PDA

View Full Version : Going to DL in less than 2 weeks. And I have questions!

Dani24
06-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi, all! I've been scouring this message board since yesterday, and am amazed at all the information on here. :D

My boyfriend and I are taking a 6 day trip down to DL July 5-10 (it'll be our last vacation for awhile, since he starts the Police Academy in late July). The last time he and I went was almost 4 years ago for our 3 year anniversary. At that time, DCA was still being built. I remember the construction wall around it had "windows" you could peek into, to see how it was coming along.

I've so far made reservations at the Del Sol Inn (formerly the Best Inn). Has anyone stayed there before? How was it?

Also, if I ordered Park Hoppers from the Disneyland website, it says standard shipping can take up to 17 days. I only have about 9...and I'd prefer not to pay $10 more for faster shiping (call me cheap). I work in San Francisco, and would have them shipped to my work address. How long do you think it would take for the tickets to arrive in SF, if I ordered them today or tomorrow? Is there anyplace else to order a 5 day Park Hopper for $129 (or even less) that I can get it sooner? Can the 5 day Hoppers be purchased at the hotels?

We also plan on going to The Vineyard Room for dinner on Friday, July 9th. I made reservations for 7:30. Will this be a good time, considering we'd like to see the Electrical Light Parade during dinner? Has anyone dined here? What do you think of it?

And, does anyone know how busy it might be in both DL and DCA the 5th through the 9th (Monday through Friday, after the 4th of July weekend)? I know it's the peak season, so I'm not expecting lines that are only 5 people deep. But, I'm wondering if the week after the 4th of July is as bad as the 4th of July weekend itself. Last time we went, we went around Veteran's Day. And it wasn't too bad.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I know I have other questions. I just can't think of them right now.

olddumbguy
06-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm no expert, but your doing it right by going during the week.

No problem having your tix shipped from Anahiem to SF in time, if thats what you want to do. I think Costco has some sort of deal for cheaper, look under the park updates on the home page, thats where I saw it.

The most I would want to spend in Disneyland is 2 days. Never been to DCA, no real desire, but cant see myself going there for more then a day. I'm a local, go to Disneyland once a year now. My advise would be to spend 3 days tops at Disney (its not cheap), and then spend the next few days checking out the rest of SoCal. The Block At Orange is a great place to go people watch and do some fun shopping, not far from the park. Also, check to see if the Anahiem Angels are in town and go catch a game. Not cheap, but if you like baseball, lots of fun.

Explicit
06-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Go to AAA office and buy your tickets there. You can usually get good deals. Also you can buy tickets at any Disney store.

sediment
06-23-2004, 05:19 PM
People are coming on vacation all summer long.
Locals are coming all summer long.
It won't be as bad as the 7/4th weekend, but it's possibly the worst weekdays of the summer. I mean, there's a holiday right there, and people are all thinking the same thing as you.

Is The Disney Store in Union Square (400 Post St.) still open? You can check there as well.
Also, you could just buy the three-day hoppers at the park. Only $5 more than online. And then check out the rest of SoCal.

cstephens
06-23-2004, 05:30 PM
We also plan on going to The Vineyard Room for dinner on Friday, July 9th. I made reservations for 7:30. Will this be a good time, considering we'd like to see the Electrical Light Parade during dinner? Has anyone dined here? What do you think of it?

I have a review posted from March 2004 (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/vineyardroom032104.html) in case you're interested.

Have a great trip.

Emma
06-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I've so far made reservations at the Del Sol Inn (formerly the Best Inn). Has anyone stayed there before? How was it?

I have a friend who stayed at that hotel when it was the Best Inn. Pretty basic. Clean, comfortable, the only complaint she had was something about the front desk taking forever to bring her towels or something.. anyway, she didn't have any complaints about the room or anything, and I've seen the hotel, it's in an excellent location.

Sounds like a fun trip! Have a good time! :)

spectromen
06-24-2004, 07:44 AM
I LOVE the Vineyard Room. 7:30 will be great. It's a very long meal, you will probably be there until 10:00 or later, and yes, diners are there past the regular park hours so it's no problem. Make sure to request a table along the edge to watch the parade.

As has been mentioned already, don't discount the $79 Costco offer, it's pretty good and if you're a member you could pick those up at home before you even get here. Have a great trip!

Dani24
06-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks for all the tips. :D

Normally, I wouldn't have chosen this particular week to go. I expect it to be a little busier, since it's right after a holiday, and in the middle of Summer. However, my boyfriend's employer gives them weeks off, not days. He gets 2 weeks of vacation, and he has to select which 2 weeks he wants to take at the beginning of the year. And sometimes it's really hard to get those dates changed. When he chose the week after the 4th, we weren't planning on taking a trip anywhere. I just decided a few weeks ago that we should go somewhere during that period, since this would be our last vacation for a while. And we've both been wanting to go back to Disneyland for a while.

Olddumbguy, I can definitely understand why you'd only want to spend two days there. If I had the ability to go multiple times a year, I'd probably have worn out some of the thrill for some of the attractions, and be more focused on fewer things. :) But, since I seem to go about once every 3 or 4 years, there's always a feeling of "newness" to it each time. I think I've only been to DL about 4 times. So, this will be my 5th.

Originally, I was going to get the 3 day Hopper, but for $5 more, I figured we could get the 5 day, and then go during the evening when we arrived on Monday. Then we could go Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. We'll likely end up with one extra day. Unless we go on Thursday night, after we get back from Universal Studios.

Last time he and I went, we got a 3 day pass. We managed to go on every single ride that was open, except IASW, and one or two of the kiddy rides (that were a little too kiddy for us). Roger Rabbit, Big Thunder, Rocket Rods, and I think maybe one other ride were all closed at the time. But, we managed to cover the whole park, and have time to do our faves again and again. We also went to Medievel Times when we went last time, which was fun. It was his first, and my second time going there.

Spectromen & Oldumbguy, thanks for the tip about Costco. I am a Costco Business member, so I'll have to look into that. My boyfriend is a AAA member...but getting him to get down to a AAA office to pick up the tickets might be hard. His work schedule is pretty crazy.

Emma, thanks for letting me know about the Del Sol Inn. I had read a lot of reviews on it (like on Travelocity), and most were pretty good. But, it always helps to hear it from other people too (especially ones you can ask questions of).

I'm really looking forward to going...even if it will be crowded. But, I've been scouring this site, and found the tips about using Fastpass to your advantage. And, both my boyfriend and I tend to be pretty good about working crowds, and knowing how to get around long lines. So, I think we'll be okay.

:confused: I do have one other question. Does anyone know of any good discounts for Law Enforcement for any of the attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc. around Disneyland? :confused:

Thanks again!!! :D

Dlandmom
06-24-2004, 09:07 AM
I do have one other question. Does anyone know of any good discounts for Law Enforcement for any of the attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc. around Disneyland?

A good place to check for discounts is www.mousesavers.com (http://www.mousesavers.com)

BigAlH
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Note - if you call AAA Travel and are doing a 5-day pass you get lots of extras for the same price (has to be over the phone though - no internet or offices). Ordered ours last Friday and got them yesterday (Wednesday).

Dani24
06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
What kinds of extras do they include? Did you have them mail them to you? Or did you have to go pick them up? Also, was there any shipping cost for the tickets, if they were mailed?

And do you know if I could call and make the arrangements, with my boyfriend's AAA number, even though I am not a AAA member?

Pammer
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM

I've stayed at the Del Sol Inn 4 times in the past 2 years, and have been pleased overall...the value and location are both terrific! I posted a review on this board for my last visit in May ~ feel free to check it, and any others, out! :) We have tentative plans for additional DLR visits in October and December, and expect to stay there those times too.

Since your timing can't be helped, another benefit to staying at the Del Sol Inn is that you can go back there in the heat of the afternoon to relax, nap, or swim...you'll be more refreshed for evening touring! Be sure and hit DL at park opening, and then transfer over to DCA when the crowds build...and don't forget FastPass!

Also, I live in Sacramento, so we usually plan our trips for 4-5 days in length. We don't mind repeat rides (sometimes 3-4 times during the trip!) of many of the attractions. It often amazes me when I read the trip reports posted on MousePlanet (especially WDW) where people go and only ride each one once! We don't get out to FL except every 3-4 years, so we like to maximize our visits! But I digress...

One more thing...if you think you may get back to DLR within a calendar year, an AP might also be an option for you.

Most of all, have a fantastic time! :D

keschy
06-24-2004, 02:36 PM
What kinds of extras do they include? Did you have them mail them to you? Or did you have to go pick them up? Also, was there any shipping cost for the tickets, if they were mailed?

And do you know if I could call and make the arrangements, with my boyfriend's AAA number, even though I am not a AAA member?

I just checked at the AAA website. They say the 5 day pass is $122.50and that includes free parking. It didn't mention anything else but you could call your local AAA office to find out more.

Dani24
06-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Yep, I called AAA, and they said the only extra was free parking. And since we'll be right across the street, we won't need that. Plus, the price they quoted me was $134.00, over the phone.

Sediment mentioned you could buy them at the Disney Store. I work fairly close to the one in Union Square in SF, so I called to see if they had the passes, and for how much. They do, and the girl told me they were $129 for a 5 day pass. I'm going to go down there at lunch to pick them up (plus they're having a huge clearance sale right now!). That way, I don't have to hope they show up in the mail on time.

Also, yesterday I was going through a bag of souveneirs from our last DL trip. And I found this cool "Drivers License" for Autopia. I wonder if they still pass those out. It was great looking at the Splash Mountain pictures, the New Orleans Square Mardi Gras beads, the reservation ticket for Blue Bayou, the pressed pennies and quarters, and all of the other fun stuff. I can't wait to add more mementos from this trip! :D

evilchild666
06-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Also, yesterday I was going through a bag of souveneirs from our last DL trip. And I found this cool "Drivers License" for Autopia. I wonder if they still pass those out.

They sure do!

Dani24
06-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Cool! Mine has a date of 2000 on it (because that's when we last went). I figured they might be like those AT&T Indiana Jones Decoder Cards, which they stopped passing out years ago.

mel g
06-25-2004, 10:12 AM
I do not recommend the Del Sol. In fact, the Del Sol was the only bad thing about our trip last time. We try to visit Disneyland (we are from Canada) once a year and last time we stayed at the Del Sol. Our room over run with ants (in my suitcase, in the closet, in my shoes....everywhere!!! They even got in to my bundle of wrapped mickey suckers!) Also, when I sat in the hot tub and turned on the jets, it bubbled and bubbled and overflowed with bubbles. It had too much chlorine in it and I ended up developing a bad rash. Not a good hotel experience if you ask me......

Just my 2 cents. I won't stay at the Del Sol again and I seriously regret not paying the 12 bucks more and staying at the Tropicana like usual.....

Mel.

Dani24
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I appreciate your comments, Mel. I realize that for the rate we're paying, I won't be getting the Hilton. My boyfriend and I rarely use the pool/hot tub at hotels anyway. And I can't really use hot tubs much at all, because I tend to develop hives from the heat. I've heard that a number of those hotels on S. Harbor use far too much chlorine. Perhaps it's easier than cleaning the pool constantly?

As for the ants, my understanding is that Southern California can have some pretty bad ant problems, especially during the summer months. We get that up in Northern California too, though I hear So Cal can be worse. The ant problem could potentially happen at any of those hotels near the entrance. Particularly the lower towards the ground you are, and the more food and sweets your have in your room (especially if they aren't stored somewhere airtight). From experience at home, I know that all it takes is for one stupid ant to find something good in your house, and it's all over! Last summer I had an ant infestation in my bathroom, in my apartment. I don't know what exactly they were after, but I used some ant spray to kill them, and they've never returned. Perhaps I should bring my bottle, just in case!

BigAlH
06-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Yep, I called AAA, and they said the only extra was free parking.

If you are getting 5-day (or more) passes you get more than just free parking - but you need to order over the phone and have the tickets shipped to you.

The information can be found on the Latest Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040621.htm). It includes the following:

Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket
$10 ESPN Zone Arena Game Card
Preferred Seating at select shows in Disney's California Adventure Park
California Diamond Fun Book (one per package)
Free parking at Disneyland Resort Theme Parks

The $10 game card is per ticket. The fun book contains discounts to stuff in and outside of the park. We also got 4 luggage tags (disney characters on it). Reserved seating is for 4 different shows.

Despite what the above article says, they don't sell this in the offices (nor on the internet). Need to call and order.

-al

Dani24
06-25-2004, 03:03 PM
I ended up just going down to the Disney Store, and buying them there. It was the easiest way. We don't need free parking, and I highly doubt we'd use the ESPN card, or the Preffered Seating.

And since this was kind of a last minute thing, waiting for tickets to come in the mail would have been pushing it. We'd only have a week for them to get here...and I'd hate for them to arrive a day late.