PDA

View Full Version : A Q for the Zoo Crew

leota's necklace
06-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Quick question for those in the know:

My husband is somewhat less "enchanted" by character interaction that I am. He really doesn't like being forced to play with the rubberheads -- he understands there's a living, breathing, heavily sweating CM under there and he knows their back hurts, they have zero peripheral vision, and that costume is incredibly hot and uncomfortable. There is ZERO suspension of disbelief on his part, as far as the Zoo Crew is concerned.

Character interaction is less a touch of pixie dust and more of a minor annoyance for him. He wanted me to ask y'all: is there some sort of "safe word" he can whisper, to let them know he's fine, he appreciates their effort, and they can move along and enchant someone else?

cstephens
06-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Is he randomly being accosted by them? Or are you at a character meal? Usually, on the street, they don't necessarily do more than just waive at you unless you want to play with them. If at a meal, they tend to not hang around you much if you don't reciprocate.

tod
06-21-2004, 10:38 AM
A loud "Buzz off!" and a quick kick in the slats works for me... :D

--t
who never, ever does this, because he thinks that playing with the characters is one of the funner things about Disneyland. Ask me about the picture Dale took of The Lovely Mrs. tod and me sometime.

SCUBAbe
06-21-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm not really into the characters either. I wave at them in passing and they have never bothered me. Even at the characters breakfast they didn't hang around us. they mostly played witht he smaller kids. (the only reason I was at the character breakfast was because it was free from the convetion I went to.)

One time Minnie linked arms with me and stated skipping. I'm not sure why? I think it was when DCA first opened and we went into the animation building. Anyway, once inside she stepped away and my daughter and I walked away...no big deal...
:)

ChipmunkStar
06-21-2004, 12:16 PM
He could always just say "Hi" in a bored fashion. The characters like to play with those who like to be played with. Why waste their time on somebody who doesn't care? Of course, sometimes they may just decide to be more mischevious *because* he's bored with them. So... I guess, just tell him to deal with it, and avoid the areas where he knows characters will be (for instance: meet and greet queues, if he sees characters visiting without a queue then go around it, and don't go to any character meals except maybe Storytellers the interactions is very much a "you have to go to the characters to get it" kind of deal there). If it were me I'd just say "deal with it and don't go to them."

Wesley815
06-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Tell him to just have FUN, he shouldn't go to DL if he is that pickey. Gheez... just relax.

Emma
06-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Can't answer that question... I've been to Disneyland a hundred times, and my breath still catches and I get all excited "Oh my God, it's GOOFY!!!!!" :rolleyes:

leota's necklace
06-21-2004, 10:52 PM
I apologize, I think my question was misunderstood.

First, my husband appreciates the characters and the work they do, and enjoys himself at the Park. He just doesn't really want them to waste their time with him -- who isn't buying into the suspension of disbelief they require, and who doesn't really like having to play with them -- when they could be using that time to entertain folks who do. They seem to be fascinated by him and are drawn to him everywhere we go.

Second, the question was directed at any Zoo Crew CMs we might have on the board. Everyone else, thanks for the speculation, but I was hoping there might be some folks in the know on this one who could give me some inside tips.

ChipmunkStar
06-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Like I said, a "hi" in a bored fashion will usually do the trick. Unless if the character feels a little mischevious, in which case it may be a little bit worse for him. I would just say to avoid the areas where you know there will be characters, or if they do come over to him just kind of say "Hi _______, thanks for visiting, but I think one of your younger friends would like to visit with you." and point out some random kid that will more than likely already be looking at that character.

sediment
06-22-2004, 10:34 AM
I apologize, I think my question was misunderstood.

First, my husband appreciates the characters and the work they do, and enjoys himself at the Park. He just doesn't really want them to waste their time with him -- who isn't buying into the suspension of disbelief they require, and who doesn't really like having to play with them -- when they could be using that time to entertain folks who do. They seem to be fascinated by him and are drawn to him everywhere we go.

Second, the question was directed at any Zoo Crew CMs we might have on the board. Everyone else, thanks for the speculation, but I was hoping there might be some folks in the know on this one who could give me some inside tips.
Tell him to do it for the kids out there. The complete strangers who come to DL to see the characters interact with guests. Waste his time, BAH! He's in DL. If he had something more important to do, then he should have been doing that instead.
Magic Waster.

leota's necklace
06-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Tell him to do it for the kids out there. The complete strangers who come to DL to see the characters interact with guests. Waste his time, BAH! He's in DL. If he had something more important to do, then he should have been doing that instead.
Magic Waster.

Hey, thanks for being so nice about hy hubby.

You'll notice I said "waste their time", not "his time".

It's not really his job to entertain the masses, but he does realize some folks are into the characters...that's why I was asking if there was a polite way for him to indicate his disinterest in interaction, so as not to disrupt the flow of the performance. Believe me, if he wasn't buying into the Magic just a wee bit, he'd resort to the "kick in the slats" technique mentioned earlier.

sediment
06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Aah. I should read better. Sorry.
You know, he's not wasting anyone's time. That's their job, and they're getting paid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think everyone lives with the "Doesn't's" just fine without someone trying to prevent an incident.

IOW, I don't think it's a problem with the Rubberheads. Ever. (Except for that fondling incident in WDW, and those pictures were at a bad angle, you can't prove anything! I'm innocent, I tells ya!!)

However, to answer your question best I can (yes, I am not qualified to answer, but hey, it's a semi-public forum), I suggest, "I don't want to play," with a smile.

Ponine
06-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Leota,
I would say that what Chipmunk star said would work well.
I know in times past, a simple, "Minnie, I don't to play today"; or "Hi Chip, I tihnk that little friend over there would really like to talk to you."

He's not wasting their time, but it is hard to know which people to walk up to. I'd have to guess that your sweetheart looks very approachable and friendly, and that makes the characters come to him.

Wesley815
06-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I've just *never* seen someone so worried about the characters. I've been to the park as a guest and CM hundreds of times and the "zoo crew" as you call them (I would never personally call them a name like that) has NEVER botherd me, meaning not one of them has walked over or chased me around as I'm walking though town square or a big "character area".

I wouldn't worry about anything, go have fun... I doubt your husband will even be approched by any CM's especially with that attitude going into the park. I'm friends with many of the characters (closer then you actually may think), you won't have any problems. And the whole "wasting their time" thing, it's their job, from 8am to 11pm/12am there's characters out for everyone to see.

But as others have said, it sounds like Disney isn't the place for you to go with him. :geek:

Emma
06-22-2004, 09:03 PM
I've just *never* seen someone so worried about the characters. I've been to the park as a guest and CM hundreds of times and the "zoo crew" as you call them (I would never personally call them a name like that) has NEVER botherd me, meaning not one of them has walked over or chased me around as I'm walking though town square or a big "character area".

But as others have said, it sounds like Disney isn't the place for you to go with him. :geek:

I don't think she's implying that her husband has anything against the characters... Sounds like he just doesn't want them to waste their time with him, when they could be off making other people happy. :)

Just because somebody doesn't get all excited about the characters, doesn't mean that they don't "belong" at Disneyland-- Some people don't get all excited about Splash Mountain, or about the Fireworks, or about the parades. Does that mean that Disneyland isn't the place for them to go?

leota's necklace
06-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't think she's implying that her husband has anything against the characters... Sounds like he just doesn't want them to waste their time with him, when they could be off making other people happy. :)

Just because somebody doesn't get all excited about the characters, doesn't mean that they don't "belong" at Disneyland-- Some people don't get all excited about Splash Mountain, or about the Fireworks, or about the parades. Does that mean that Disneyland isn't the place for them to go?

Thank you, Emma.

Wes, calm down. My husband enjoys the Park, just not the characters. He's a very fun guy, he just doesn't like having to play a game he's not into. He's not freaking out and hiding from Baloo under a bench, nor is he "worried" about them. He wanted to know if there was an inside term he could use to clue them in to the fact that he doesn't dig on rubberheads. From your response it seems that you think character interaction is all the Park offers, and we know that's not the case at all.

And I apologize if anyone was offended by the term "zoo crew", I had heard it in that context before and didn't feel it was derogatory.

stan4d_steph
06-23-2004, 05:06 AM
I'm not hugely into the character interactions either. I think the suggestions of saying hello then pointing the character in another direction are good. :)

haunted_mike
06-23-2004, 05:10 AM
I can't say I'm a big fan of character meet and greets either. One per trip is enough for me, just to get the photo so to keep my Mother happy when I return home!

On my last visit to Walt Disney World in Florida I was accompanied by two huge character fans who made it their mission to meet as many as possible. I found the whole affair rather dull and uninteresting, I'd much rather be off riding the rides! I guess I just don't "get" what the big deal is, to me it's not Mickey there but someone in a Mickey outfit with a fixed grin and not alot to say for himself!

Usually I'll just steer clear of the characters when I see them out or about, and this is probably the easiest way for husband to avoid any akward meet and greets. If he does get "caught" remember that beneath the rubber heads are just regular folk, they're not out to make any one feel uncomfortable and if they sense that they are they'll be fast to move on.

Contary to what Wes says, it's not uncommon for people to "worry" about the characters. Most of the characters are big, and some are huge and alot of folks, particularly kids, aren't prepared for this. Others just don't like the whole costume thing, similar to how some folks don't like clowns.

To say you shouldn't go to Disneyland if you don't like the characters is plain madness. As we all know there's so much else there, infact the characters just play a small "supporting role".

Hope you and your husband have fun!

Photographer
06-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Do you mean to tell me that Mickey Mouse isn't real? :eek: ;)

C'mon let's not fight people. She had a legitimate question. Maybe her husband attracts the characters and hey I think it's better that she ask how he can politely tell them he isn't interested in playing. I'm sure the characters have gotten far worse responses than "Hi, perhaps that kid would like to play."

jafar
06-23-2004, 08:14 AM
The reality is that unless you're waiting in a line for them, most characters won't come up to you out of the blue. As a general rule, they will only interact that with guests who initiate contact, simply as a safety precaution. Sometimes when a character is walking about (to and from their meet-and-greet area), they might slap high-fives (or fours), shake hands, etc.

If a character does happen to stop and say hi to your group as you're sitting on a bench, etc., shake hands and either act disinterested or, as ChipmunkStar expertly suggested, point the character in the direction of an onlooking fan. In most cases, there will be a sizable group following the character anyway. If you're not interacting, the character will not waste his or her time. They know better than to bother someone who does not want the attention, since some guests have unpredictable reactions. Chances are, the character was just trying to take a break from the routine of signing autographs and taking pictures to have some fun.

Leota'sNecklace, thanks for your sensitivity on this issue. I'm sure that the characters appreciate your helping them find the guests who will most appreciate the attention. You've doubtless all seen how special a character greeting can be for guests young and old, but they are certainly not for everyone.

Ponine
06-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Oh you KNOW they have... and I feel for them in that case.

As I said before, her husband must just "look the type" to be approached.

I know mine does, and they try to talk to him all the time.
For us though, it works out. We have a five year old son, and all he has to do is stick the child in front of him when he gets 'accosted' and then he runs away. :rolleyes:

he's never actually tried to say 'I don't want to play' he jsut dodges them... but back in my day as a cast member, that worked pretty well

Tambour
06-23-2004, 09:35 AM
There is nothing wrong with "ZOO CREW", thats even whats written on the training materials from the character department. Thats what it's called.

I think there is some folks here just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If hubby isn't into it, there is no inside jargon you can use. Juse smile and tell your friendly character that the sweet girl paitiently waiting behind him/her would love to say hello.

Don't worry, your husband isn't the only person in the universe that just isn't into the character thing. I was the same way. I thought they were fun to watch from a ways away, but I would never go interact with them. It just wasn't my thing. Now that I know Mickey and friends personally, it seems I can't visit the park with out a big 'bear' hug from my favorite Disney characters (even if I was hiding under a bench).

so don't worry, it's all in good fun and you won't hurt their feelings by telling them someone else is more excited to see them then you.

sediment
06-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Do the characters come out from the velvet ropes anymore? I haven't seen capricious interaction in over ten years. (I'm not around a lot, so I could be wrrrr, wrrrr -- well, not exactly right.)

Tambour
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
yup... all the time.