PDA

View Full Version : No Trivia Next MouseAdventure

innerSpaceman
11-05-2001, 01:03 PM
Reliable MousePlanet sources have confirmed that there will be no trivia in the next edition of MouseAdventure, currently planned for April 2002. I don't know about anyone else, but I find the (optional) trivia portion of the event to be the meat & potatoes of the contest.

Apparently, the number of players participating in the elective trivia portion have been shrinking. Of course, doing trivia at the same time as the other tasks is more daunting - that is why it is an optional "extra" that gives an opportunity to score more points. No offense meant to anyone, but it's the extra challenge that separates the men from the boys, so to speak. As it has always been an add-on, knowledge of Disney and Disneyland trivia has never been required, and yet it allows those teams with trivial minds to excel and play a more challenging and varied contest.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks trivia should stay as part of the MouseAdventure? Are there those of you who think trivia is an elitest travesty that should rightly be eliminated from the event? Don't mince words, what do you really think?

Ghoulish Delight
11-05-2001, 01:16 PM
Well, having only participated in Mouse Adventure once, I have not authority or experience to judge anything. But that never stopped me from spouting off my opinion before :D

I did not participate in the trivia portion. Mostly, it wasn't what I wanted from Mouse Adventure. I wanted to run around Disneyland looking for things, not wracking my brain for trivia answers. That being said, I did like the fact that it was there and hope it stays for 2 reasons.

1) More winners. Since those who do the trivia are scored seperately from those who don't, prizes are given to two sets of 1st - 3rd place winners. I'm all for more people winning stuff. From a numbers standpoint, it doubles your odds of winning something.

2) The more selfish reason of it gives the less experienced a fighting chance. From what I gathered, the people who do the trivia tend to be the most experienced and knowledgeable. So yeah, it's a little elitist, but it benefits those who only do the scavenger hunt by removing the toughest competition. Heck, as first timers we ended up in 5th place in the scavanger hunt, only a few questions off the top finishers. Of course, I've gone to Disneyland yearly for the past 20 years, and at least monthly for the past 2, so I know the place like the back of my hand. But with no MA battle experience, I doubt we would have placed so highly if the trivia didn't exist.

So I say keep it.

Ralph Wiggum
11-05-2001, 02:35 PM
I participated with my brother and sister in the last MA and we wished we did the trivia and were planning on doing it in April. Bust!

AVP
11-05-2001, 03:02 PM
Ahhhh... don't you love rumors?

Just remember, gang, MouseAdventure is a dynamic event. LOTS of ideas are being tossed around. Nothing is final until the packets are printed - I'm certain the final result will surprise everyone.

AVP

KarenW2
11-05-2001, 03:10 PM
We've done the MouseAdventure twice, neither time signing up for the trivia portion as well as the scavenger hunt, because we don't know enough trivia to spend time on it, and we'd much rather discover the new things we never noticed before, that we found by doing the scavenger hunt alone. Besides, there wasn't enough time for us to do the whole scavenger hunt. So for us, losing the trivia portion isn't a loss at all.

BTW, did they ever put up the ranking of the teams, by total points, as promised? If they did, I missed it and would like to know how to find it, if it's there. It would be interesting to see how we faired compared to the other teams.

We had a blast both times, and can't wait for the next one, trivia or no trivia!

JeffG
11-05-2001, 04:53 PM
Must be budget cuts! :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

-Jeff

Disneylove
11-14-2001, 12:38 PM
I am alllllll for keeping the trivia! We have competed 2x and both times we did the combined category and like InnerSpaceman said, it's the meat and potatoes for me! I personally like the extra challenge of trying to do the trivia amidst running around searching for clues and answering puzzles. It also gives us Disney fans the opportunity to actually USE all that random knowledge we have taking up space in our heads. Ha ha.

This is BY NO MEANS meant to be condescending (please don't take it as insulting), but pretty much anyone who can solve puzzles can figure out the rest of the game packets (granted, frequent DL visitors will have an advantage on the eye spy part), and so that part of the game just makes for a fun Disney event. I think the trivia part makes it fun for the die-hard Disney fans who eat, sleep and think Disney.

I also agree with Ghoulish Delight in saying that it's nice to have more winners. Perhaps some of the non-trivia teams get to have that extra opportunity to place in the top 3 because we insane teams are competing in the combined category. Again, not to be condescending...

I vote for keeping the trivia!:D

MammaSilva
11-14-2001, 01:39 PM
well since I have never had the pleasure of participating in MA yet I don't have an opinion on the Triva issue but saw this thread and thought it would be a good place to ask if the dates have been set for next Spring???? My nephews and I were thinking if the timing worked we would love to do the next MA :)

Nigel2
11-14-2001, 02:05 PM
They shoud do what quiz bowl does (only some of you may know what that is), When a tourney is done they publish the previous packets (well they could put them on the MP site) so others could practice with them. They actually could try holding a trivia competition without being able to use a scavenger hunt, kind of like the game shows, I know where I could get a "The Judge" or a "Quiz-o-matic.:)

Niwel
11-14-2001, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
They shoud do what quiz bowl does (only some of you may know what that is), When a tourney is done they publish the previous packets (well they could put them on the MP site) so others could practice with them. They actually could try holding a trivia competition without being able to use a scavenger hunt, kind of like the game shows, I know where I could get a "The Judge" or a "Quiz-o-matic.:)

They have done that in the past. But, they said they weren't going to do it this time because they might want to reuse questions AND this way other groups can't steal the questions. Disney, unlike quiz bowl, only has so many questions that can be asked, so after a while, they could run out.

I love doing the trivia ... of course we all have sections we are better at than others.

They have posted questions from previous games (except this one) If you want the ones from the past game, you can ask one of the team who participated in it (every team received a disk)

Nigel2
11-14-2001, 02:16 PM
I am surprised they don't get people to contribute for small tokens of apreciation, but wouldn't let them play since it would be an unfair advantage. I am sure that a bunch of people out there know tons of good trivia questions to ask that the MP group didn't know.