PDA

View Full Version : What is the park capacity for Disneyland?

Kitten
06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Meaning, at what point do they stop letting people in for the day?

I searched but kept finding capacity for certain rides and attractions, not the park itself.

Thanks in advance...

sleepyjeff
06-22-2004, 10:45 PM
I don't know what the actuall number is....but back in the Fall of 96, when the Main St. Parade was "glowing away", there were so many people one night I was there that the Fire Marshall made them open up a backstage exit route so people would not get trampled. It was really cool...got to see where they repair the Jungle Cruise boats(right behind the Emporium) and other not so magical but neat nevertheless stuff :)

Emma
06-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Wow...

Good Question!

I think I read somewhere once that it was a very large number (50,000???) Oh, I don't know! I'm probably way off. :rolleyes:

DCAWhites
06-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Higher than that, but not by too much.

haunted_mike
06-23-2004, 05:35 AM
The Fire Marshals set the limits on how many people a *building* can safely hold, however they do not set limits on how many people an *outdoor area* (such as Main Street, or Disneyland as a whole) can hold, this is set by Disney.

I'd guess that there is no fixed figure at which point the gates shut but instead it is calculated depending on the conditions at the park. To do this Disney will take into consideration factors such as guest safety, weather, ride capacity on the given date, opening hours and "guest satisfaction" (ie, how long it takes for the guests to get angry about the crowds).

For example if the park is operating all rides at full capacity there may be, say, 70,000 guests in the park. This summer however, with two e-tickets down and several other ride closures planned for refurbs then the ride capacity will drop and accordingly so will the total park capacity.

Disney never releases the actual attendance figues, but just for the record reports I've heard state that as many as 85,000 could be squeezed in to Disneyland back in 1996, with 65,000 being a more realistic estimate for nowadays.

Of course, 85,000 people crammed in to Disneyland turns it into one giant mosh-pit, which begs the question, why would any one want to go in when it like that?

SoCalDisneyLover
06-23-2004, 06:34 AM
This summer however, with two e-tickets down and several other ride closures planned for refurbs then the ride capacity will drop and accordingly so will the total park capacity.

What is the other e-ticket that is down in addition to Space?

dsnydon
06-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Just for the record, the most pepole cramed in to DL was in 1987 we hosted 87,000 guest. About two years ago the Resort hosted over 104,000 between both parks in one day(around Christmas). When the number of guest hits arond 50,000 in Park we stop selling tickets untill the in Park numbers go down. That is why evryone is asked to exit via a turnstile. Hope this helps :)

msgtc1
06-23-2004, 07:54 AM
If I remember my numbers right, Disneyland can hold around 150,000 poeple while DCA can only hold around 50,000, don't quote me on that I don't know if those numbers are right.

disneyscott
06-23-2004, 08:02 AM
If I remember my numbers right, Disneyland can hold around 150,000 poeple while DCA can only hold around 50,000, don't quote me on that I don't know if those numbers are right.
I just felt like Quoting you anyway heheheheheeheh:D

haunted_mike
06-23-2004, 08:04 AM
What is the other e-ticket that is down in addition to Space?

My mistake. Space Mountain is indeed the only e-ticket ride down. At the moment. ;)

Forbin
06-23-2004, 08:28 AM
No No you forgot Subs and Rocket rods...that's 3 e-tickets.

Nevermind that they decided to scrap Rods, It was meant to at least last 20 years.

cstephens
06-23-2004, 09:14 AM
No No you forgot Subs and Rocket rods...that's 3 e-tickets.

Were the subs e-tickets? That would surprise me.

sediment
06-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Just for the record, the most pepole cramed in to DL was in 1987 we hosted 87,000 guest. About two years ago the Resort hosted over 104,000 between both parks in one day(around Christmas). When the number of guest hits arond 50,000 in Park we stop selling tickets untill the in Park numbers go down. That is why evryone is asked to exit via a turnstile. Hope this helps :)

Does the 104,000 number double-count park-hoppers? Just wondering.

What was going on in 1987? Was it 7/4? Or during winter holidays?

Opus1guy
06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
dsnydon wrote:

Just for the record, the most pepole cramed in to DL was in 1987 we hosted 87,000 guest. About two years ago the Resort hosted over 104,000 between both parks in one day(around Christmas). When the number of guest hits arond 50,000 in Park we stop selling tickets untill the in Park numbers go down.

I remember seeing that exact 87,000 1987 number on an internal report once (occurred in August, if I recall). I believe there was a close second place posted in the Summer of 1968 or 1969 too.

But on that same report I seem to recall seeing a highest "In-Park" at one time record of somewhere in the 65,000 neighborhood.

But then again, back in those days there were lots more attractions (read: especially Tomorrowland) to suck-up the Guests.

sediment
06-23-2004, 10:02 AM
And there were people actually in lines instead of waiting on the walkway for their fastpass time to arrive.

JeffG
06-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Were the subs e-tickets? That would surprise me.

Yep, the Subs were an E-Ticket right up until they eliminated the ticket books.

-Jeff

disNeytEen
06-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Side note: why were the subs shut down if they were a. An e-ticket ride and b. so popular!

Know continue on

sleepyjeff
06-23-2004, 06:09 PM
They really did plan to build a better sub ride..........then some pencil pusher said nay :~D

tink1234
06-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok, goofy question: When they allow the max number and you leave the park and come back...are you still counted in the max number?

or rephrased...

When I go over Christmas and the park reaches capacity (if it does). I want to leave with my 4 YOUNG children for naps and come back until closing. Will we be let back in?

Emma
06-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I have a question:

What happens when the park fills to capacity? Say you book a package, and pre-pay for your park hopper, and your flight gets in at noon, and the park is already full.

Do they let you in, or are you just out of luck, having to lose a day?

MykeXero
06-23-2004, 09:41 PM
DL capacity is around 80k....50k is a common weekday during the summer and a common Saturday during any non summer day of the year.

DCA`s is like 27 - 30k

Depending on attraction offerings and such teh capacity changes.

As capacity in the park increases they`ll stop the following in this order as specific levels of attendence (or someting really close):

Cast Member sign ins
Comp Tickets
Annual Passes
Regular Guests

Main Street Magic
06-24-2004, 05:01 AM
I don't know if things have changed since I was a CM, but the capacities mentioned above usually happened on the 3rd Saturday in August. It was explained to me that that was the last weekend prior school starting so most parents brought their kids to DL before going out to purchase school supplies/clothes, etc. I was there in 68/69 when the park hit approximately 85,000. The lines for Pirates ran all the way to the hub.

sediment
06-24-2004, 07:59 AM
I have a question:

What happens when the park fills to capacity? Say you book a package, and pre-pay for your park hopper, and your flight gets in at noon, and the park is already full.

Do they let you in, or are you just out of luck, having to lose a day?
Your park-hoppers don't have an exact start date. They might have a "start by" date that is a few months (or years) in advance of the purchase date.
You might be left with one day left on your park-hopper when you leave.