PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get DL music?

soccerlady16
06-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know were I can download music from DL or Disney movies? I know I can by CDs like "Disney's Greatest hits" but I want to be able to pick out my favorites Disney tunes.Thanks! :D

Disney Vault
06-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Thats illegal, you cant just download Disney songs of the internet. You might try the apple site where you pay about a dollar a song. Im not sure if they have DL music on the site though.

I personally would really recommend the disneys greatest hits. I got the box of all five volumes for $30.

David R
06-24-2004, 06:27 PM
The Apple iTunes store (Mac and Windows) has a ton of Disney songs for download available at 99 cents each or about $9.99/album www.itunes.com

stan4d_steph
06-24-2004, 06:28 PM
They sell CDs at the park with songs from attractions and music from the shows. If you can't get to the park, you can buy some of them from MouseShoppe (http://www.mouseshoppe.com). I haven't checked out Napster, but you might check there as well.

soccerlady16
06-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Maybe I should've added that I don't want to do it illegally and won't mind paying for the songs

Disney Vault
06-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Cant you create your own CD in the park and put all your favorite disney tunes on it? I thought they had a place on main streat where you could do that.

JeffG
06-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Right now, iTunes is the only legal music download service with Disney music. They have an exclusive deal with Disney that lasts until, I believe, some time this Fall. I would guess that some Disney music might start appearing on the other services once that exclusive window ends.

-Jeff

Tigertail777
06-25-2004, 03:54 AM
no, they no longer have the create your own music disc kiosks at any of the Disney parks. The company that did them: Reddot got in trouble with Disney for releasing tracks without full clearance. Disney initially signed off on some of those tracks so they could go through what would have been years of paperwork processing to finally be able to release them, but reddot got impatient and just released them anyways. Not to mention they ahem circumvented Disney by finding bootlegs of material to include, such as a few of the tracks on the Haunted Mansion anniversary cd. Disney didnt even have some of the "vault" outtakes, so they found other bootleg sources, something that I am sure didnt sit right with Disney legal. The new re-releases of Disney park albums are what is the current replecement for the old reddot system; you cannot choose what goes on them, but they are on a print demand system where you can pretty much always get what albums are available.

So, hilariously in essence many of those tracks on the reddot kiosks cd's are "official" bootlegs from the parks. To make things even stickier, there were a few hidden tracks on several of the kiosks, that were not officially installed yet but if you knew what buttons to press in what order then you could get them and some of them did accidentally get out. So in a twist that still sends me giggling if you download those songs from a "illegal" download service, you are illegally downloading tracks that were considered legal for a certain time period, but are technically illegal bootlegs ( I will let your minds puzzle over whether they are legal or not, since Disney themselves signed off on them and let the kiosks be installed in their own parks and didnt check to see what was done until many many many months down the road. Heck they even sold these "bootlegs" at official Disney events like the Haunted Mansion anniversary... I still get a big chuckle over it all).

One more thing to consider; it is not illegal to make home recordings of the audio to attractions and parades etc in the parks (the only possible exception is the "movie" attractions). So it is not illegal to share those home recordings either, not even on so called "illegal" file sharing services. Its the same reason people can videotape pretty much anything in the parks (with a few exceptions) and share the video on the internet.

you also may be interested to know that Disney does not always own full rights to the music used in the parks. "Lets all sing like the birdies sing" from the tiki room for instance is not a Disney song, they only own partial rights with the particular musical arrangement they recorded. This is why this song was cut from the "Disney treasures: Disneyland USA" dvd, they owned tv rights to broadcast it, (which is why it could be shown on the Disney channel when they had vault Disney) but not any home video rights. Ironically in some ways the average joe tourist has more legal rights regarding some of Disney's audio than Disney themselves. You can record and share that song from the park because it is technically considered a "live event" recording, and something Disney encourages. Plus there is a whole slew of guidelines in copyright that can run in favor of the general public, I have said it before and will say it again: copyright is not a black and white set of rules.

oh and file sharing isnt illegal....................in Canada. Opens up a whole new can of worms on the WORLDWIDE WEB. :rolleyes:

JeffG
06-25-2004, 09:22 AM
One more thing to consider; it is not illegal to make home recordings of the audio to attractions and parades etc in the parks (the only possible exception is the "movie" attractions). So it is not illegal to share those home recordings either, not even on so called "illegal" file sharing services. Its the same reason people can videotape pretty much anything in the parks (with a few exceptions) and share the video on the internet.

For home use, such audio and video recordings generally are not illegal, although Disney does specifically prohibit recording devices in some cases ("Millionaire" at DCA, being a key example). Distributing them to the public generally is a violation of copyright law. Sharing short audio or video excerpts from a show would probably fall under the fair use provision of the copyright laws, but sharing an audio or video recording of the attraction or show in its entirety does violate copyright.

The fact that you made the recording yourself has little relevance here. If publically sharing audio or video recordings of attractions wasn't covered by copyright laws, then it also wouldn't be a violation to record and then distribute a movie in a theater or a live concert performance. Basically, the copyright applies to the creative work, not to the master recording.

Another common misconception is that you aren't violating copyright if you aren't charging for the materials. This is also not true. The copyright laws grant the copyright holder exclusive control over the distribution of the material, not just an exclusive right to make money off of it. Distributing someone else's copyrighted work for free is still a violation of the copyright.

Of course, I'm talking about US copyright laws here. I'm not familiar with Canadian copyright laws, although I would be pretty surprised if they really do differ dramatically in these areas.

-Jeff

Leap for Joy
06-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Mousesavers has a deal through Overstock.com -- 5 CDs of Disney music for $26.49. You've got to use their link to get the price. Mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com/disneycd.html)

Subsonic
06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I know you said to download, but have you considered Internet radio?

There are several stations that play songs from the parks and movies.

Some can be found on http://www.live365.com
Or you can try mine. http://www.subsonicradio.com

I find that some people prefer internet radio because they can listen from work and they don't need to worry about a playlist. Some stations also have a request system where you can choose which song you want to play.

Tigertail777
06-25-2004, 05:41 PM
ok in reply to a few points in Jeff G's post: one; you cannot record in a movie theater because its prohibited and they do not encourage it any form. Disney parks however DO encourage people to videotape, and take pictures. Attractions at Disney parks are more considered a "live" performance because, the experience can vary each time due to how the viewer is exposed to only certain portions. Its like a music concert: while the music is written, and played in only the notes that are in accord with the sheet music, because there are many variables involved (human performers, and possibility of variance from the "model" of the sheet music) the performance may vary. A movie never has a variable performance within its artistic perameters. The looping tapes of sound for the audio animatronics create a variable performance, because they only play certain portions at any given time. In past court cases, in general the courts have ruled in favor of being able to record live performances for personal use, which can include some form of publishing if it isnt the entire piece as you already mentioned.

Copyright is never black and white, there are 4 main points considered in every case, and each case is weighed upon its own merits. Some precedents can be used, but generally cases are each treated in their own right if they have sufficient unique traits. 1) how much of a portion is used (which has NEVER been defined in any one single court case that will apply to all cases. some defendants have been able to get away with using all but a few bars of music, it all depends on the particular case's factors.) 2) whether the work is used for educational purposes or not (again educational purpose has no sharp definition... sharing on the internet could possibly be educational use. this is one of determinations that made canadian courts rule file sharing legal.) 3) whether the portion used was for profit or not (and it specifically states in the copyright rules that profitbility is not neccessary grounds for infringement, depending upon the factors). 4) whether the use has harmed the market value of the original work in any substantial way. This one is always a sticky wicket as its very hard to prove in court unless the user is blatently making tons of money with the original work. In some court cases it has been determined that simply putting out unavailaible material created a new market for the product that did not exist before. The factors are always different on this one.

In addition any work before the new 1970 copyright revision that was not renewed by its owners can become public domain. This particular piece of the law is very indepth and you would have to look up each particular piece to see whether the copyright was renewed. Also some things that did not have a copyright notice on them before the new act are subject to public domain:for instance George Romeros original "Night of the Living Dead" is copyright free because it had no such copyright notice upon its release.

Canadian courts recently ruled that file sharing is NOT illegal in canda, based upon simular 4 points of copyright violation definition. One of the main points brought up was no one can know what is used for "education purposes" within someones own home, nor is it possible to fully and rigidly define what an educational purpose is. It was also brought up that file sharing created a new market for some audio files that previously did not exist. Of course there were other factors as well, but it was a pretty indepth case. so if even one country allows file sharing legally it opens the gateway for it to be legal everywhere in technical practical sense, because it is the WORLDWIDE web. Whether it really is legal or not within ones own country, if the legal country has it available, then its available to all. I wont even get into the argument of potential harm... its the same thing as going 5 miles over the speed limit. Its technicallly illegal, and does add potential harm, however in the majority of cases it cannot be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it harmed anyone. Who has NEVER speeded even 5 miles over the speed limit in their life?

Oh yes, and internet radio is still deemed legal, yet its technically file sharing. Its easy enough to record a copy of what you are listening to on internet radio as well, in fact some computers have the capability built in with the basic software, I know mine does. And some Disney themed stations DO record their own audio and share it on their internet radio stations, yet I have not heard of ANY of those stations being shut down or sued because of it. Normal radio could do the same if they desired many stations make their own bumpers out of audio clips from films, and again it has never once been determined for all cases how much of a portion is legal to use.