PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me why Disneyland got the short end of the stick?

Alf
06-21-2004, 01:45 PM
I am speaking in regards to the upcoming 50th anniversary celebration. I don’t understand why Disneyland gets an import and a refurbished ride and Disney Tokyo gets a quality E ticket ride!

I'd be happy if we imported Journey to the Center of the Earth or Storm Riders.
While I am grateful that we are getting your space mounting back, I'd almost rather have what Tokyo is getting. Park envy? Sure. Well founded?... perhaps

Am I alone on this one? :confused: Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Lani
06-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me either, Alf.

Alf
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
And why is DisneySea SOOO Much better the DCA?? I assume the construction budgets for both come from the same source! Why is almost everything in DisneySea better and more detailed.. Rant!! RANT RANT RANT!

Bill Catherall
06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
I assume the construction budgets for both come from the same source!
Your assumption would be wrong though. Tokyo's Disney Sea is funded by the Oriental Land Company.

Alf
06-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Cheerfully withdrawn. So, Disney had to foot the bill for DCA but not DisneySea? Or did some other company foot the bill for DCA as well?

Does that mean that the company who built DisneySea has a controlling intrest in disney? Its all very interesting

Bill Catherall
06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
DCA was built and funded by Disney. I'm not sure exactly what the business arrangement is between Disney and OLC though.

Lani
06-21-2004, 03:16 PM
The Walt Disney Company is a business partner of Oriental Land Co., Ltd. I believe neither is a major shareholder of the other.

Alf
06-21-2004, 03:18 PM
in that case I suggest they strike a deal for them to come over here and restart the Wescot project!

sleepyjeff
06-21-2004, 06:40 PM
You can thank the wonderful folks in Long Beach for not building a DisneySeas stateside....also, the lovely folks in Anaheim had more than a little to do with the no go on WestCot :)

Pilot Mickey
06-22-2004, 12:36 AM
The real reason for the lack of intrest in Disneyland resort for the 50th, is because not alot of people care for the west coast. Just look at everthing else, baseball( main attraction is the yankiees), national news( most main offices are in new york). Just think about that for awhile. In my opinion, disneyland should be the only thing disney fixes for the 50th, because it is Disneyland's 50th. When Walt Disney world turned 25 they didn't do anything to the other parks? that i can remember.

jrad32
06-22-2004, 07:10 AM
I would disagree about your comment that not a lot of people care about the West Coast. Sure there is an East Coast bias on some things, but you're examples are flawed. Just looking at a baseball/sports example you bring up for example.

The Yankees haven't won a World Series in the last three years, and the Angels and D-Backs (both western teams) have won two of the last three. The Yankees may be the league's primier team, but the same can be said for the Lakers and basketball (even though I hate the Lakers).

sediment
06-22-2004, 10:10 AM
1. There's no room for anything new. At least nothing that could be put in before 50th celebration starts.
2. We already heard most of what was going on prior to the announcement. I don't see why anyone would think something unexpected would be announced. We're privy to a lot of inside information (half of which is true).
3. Other parks were planning to put in new stuff regardless of DL's 50th. Tying them to DL's 50th seems contrived at best. But it was a big stage with lots of people (media) watching. Best advertise as much as possible.
4. When you start paying $636.36 (as or right now) for a 2-park PAP (that does not include New Year's Eve), then you can complain.

06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
4. When you start paying $636.36 (as or right now) for a 2-park PAP (that does not include New Year's Eve), then you can complain.

I feel your pain, sediment. Now feel mine: thousands of dollars in airline tickets, hotel and meals for a four-day visit.

sediment
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
You do have a choice, 3894. And from Wisconsin, I'd go WDW far more often than DLr.
Now, feel my non-pain: gas, parking, small locker, discounted dinner. That's it. No prorated AP cost. No souvenirs. Just great memories on a half-day.

Bill Catherall
06-22-2004, 10:32 AM
1. There's no room for anything new.
*cough*

There's lots of unused (or wasted) real estate in Tomorrowland and Frontierland.

At least nothing that could be put in before 50th celebration starts.
Poor planning.

sediment
06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
*cough*

There's lots of unused (or wasted) real estate in Tomorrowland and Frontierland.

Poor planning.
Yes, there was poor planning for a few years under Paul Pressler's thumb. It's going to take a lot more than pixie dust, one closed day, and money to fix it. Cast Member Matt (tm) has a long-range plan for DLr. 50th is going to suck in terms of, "How different is this from last year?" kind of comparisons. We all knew it way ahead of time, starting with Pressler/Harriss's horrible plans. The poor planning started with getting rid of them two years too late.
However, Main Street USA does have a nice glow about it.

Alf
06-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Perhaps they are too busy finishing DL HK to worry about DL... I still love to go there ( I'm a northern cali resident so its just a 6 hour drive away), I just feel sad when something I love so much gets ignored. How would Walt feel, I find myself thinking. But then I look how the rest of the studio is being handled and I understand... its a sad state of affairs thats for certain.

sediment
06-22-2004, 03:02 PM
info point: $635.36 (error in previous post) is the cost (in dollars) of a TDL two-park annual pass. Today.

Alf
06-22-2004, 03:42 PM
OUCH!!!.... no .... longer ....seems worth it...*croak*

sediment
06-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, maybe tomorrow the exchange rate will change in your favor.

RStar
06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I think to some degree the new rides were already planned, and they are only leveraging them in the advertising. I don't think they built them just because Disneyland Anaheim was having a birthday. They have been on the slate for a long time, and at some point they decided to open them in conjunction with the celebration.
But it is because they had the budget and planning that they are getting them. Those are the two things missing from DL.

sediment
06-23-2004, 03:31 PM
I think to some degree the new rides were already planned, and they are only leveraging them in the advertising. I don't think they built them just because Disneyland Anaheim was having a birthday. They have been on the slate for a long time, and at some point they decided to open them in conjunction with the celebration.
But it is because they had the budget and planning that they are getting them. Those are the two things missing from DL.
I wish I had written that.

gothemi
06-25-2004, 07:17 AM
I agree with Bill. There is a lot of unused space in Disneyland that can be "converted" into a usable attraction. It is sad to see the elaborate Peoplemover (or Rocket Rods) track sitting there empty and negleclted :crying:

I think Disneyland got the short end of the stick because from everything I have been hearing, WDW is a cash cow compared to DLR. Have you noticed how much better the advertisments for WDW are then DLR, and how many more they have? Alec Baldwin going on about Magical Gatherings and such. It's sad that Disney doesn't respect DLR more.

sediment
06-25-2004, 08:17 AM
DIS respects profits, as should any publicly-held company. There are more profits in WDW than in DLr. Lots of hotels, lots of retail rental space, lots of parks. And lots of space to expand.
DLr needs to show more profit. I'd start with trying to get more revenue, instead of Pressler's way (lowering expenses).
Secondly, Cast Member Matt (tm)(capitalized, please) started only last November. Planning for a big 50th should have started two or three years ago. Previous caretakers of DLr decided not to plan for a big 50th. They lacked vision. They lacked magic.

What they did know was their major customer base, since they created and cultivated it to the detriment of the product. The weeds need to be cut back to let the fruit grow.