sort of restaurant there and they have done a lot of tile work.