PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Advertises Mummy & Atlantis!

Dr. G
06-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi,

I live in Utah and on the way to work this morning heard an unusual ad for Southern California. The ad had a checklist of items needed for a trip and ended with "screams". It then went on to advertize Tower of Terror, Revenge of the Mummy at Universal, and the Atlantis ride at Sea World. I thought for sure it must be a local travel agency who did the spot. It wasn't--it was Disney! At the end, it said to call the Disney travel number or look at the Disneyland website for details.

Sure enough, here's a link to the website (hope it works):

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/event?id=DLRSummerVacationEventPage

Doesn't it seem odd that Disneyland is trying to lure people through its doors by adverstising attractions at 2 other parks? They must really be "feeling the heat", so to speak, from the Mummy Ride.

Sorry if this is in another thread. I looked briefly but didn't see it.

Have a great day!

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Not that unusual. Disney has a long history of multi-target marketing. Some ads are Disneyland Resort specific, but others are more Southern California general, which are designed to make SoCal so attractive as a total vacation destination that's it's assumed if they get you to come here, that a visit to the Disneyland Resort as part of your plans...will be an automatic shoe-in.

Disney often runs, participates or co-op funds more general "Come To SoCal" marketing. I don't know if they still do or not, but Disney used to own and publish "Vacationland" magazine. It was a complimentary magazine that was mailed to potential guests, distributed by Travel Agents, and which you found on your table in all Southland hotels and motels. Disney sold space for ads in it to Universal, Sea World, Knotts and dozens of other Southland attractions. It was one of the earliest examples of Disney's participation in regional co-op marketing, and dates back I believe to the 1950's.

Weekenders are nice to have, but the Disneyland Resort still wants to also attract those with a week or more to spend on Vacation. And for those they have to compete with Orlando, Hawaii and other parts of the globe...hence the "joining forces with your enemy" to make SoCal look like there is plenty to enjoy and do for a week or more.

Of course you mainly see these types of joint ads outside of the Southland. Here in the Southland the ads are the Disneyland Resort only type, unless you get some slop from a network ad or outside-of-area satellite feed.

Dr. G
06-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Opus1guy,

Thank you for the insight. The ad caught me by surprise, so it's nice to know it's nothing unusual. It does make sense to hear the ad in Utah. We're taking the family to SoCal next April and plan to do at least Disneyland and Sea World and spend about a week. I guess I'm the target market and that's why the ad struck me. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks, and you're very welcome. :)