PDA

View Full Version : DCA Stinks! - Literally!

C.B.
06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
With all the controversy over smoking in the Parks, does anyone else find the overwhelming stench of burnt coffee emanating from DCA obnoxious? Sure lends an offensive "air" to my recent Disneyland visits. I'd compare it to leaving a full litter-box at someone's front door, when guests are coming to visit. Phooey! :p

sediment
06-17-2004, 03:48 PM
We've done this to death.
24 on a search for "burnt coffee."

C.B.
06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
My apologies. I'm fairly new here, and wasn't aware of that.

sediment
06-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I was short, because fewer words is better. Hope the tone was NOT (inserted during editing) misinterpreted.

I think that smell has been there since opening. There's a bean roaster's exhaust close to the entrance. A design fault. I place blame on Eisner.

06-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Perfectly legit topic for a thread, C.B.

Carry on.

SCUBAbe
06-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I have never noticed burnt coffee smell at DCA. The last time we went we even tried to smell it but nor one person in our group could, but we sure smelled burnt coffee on main street in DL! We all noticed that...LOL...it was on the street by the lockers..

newhdplayer
06-17-2004, 08:47 PM
We've done this to death.
24 on a search for "burnt coffee."

C.B., you should have known this, if you were one of us. Don't ask these type of questions again before looking thru the archives.

drjones
06-17-2004, 08:59 PM
what about the smell of sewer throughout various parts of Disneyland itself. I'd prefer burnt coffee if i had a choice

Bruce Bergman
06-17-2004, 09:40 PM
what about the smell of sewer throughout various parts of Disneyland itself. I'd prefer burnt coffee if i had a choice

Another one that has been done to death :rolleyes: but it's okay, now you know to check the archives. I'll offer fast "Readers Digest" answers:

The "Sewer Smell" is from the storm drains - Remember, Disneyland is nearly 50 years old, and some of the drains that were properly sloped (1/16" to 1/8" downhill per foot) when they were installed have settled and now have low spots with standing water - and they're always wet because they hose down the streets and sidewalks almost every night...

Take standing water, add organic material (popcorn, leaves, grass clippings) and let it sit, you get a whiff of sewer smells and hydrogen sulfide coming up from the catch basins. :eek: They could probably perfume it away, but why?

The DCA "Burnt Coffee" smell at Engine-Ears Toys has actually been turned off the last few times I've walked by. It's a 'Smellitzer' (fan and chemical scent of Roasted Coffee) on the wall of the building - I don't mind it, but they need to get a better scent formulation that smells more 'Coffee' and less 'Burnt'... They have other ones built in along Main Street in Disneyland, at the bakery and candy kitchen, with vanilla scents. :)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

sleepyjeff
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
The DCA "Burnt Coffee" smell at Engine-Ears Toys has actually been turned off the last few times I've walked by. It's a 'Smellitzer' (fan and chemical scent of Roasted Coffee) on the wall of the building - --<< Bruce >>--

You mean to tell me they are stinking up the entrance "ON PURPOSE"?..... :eek: I guess somebody must think it smells good.

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Bruce Bergman writes:
It's a 'Smellitzer' (fan and chemical scent of Roasted Coffee) on the wall of the building - I don't mind it, but they need to get a better scent formulation that smells more 'Coffee' and less 'Burnt'... They have other ones built in along Main Street in Disneyland, at the bakery and candy kitchen, with vanilla scents.

I knew they did this at Walt Disney World because I was down underground in the Utilidor one day when the guys were replacing the stink juice and told me how it all worked. But I didn't know they did the same thing at Disneyland. I always thought their's were real kitchen vents. Learn something new every day.

Even knowing I was being hood-winked at Walt Disney World...it didn't matter. That wonderful smell outside the bakery shop continued to draw me in every time!

Always the sucker. ;)

cstephens
06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
C.B., you should have known this, if you were one of us. Don't ask these type of questions again before looking thru the archives.

I'm assuming you just don't like smilies and so chose not to include one and didn't really mean for your post to be rude and obnoxious.

sediment
06-18-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm assuming you just don't like smilies and so chose not to include one and didn't really mean for your post to be rude and obnoxious.
That's how I read it. More a shot at me. And I don't mind, should some higher authority think I'm too delicate.

myron61090
06-18-2004, 09:21 AM
You mean to tell me they are stinking up the entrance "ON PURPOSE"?..... :eek: I guess somebody must think it smells good.

for what its worth, i KINDA like the smell... of burnt BUT NOT OVERLY-BURNT coffe... a few extra seconds on the roasting...thing..... makes it smell good for me

or maybe i just got used to it because where i live, when one usually brews voffee, that whole village smells it...lol

maybe the scent is nice but they used too much of it or something

just a thought