PDA

View Full Version : Imagine...A Fantasy in the Sky New Narrator!

AP2CM
06-20-2004, 10:18 PM
I was in the park tonight to watch Imagine for the second time (first time since its opening weekend) and I noticed that they re-recorded the sound track with a new, less "strange sounding" narrator! I'm not sure how long this change has been in effect, but it's deffinitely an improvement over the original narrator (who was the same one from Luminaria back in 2001). Has anyone else noticed?

DCAWhites
06-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Either way, I still think that the soundtrack kinda brings the show down. Its nowhere near as good as believe's soundtrack. I just cringe at parts of the soundtrack, like when the two singers burst into "a whole new world" from Alladin. Everything seems tied together to me, nothing flows like it did in believe. However the fireworks themselves are nice, the fan is especially nice, and the firworks that have the strobe light effect are cool. however the heart and stars didn't come out well from small world mall and the mickey head looks weird. Overall the show gives me hope that "Remember" will be pretty good when its debuts since they have time to work on the soundtrack.

AP2CM
06-21-2004, 07:39 AM
I agree -- the show is NO worthy replacement for Believe...but I think we the sooner we realize that believe... is gone for good, and THIS is our show for the time being, the better off we will be. There's no use trying to compare the shows anymore in an attempt to get the other to return. It's "off the grid" now, sadly. Incidently, I think they upgraded Tink's light-up costume for the show, because it looks a lot better!

JeffG
06-21-2004, 09:31 AM
I saw the show on Saturday and was pretty surprised by the fairly strange choice of soundtrack. Musically, the show opens and closes with the opening and closing portions of the 2000 version of "Fantasy in the Sky" from WDW. The rest of the show soundtrack is taken directly from the WDW Magic Kingdom's "Share a Dream Come True" parade music. These are not even new recordings adapted from the WDW music (like the version of "Remember the Magic" used in Holiday Believe). They are the actual soundtracks from the WDW shows spliced together. The result is an audio track that sounds very much like exactly what it is, a patchwork combination of separate music tracks. The combination does not flow well and even leads to some weird repetition of songs.

Even though the soundtrack doesn't work, I thought the fireworks themselves were pretty impressive. I had previously gotten the impression from various online reports that the show was pretty much just "Believe" with a new soundtrack. Even though it does use some of the same elements, this really isn't the case at all. The sequence and overall selection of fireworks is quite different. I do think the selections and sequence were generally good and that they did an acceptable job of synchronizing them to the mix-matched soundtrack. I particularly liked the increased use of the fireworks off of the castle and the use of the various fan effects. I was also happy to see that they kept the Mickey fireworks in the show, which actually worked very well on Saturday. I did think that they needed to do a better job of cuing Tinkerbell's appearance, though. In fact, she probably should have been moved back to the beginning for this show (as it was in the original "Fantasy in the Sky"), since this show doesn't have the storyline to justify her later appearance.

While I agree that "Believe" wasn't really working fully with the new system, my instinct after seeing the new show is that they probably should have left it alone for this summer, focusing on creating the best possible show for the 50th Anniversary next year. While this show isn't bad and probably will still be enjoyed by most that see it this summer, "Believe", even in the somewhat reduced version that ran at the beginning of the summer, was a much better show.

-Jeff