PDA

View Full Version : 4th Of July at DLR

BigAlH
06-19-2004, 06:37 PM
We are taking our kids down to Anaheim in just over a week. I'm getting 5-day passes (from AAA) and thought it would be fun (and probably a bit crazy) to use one of the days on the 4th. I can't seem to find anything special happening on the 4th though.

Just saw the 4th preview/review for WDW, but nothing for DLR Anaheim. Anybody have any info on anything cool happening that day?

Any suggestions for dealing with everything with that many people (aside from getting there early)??

FYI - we'll be staying on an RV park nearby (haven't decided which yet) so will be driving in.

Thanks.

-al

Emma
06-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi Al,

The 4th of July is a lot like New Year's Eve. It's so unbelievably crowded, that you almost won't believe it.

Make sure you get to the park first thing, because they might fill up to capacity, and then you'll be out of luck, so go EARLY!!! :D

Also, Main Street gets so corwded about an hour before the fireworks, that it is impossible to even walk. I'm not kidding, I was in the middle once, about 45 minutes before the show, and I had to use the ladies room, but I couldn't because there were so many people sitting/standing on the ground, that I couldn't get through.

I have done two different things. For the fireworks, either get a spot with easy access to restrooms, or the exit, if you're leaving the park afterwards. Get there about an hour or so before the fireworks, and plant yourself there (use the restroom first :rolleyes: )

Or, (and this is what I do now) Go visit some other rides and attractions in the hour or so before the fireworks, and then about 20 minutes before they start, take the train to Main Street Station and watch them from the station area.

Whatever you do, have fun!!!

Disney Vault
06-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Is great moments with Lincoln busy on the 4th of July?

Emma
06-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Everything is busier than usual.... People tend to flock towards large, air conditioned rooms like that on really hot, busy days.

Disneyfreak
06-20-2004, 02:23 PM
It is a good thing I reserved premium seating for fantasmic on the balcony for the 2nd show.:)

David R
06-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know how good or bad things are on the 5th of July, which will be Monday? I normally avoid DL in the summer, but since I have the day off, I thought about swinging by.

Emma
06-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Since many companies are going to be closed on the 5th of July (When the 4th falls on a Sunday, they close on Monday, when it falls on a Saturday, they close on Friday) my guess is that it will be busy, but not nearly the madhouse that the 4th itself will be.
:)

BigAlH
06-20-2004, 07:48 PM
So... the big question is - should we even both going there on the 4th? If we'll be in the area for 2 weeks and have a 5 day pass, we don't HAVE to go on the 4th. Curious if there was anything spectacular or unusual for that day versus other days.

I wouldn't be opposed to going somewhere else in So Cal on the 4th if it was better.

Any thoughts?

-al

Emma
06-20-2004, 09:08 PM
I am sure that a lot of posters will disagree with me on this, but personally, I wouldn't go to Disneyland on the 4th of July (Or New Years Eve) again. It's just too crowded for me. There is the fireworks show, which is great, as always, but to me, it just isn't worth the frustration of the crowds.

I have 2 small children though, and that may be part of the turn-off for me, it might be different with just adults. I think it depends on the person-- some people do okay with crowds, and others hate them. When my husband and I used to go to the park alone, before we had kids, the large crowds didn't really bother me.

You should definetly see what some other posters have to say-- Maybe someone who didn't spend their last really busy day at the park with a 3 year old who was none too pleased to be waiting in any line that was more than 5 minutes long. :rolleyes:

awinner
06-20-2004, 09:53 PM
we have gone for the past 3 years, and would not miss it...we have lunch at club 33 that day...then we go to alot of shows rather than go on rides...they give out 4th of july pins at the main gates...we really enjoy the day

LAsptsfan3
06-20-2004, 10:16 PM
.I wouldn't be opposed to going somewhere else in So Cal on the 4th if it was better.

Any thoughts?

if it was me, i wouldnt go on the 4th. The crowds will be wall to wall like sardines. there are plenty of places to spend the 4th in so cal that have just as good, if not better fireworks displays, all you would need to do would be to consult the Register as to where the shows are. If your more into doing an activity, you might want to place a phone call to the Nixon Library (in Yorba Linda...not too far away) they usually have events planned for the 4th which are neat. Another idea would be to take the kids out to the ballgame...Angels are playing the Dodgers :) at the big A (Anaheim Stadium), if you wanted to do the ball game i suggest you go for tickets now as they would be selling out soon, if not already. there are plenty of parks around Orange County if you wanted to do a picnic...in fact i know that there is a show at the verizon amphitheater in Irvine featuring the Pacific Symphony playing patriotic music with fireworks that evening, and before the show they encourage families to bring picnics...theres plenty to do.

sorry for the long post.

if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask...hope you enjoy your visit here!

PineapplePrincess
06-20-2004, 10:22 PM
IMO I would say stay away on the 4th. I went last year and it was so crowded that if you died it would take an hour for you to hit the ground.It took us 3 hours just to leave and we kinda puttered around after the fireworks were done for a bit. Seriously, it is beyond packed. I couldn't imagine trying to get through everything with kids in tow. *shudder*

cstephens
06-21-2004, 09:53 AM
If you decide to go to DL on the Fourth of July, especially when it falls on a weekend, you just have to know what you're getting yourself into. Don't expect to go on too many rides, make sure you eat at off times or off places or be prepared to wait, and know what parts of the park to go through and which to avoid. When I was spending all day at the park, we'd do the attractions that weren't very crowded or spend some time on Tom Sawyer island. A few years ago, we started spending the afternoon in one of the out-of-the-way corners of the Disneyland Hotel. Last year, we got to the resort about mid-day, went to a movie and then didn't go into the park until dinner time. We had a few friends who were very hesitant to go as well, but they came because we told them we had a plan of action, and they were pretty happy with how the time went. Of course, they also had annual passes, so that might be a mitigating circumstance as well. I can certainly understand how having small children would make this a much more difficult endeavour, or if people were looking to go on more attractions. If that's the case, then pick another day. But I love the Fourth of July fireworks. I'm interested to see what this year's will be like.

TinkR
06-21-2004, 11:25 PM
If you're into major crowds and not getting to see a lot of what you want ... by all means go! If major crowds aren't your cup of tea or you really would like to see some of the park .. go during the other time of your vacation. We're heading down the week before and leaving on the 2nd just to avoid the 4th of July crowds. I have three children and the thought of getting seperated from them by crowds is enough to keep me away (not to mention crowds tend to make us all crabby).

If your schedule permits you to avoid the 4th you might strongly consider other options for that day. Hope you have a fantastic vacation whatever you decide.

BigAlH
06-22-2004, 07:17 AM
I think we might head down to Legoland for the day. I doubt it'll be nearly as crowded and they have some special 4th of July plans for the day.

Also, my son is about at the upper end for the Legoland target age group - so it may be the last time we go there.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

-al

rentayenta
06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
I would go to the beach. You have an RV. Park at Bolsa Chica beach. Spend the day in the water. Have a bon fire at night. It sounds like heaven.

blewellen
06-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

If it gets to crowded on the 4th, and they stop selling tickets, would they allow paid guests to re-enter, with a hand-stamp?

Here is our plan, we will get to Disneyland at opening to do what rides we can do and then go back to the hotel to rest till later, and then re-enter to watch the fireworks show. One person doesn't have a Annual Pass, so she would enter with a ticket, everyone else have Annual Passes.

I'm thinking its no problem, but we want to be sure before she invests money on a ticket and a hotel room. Then to find out she won't be able to get back in to see the Fireworks show.

Thanks for your help!

Take Care,

Brenda :)

Forbin
06-25-2004, 01:19 PM
5th of July will be OK, that's a Travelling day and those are usually light.

The 4th is gonna be MURDER! Everyone and their brother is going to be there.

Dani24
06-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Hmmm...travelling day. Since my bf and I will be driving down to DL on the 5th, I hope most people are traveling north (not south) on I-5!!!

Forbin
06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Best wishes to you...Travelling days are the WORST days to be on the road..sorry

Dani24
06-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh well! Last time we went, we drove down. We can usually find a way of having fun just about anywhere, and did on the last drive down. Besides, everyone goes about 90 down I-5, and unless there's an accident, I don't anticipate heavy traffic. Once we get to the Grapevine...that may be a different story. But, we plan to leave early, so hopefully that'll help too.

2Fast4U
06-25-2004, 02:39 PM
and....dont even think about going to Knott's on the 4th either. trust me, last year was a MADHOUSE!!! :~D i spent most of the night in front of perilous plunge because it went down around 5pm and didnt go back up all evening.

jimerwf
06-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm going to DL on Monday, June 28 through July 3. I'm worried about the crowds since this is the week before a 3 day holiday weekend and a bunch of people may have taken it off. Actually, I'll be taking my 10 year old to DL on Monday evening (driving to Anaheim during the day), Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Thursday we'll be at Knott's Berry Farm and on Saturday the 3rd, we'll be heading up the coast to visit my parents after a stop at the Aquarium of the Pacific.

I'm really looking forward to the trip since I haven't been to DL in over 20 years (and never been to Knott's or the Aquarium). My son went to DL with a relative 4 or 5 years ago and he didn't have a great time since they dragged him all over the place trying to do everything in one day. Hopefully, he'll have a much better time doing things in small bits over 3 and 1/2 days. Since we only live about 4 hours away (drive time) we could go every year for a couple of days, but I've been hesitating since he didn't really enjoy his first trip. I want to see how he likes this trip before even thinking about going next year when crowds will be even bigger.

If anyone has any ideas about what to expect in the way of crowds next week, I'd appreciate hearing about them. I purposely scheduled this trip to avoid weekends when possible.

cheshire cat
06-26-2004, 07:13 PM
It is a good thing I reserved premium seating for fantasmic on the balcony for the 2nd show.:)

I also reserved seating for fantasmic for the 2nd show. I guess I'll see you there then. That is if me and my family can make our way through the crowds everyone keeps commenting on.

PurpleDove33
06-27-2004, 07:49 AM
I called and talked to a CM yesterday and asked about the 4th of July. Since I will have just gotten done with a convention the day before. Which is most always going on during the 4th, I thought of trying to go this yr to DL. The CM said they are doing the regular fireworks at 8:45pm and then at 10:15 they are going to do a 4th of july show. I am looking forward to seeing what they do for the 4th. I am sure it will be way crowded but sometimes on special times like this you just have to put up with something like this if you want to get there on days like this.