PDA

View Full Version : Portofino Inn and Suites

Pages : [1] 2

rentayenta
06-17-2004, 12:39 PM
We are planning to surprise the kids w/ a trip to DLR for Christmas. I was checking out hotels (don't want to stay with family) and the Portofino looks like a good deal. Comments/suggestions appreciated :)

SCUBAbe
06-17-2004, 01:42 PM
I was going to stay there once, but the person who answered the reservations phone was very rude. I asked to speak to his manager and she was even ruder. So, I took my business elsewhere. They did look like nice rooms though.

rentayenta
06-17-2004, 01:49 PM
I found an unbelievable price for Christmas. $129.95 + tax per night including the weekend so I am hoping it's not a pit. We usually stay with family but I don't want to take over someone's house over the holidays.

Klutch
06-17-2004, 03:25 PM
There are better options near Disneyland. Let me relay the tales of two coworkers:

Coworker 1: Stayed at Portofino last year. He said it was "OK". While staying there, his van was broken into. The thief smashed a window and stole all of his kids' CDs and portable CD players. It happened in the Portofino parking garage. The local police said it was likely an inside job.

Coworker 2: Stayed at Howard Johnson's last month. He LOVED it. He and his family walked to Disneyland each day. They ate breakfast at the Mimi's Cafe next door. They loved that as well.

I personally have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. It's very nice, but the rooms are kinda small.

I recommend you check out the hotel reviews here on Mouseplanet.

rentayenta
06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks Klutch. I was trying to find a website for the Candy Cane, no luck.

I love Mimi's Cafe. Does HoJo have suites? There will be 2 adults and 3 kids.

TIA :)

Hakuna Makarla
06-17-2004, 05:11 PM
here is a little about the candy cane inn. by the way, I love your user name!!!

http://www.ineedavacation.com/disneyland/CandyCaneInn.html

rentayenta
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks Karla!

heidiwhr
06-17-2004, 06:44 PM
We stayed in a kids suite at the Portofino the first weekend in May. If was quiet and clean, and the rooms seemed brand new. The layout of the kids suite was nice, but the sliding doors don't close the rooms off completely, so you can still hear every sound. It served its purpose, though, for getting our 2 1/2 y/o to sleep while we watched TV to wind down.

A big drawback for me is that the Portofino does not have a restaurant, or any kind of continental breakfast. They give discounts at the Jolly Roger restaurant next door, but the food and service was horrible. I will never eat there again. The parking was ok - we never parked in the garage - but spaces were limited. Parking was free, unlike some of the other nicer hotels, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Bottom line? The kids suite was a good configuration of the room, but I'm not sure that is enough to considder staying there again when there are so many other options. I hope this helps!

stan4d_steph
06-17-2004, 07:08 PM
If you've stayed at the Portofino, please post a review to the MousePlanet Reviews section (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrportofinohotel). We don't have any reviews for the Portofino in our database yet! Thanks. :)

heidiwhr
06-17-2004, 07:20 PM
My review is submitted. Sorry - I just have not yet gotten around to it yet, but have been meaning to. I hope if helps!

Klutch
06-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks Klutch. I was trying to find a website for the Candy Cane, no luck.

I love Mimi's Cafe. Does HoJo have suites? There will be 2 adults and 3 kids.

TIA :)

Here's a link to the Cany Cane Inn web site:

http://www.candycaneinn.net/

Although, the rooms there may a bit cramped with 2 adults and 3 kids.

I don't know if Hojo's has suites. I tried to look on their web site but it's soooooo, sloooooowwwww... Give it a try. Maybe you'll have better luck:

http://www.hojo.com

Emma
06-17-2004, 08:35 PM
The Portofino Inn is an okay place, if you're really big on having a separate room with bunkbeds for the kids. That's it's main redeeming quality. The pool is absolutely tiny though.. just a small square on a slab of concrete with a few lawn chairs.. no atmosphere.

There's no continental breakfast... The rooms are clean, but I think you can do a lot better for $129 per night, even at Christmas time.

I really like the Coast Anaheim next door. It's absolutely beautiful. The rooms are gorgeous, and they all have balconies, and a view of either Disneyland, or ther tropical pool area. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they have a really nifty little coffee shop on property that is quite good.

http://www.coasthotels.com/home/sites/anaheim/

No matter what you do, good luck and I hope you have fun!!

stan4d_steph
06-18-2004, 05:14 AM
My review is submitted. Sorry - I just have not yet gotten around to it yet, but have been meaning to. I hope if helps! No problem! Thanks for taking the time. We appreciate it. :)

rentayenta
06-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks so much! I am going to check out the links right now. I am a little weary on the Portofino now. I'm so not in the mood to have our car broken in to.

Promo-Man
06-18-2004, 03:33 PM
I don’t think any of the parking accommodations at any of the hotels are any safer than any others. I would not rule out the Portofino Inn & Suites for fear of getting my car broken into. I have parked at most of the hotels in the area with out having any problems.

Merm8fan
06-18-2004, 03:39 PM
I've never stayed at the Portofino, either, becuase it was always more expensive than the other "nicer" properties nearby.

Of the properties already mentioned above, HoJo's gets my vote, as we have stayed there several times and were very pleased.

Another property to check into is the Park Inn (NOT the Park Vue!!) which is right across the street and is clean and affordable.

Good luck, and have a great visit!

rentayenta
06-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Could one of you please make the decision for me? I am from So Cal and have been to DL a gazillion times. I have never stayed in a hotel when in Ca. let alone notice any of them. We have been in Utah for 10 years and I feel like a tourist :crying:

I wonder how beautiful the resort properties are during the holidays? I am thinking I should get a partime job and save the dough and go all out. Decisions, desicions.....

SCUBAbe
06-18-2004, 07:40 PM
they decorate the hoteld for the holidays also. I stayed at the PP pier during december. The even had a tree....

I've only stayed at the PP, GCH, and the marriott, and some motel about 5 miles down the street. It was OK, the marriott was nice, but the disey hotels were better.

rentayenta
06-18-2004, 07:53 PM
I bet the properties are beautiful. DH is $259 a night. PP is $229. More than I was planning but I do have 5+ months to save. The Grand Californian is $329 and out of the question.

Emma
06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Go onto Mouseplanet's review section and read the reviews on the Coast Anaheim... (I think it's listed as the Westcoast Anaheim) I can personally promise you, you won't be disappointed. It's a fabulous hotel and the rates are always very reasonable. :)

rentayenta
06-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Okay. I have been doing some comparison shopping. I went to the Disney site to compare packages. This is what I found:

All these are the standard room w/ 3 day hoppers for all of us (the resort magic stuff)...

DLH: $1877.50

Coast Anaheim: $ 892.50...they include the 4th night free!

PP: $ 1897.50

Portofino Inn and Suites: 1561.50

HoJo: $1041.50

There is a mighty big window of difference.

Hakuna Makarla
06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I found this review today and thought you might like to read it rentayenta

just a little more about the carousel.

[/url]
[url]http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/CarouselInnLink.html (http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/CarouselInnLink.html)

rentayenta
06-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Thank you. It looks nice. If it wasn't going to be over the holiday I wouldn't be so crazy about where to stay. I have reservations all over town now, I just need to remember to cancel them once I decide ;)

Wendi
06-21-2004, 10:03 AM
We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in October 2002, it's the only "suite" I've stayed in. It was very nice, and they offer LOTS of free food, great breakfast buffets, happy hours w/hors d'oevres & drinks every evening, and burger & dog BBQs twice a week. The one drawback - it's about a mile away, so you will have to shuttle to DLR, but the place was basically an apartment w/full kitchen & plenty of room for everyone. The staff was great too. Check out getawaytoday.org for packages, they've got the best prices I've EVER seen anywhere, you may find a better deal there.

Vellamint
06-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Wendi -

How was the pool at the Staybridge suite...big, shallow, etc? I have reservations here and at Carousel and just when I think I have decided which place to keep I change my mind again!!!

Thanks.