PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Disneyland: Share Your Experiences. Here's mine. (Long)

Disney Crone/Kid
11-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Greetings,

My husband was feeling a bit under the weather on Friday, so we decided to stay in town. He went to bed early, after downing a dropperful of tincture of Echinacea and Goldenseal. He takes it straight. Iiiiicckk. He was determined to wipe out the cold bug before it beat him to the punch. Likely the bug that badly bit poor Ralph Wiggum. (Hope you're all better, Dave)

Yesterday started off as an overcast, dreary day with light showers. Feeling back in the pink, he decided it was a good date day.

When the sun broke through, we decided to spend the afternoon at The Happiest Day on Earth, Disneyland. We had heard from some of you that Christmas arrives at Disneyland on November 4 . Since we are rarely in town on weekends, we decided we'd beat the holiday crowd that starts in the latter part of the month.

We walked through the tunnel and emerged on the other side to another time and place. Another time because walking down Main Street is very much like going home. Main Street reminds me so much of my one-street hometown. Yes, Main Street is a idealized, spruced up version, complete with false fronted buildings, sidewalks, and front porches, and reminiscent of how things once were.

Another place, because all of Disneyland is sporting its annual holiday makeover. Everything is festive and Christmas cheery. The traditional Christmas tree in the square is magnificent and real, generously giving us whiffs of fresh pine. Main Street is draped with brightly colored swags, and wreaths are everywhere. There is even snowfall!

We ducked into the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlour for a late dessert. Sharing a Gibson Girl sundae for $4.99 -- 2 scoops of FANTASIA (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2047) ice cream in a waffle cone, hot fudge, chopped peanuts, whipped cream and cherry on top -- was very messy, but oh, so decadently delicious!

We hadn't visited Sleeping Beauty's castle since 1993, and decided to see what was going on in Fantasyland. It's a Small World is completely decked in its pastel Christmas finery. Toon Town still reminds me of being in a surrealistic dream while awake, and on the way out, we  stopped and enjoyed sweet and quiet moments at the Snow White grotto and wishing well.  I thought of Lani and Andrew Stroup's romantic proposal.

We strolled through Frontierland and boarded the grand steamboat, Mark Twain (great photo of Mark Twain (http://www.brachman.com/Disney-marktwain.htm) ). The upper deck is the best place to enjoy this attraction. It is so relaxing ad quiet up there that in an empty tiny topside room DD dozed off in no time. With a light breeze coming through the doorway, protected from direct sunlight, and the gentle lilting motion of the ride, the little 8-chaired room is the perfect place to catch a few zzzs. Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed the nostalgic sights of Frontierland from the sunny, outdoor deck.

We disembarked and headed for the Haunted House, "where two holidays, Halloween and Christmas, collide" -- as in CAAAH-RUNNNCH. Wow. I am not into ghosts and goblins and I am not familiar with Jack Skellington's work, so I was not expecting to have my socks knocked off. The creative imagineers have been hard at work, and it is vastly improved. The holiday detailing -- even to down to the bedding plants of gold-orange and black pansies at the entry -- was something to behold.

Our last time in the mansion was in 1975, and it was truly a new experience for us. Surprising ourselves, we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Talking about Disney landscaping: the red and white (candy cane colors) cyclamens and poinsettias are gorgeous!

We backtracked to New Orleans Square (I loved the purple Christmas balls) and picked up a bag of warm fritters with an apple-cream sauce and steaming cups of coffee at the Mint Julep bar and headed up the stairs above The Pirates of the Caribbean to get to our most favorite spot in the park: the little-known, open-air central courtyard of the Disney Gallery. The spaces occupied by the gallery were originally built as Walt Disney's (second) private apartment. It is a private space in the park, away from the madding crowds. A peaceful oasis.

Unfortunately, Mr. Disney passed on before he was able to enjoy his new digs in New Orleans Square. Opened to the public as an art gallery, we get to enjoy it for him. And I like to think with him. His was a mighty spirit, and you can feel it everywhere in the park, but especially here, where he had hoped to enjoy quiet moments in the midst of his action-packed creation.

The sounds of the fountain with water burbling from the mouth of a brass dolphin are calming; the plants are lush and healthy; and the air temperatures are perfect, as Mr. Disney had heating and cooling vents built along the perimeter of the courtyard.  My husband enjoyed the quiet of the courtyard, while I browsed the Herbert Ryman lithographs in a room that was meant to be a formal dining room. I lingered on the corner balcony with the wrought ironwork bearing the famous Walt Disney's initials and his brother Roy's, enjoying the panoramic view of the river.

The evening dessert buffet with the perfect view of Fantasmic is held here -- for a hefty price. We have not yet done it. I'm thinking, "I'd rather spend $43 on sushi..."

We stopped by the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland to pick up a refillable Sorcerer Mickey water bottle, large enough to be perfect for home and work. It is sitting right along side me. Water tastes so much better out of Mickey's wand.

We left the park and walked the long promenade through Downtown Disney to the Paradise Pier Hotel for sushi at Yamabuki. Since it wasn't going to be open until 5:30, we used our time shopping in the hotel store and watching the first innings of the World Series in the lounge area. 

We bought a large Winnie the Pooh and His Pals photo album for a friend's third newborn son. The Snow White & the Seven Dwarves is out and touted as a masterpiece DVD, and this may well be the first DVD that we own ($24 at the store, $19 at Amazon, ? at Costco). The reviews at Amazon are glowing! Has anyone here bought it? What's your review of it? Worth the $?

Click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=34418&t=6134#post34418) for our Disney dinner experience at Yamabuki Restaurant, Paradise Pier Hotel, DLR.

We made our way back up Downtown Disney to catch the tram to the parking garage, enjoying the lights and sights and the happy faces. Downtown Disney is a very happening place.

We were walking through the Disney Store, when we heard this VERY LOUD crash of breaking glass. A little girl had accidently bumped a ceramic mug off the shelf. Mortified, she burst into loud sobs and tears, falling into her mother's arms.

I informed the castmember who came to check things out that it was an accident. It could have happened to anyone. I tried to comfort the girl, telling her that she didn't do it on purpose, and not to feel bad. Accidents happen.

I hope it helped. I hate to think that her Disney experience would forever be tainted by this trauma. My husband whispered, "Disney can absorb the cost of that mug." He's right.

I was rewarded for my two good deeds for the day, as we got home just in time to watch the 7th game of the World Series in its 9th inning. The score was tied, 2-2. And then the Arizona Diamondbacks rallied and beat the NY Yankees. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but this was the greatest game ever between two of the greatest teams ever. It went right down to the wire. Loved it.

Also, Eric McCormack won an Emmy for his role on Will & Grace. Yes!

What a magical day! Annual passes RULE.

Sincerely,
Disney Crone/Kid

stinkerbell
11-05-2001, 12:25 PM
I love you. Not only are you the queen of DLR food, you are also the queen of positive and thoughtful details--Thank you! Your review has given me goosebumps and chest pains. I want to be there now. 24 days and counting.......

tjrj
11-05-2001, 12:39 PM
Thank you Disney Crone/Kid! I'm with stinkerbell on this one...can't wait-25 days for us.

mad4mky
11-05-2001, 12:45 PM
26 days for our family!!:D

stinkerbell
11-05-2001, 12:49 PM
Wow, gonna be a busy time at DLR. No wonder all the hotels were booked.........:D

Main Street Magic
11-05-2001, 01:58 PM
Thanks for providing some mental images of DLD. It's been so long since I have stepped foot in the park that anytime someone describes their visits I envy them.

As to your purchase of the Snow White DVD, let me say it is a treasure trove of delights. You'll spend many hours finding stuff. Just let the mirror on disc 2 go for awhile. HE talks back to you! My whole family said that the film seemed so bright and vivid on the DVD even compared to the VHS tape we already have.

Now, all I have to do is find time to watch Shrek, which I picked up last night after seeing Monsters, Inc.

Not Afraid
11-05-2001, 03:43 PM
What a great picture of a great day!

Sometimes my husband and I will barely go on any rides. We'll just grab a Mocha and sit on the drawbridge and people/swan watch. (There's always a few kids that say "Mommy, look at the goose":D ) One day we rode the train, monorail and the Mark Twain - that's all. Although I love the rides, sometimes the magical atmosphere is enough.

Snow White

We pre-ordered the DVD from the Disney Store on-line. It came with a set of 4 SW lithographs and another DVD of our choice (Little Mermaid). The movie is SPECTACULAR! It looks fantastic - clean and clear. The bonus material is fascinating. I usually don't even bother with the bonus material but in this collection it is just great and really helped with my Disney historical knowledge. It is well worth the $

Actually, I've been impressed with all of the recent issues of Disney DVDs. Dumbo is also a great one with 2 of early Dumbo inspirational cartoons included. (I'm a bit biased about Dumbo)

Its made me excited that we finally broke down and bought a DVD player, (not to mention a TV without rabbit ears and a dial channel changer).

Morrigoon
11-05-2001, 05:13 PM
Stinkerbell: I want to be there now. 24 days and counting.......

tjrj: ...can't wait-25 days for us.

mad4mky: 26 days for our family!!

Ahhh.... the power of potluck ;)

Seriously, I can't wait either...not only will we get DL, but a meet too!

(if this makes little sense to you, see the potluck thread in the lounge)

slaakker
11-05-2001, 09:02 PM
Stinkerbell,

See you there!!! I can't wait either!

stinkerbell
11-06-2001, 04:44 PM
Read part of potluck thread and hope to be there--I'll know more in a week or so. Thanks for the tip--I'd seen references to the potluck more than once and had been wondering......

So excited to be going!