PDA

View Full Version : Who is Maynard?

Pages : [1] 2

Lynnabeth
06-17-2004, 07:02 AM
I saw the Cast Place article and Mailbag feedback about Maynard. Who is he and why is he so popular?

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 08:03 AM
You mean Maynard G. Krebs? (http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/lawrence/153/krebs.html)

;)

Niwel
06-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Maynard is a Cast Member at Disneyland who is known for really getting into "character." (When he was at Honey I Shrunk the Audience he would become "Professor Maynard" and was famous for scaring the wits out of people as a CM at the Haunted Mansion.) He can currently be spotted in Adventureland at The Tiki Room and as a skipper on the Jungle Cruise. Many guests try to get pictures with him or meet him.
I had a chance to meet him when I was working guest control in Tommorowland -- he is really a very down-to-earth guy who loves making guests smile.

dnyduck
06-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Niwel - After reading the cast place article I was very surpirsed that Maynard is so disliked by other CMs. I totally understand the frustration other CMs must feel when they are CONSTANTLY bombarded with the same question over and over again "Where's Maynard?". I don't think I have ever seen him myself, but from what I have read, and from what you wrote, he seems like a very very nice person who just really LOVES his job and is not trying to "be the center of attention" (as it was put in the article). He really makes the guests visit enjoyable and memorable. Is he truely disliked as much as the other CM discribed? Or is this just a few CMs who are frustraited with the constant bombardment of "Where's Maynard?" questions?

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 08:50 AM
He's got a great, pliable and expressive face...and he knows how to use it!

Very much an improve comedian, and reminds me very much of many of the great motion picture character actors of the past.

I like to think he's exactly what Walt had in mind when he considered the employees as "Cast Members" performing a "role in the show."

And considering that he doesn't have to do all the extra bits he adds himself...I think that says a lot about his dedication to the park and it's guests.

Maynard isn't the kind of guy you have to interrupt from chatting with a fellow Cast Member about what movie they plan on seeing or something, in order to ask a question. When he's onstage...he's all about the Guests!

Wish there were more like him.

sediment
06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Guests should be asking Cast Members: "Why aren't you more like Maynard?"

DJLCB
06-17-2004, 10:06 AM
You mean Maynard G. Krebs? (http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/lawrence/153/krebs.html)

;)

I fell for this! You sneeky so and so. Even remembering Dobie Gillis shows your age. ;)

Lani
06-17-2004, 10:08 AM
I do have to agree that I'd much rather see someone who is obviously "on stage" than CMs who are too busy chatting with their fellow CMs about last weekend's date, etc. Fortunately, I haven't run into too much of THAT. I can't say the same for a lot of retail clerks in the local stores, but at least in Disneyland I haven't really encountered that.

What really surprises me is that Maynard is a regular CM. That might be partly where the resentment comes from. It may be better if he were promoted to an on-stage personality role, kind of like Lagniappe in New Orleans Square. Then he would be a performer, and his on-stage behavior would be a natural part of his job.

Pammer
06-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I saw Maynard a couple of years ago in the Tiki Room and got a big kick out of his antics, although I didn't know who he was at the time. My husband and I affectionately refer to him as 'Tiki-Boy' now!

When I came home after that trip, I remembered that I had read a profile on him in the Disney Magazine...at that time he was scaring people at the Haunted Mansion. I would love to see him at Jungle Cruise and hear his spiel there...I will keep my fingers crossed for my next trip in October!

Maynard is definitely a character, and I agree that I don't think Walt would have fired him...he helps create magic for all of the guests he encounters. I think that Cast Member who wrote the original letter might be jealous...hmmm? :)

SpacedOutCM
06-17-2004, 11:27 AM

I find that to be an insult. I have my own ways of making sure guests have a great experience at Disneyland. Just because I don't have puppets or make faces doesn't mean i don't exceed Guests expectation.

I don't see why I would have to change my ways just to please the AP's who think he's all that.

Bill Catherall
06-17-2004, 12:50 PM
I disagree. While I've never had the opportunity to see Maynard, from all the stories I hear and read I understand he's very entertaining. But not every CM should be entertaining. I don't see anything wrong with Maynard doing his shtick, it's probably rooted in his personality and that's the way he interacts. Every CM has a different personality and should be part of the show as a) their job requires, and b) as their personality dictates. One Maynard is fun, but if every CM was a "Maynard" I'd probably get very annoyed.

sediment
06-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I didn't mean exactly like Maynard. Just in more character than the ones playing grumpy teenager with a cell phone.

EeyoreAdorer
06-17-2004, 03:12 PM
My daughter and I just returned from DL and had the unfortunate opportunity to have Maynard as our 'skipper' on the Jungle Boat Cruise. His spiel was terribly corny and most of his comments seemed to have nothing to do with the scenery that we were going by. Sorry to say that he ruined th ride experience for the both of us :crying:

sediment
06-17-2004, 03:33 PM
You should go on it again. And again.

Lani
06-17-2004, 03:54 PM
But not every CM should be entertaining.
I agree. Hence my thinking that Maynard would probably do better as an actual personality in the park, instead of a regular CM.

Traci
06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Not knowing who Maynard was at the time either, I happened to enjoy the experience of having him scare the heck out of me on the Haunted Mansion ride.

sediment
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I agree. Hence my thinking that Maynard would probably do better as an actual personality in the park, instead of a regular CM.
"And, for your entertaining pleasure, Maynard the Old-School CM! Watch as he tries so hard to make the guests' experiences unique! Watch him upset other CMs by making them look bad! What a tool!"

CaliforniaCrazy
06-17-2004, 07:28 PM
My daughter and I just returned from DL and had the unfortunate opportunity to have Maynard as our 'skipper' on the Jungle Boat Cruise. His spiel was terribly corny and most of his comments seemed to have nothing to do with the scenery that we were going by. Sorry to say that he ruined th ride experience for the both of us :crying:

Some people just get Maynard's sense of humor and some people don't. I pity the people who don't. So, you are saying that he ruined the experience for you AND your daughter, or just you?

awinner
06-17-2004, 09:51 PM
This is what Maynard looks like. (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4db11b3127ccebf1811b9a10f0000003610)

Emma
06-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Awinner--
THANK YOU!!!!!

I was dying to see what he looks like so I can look for him next time I'm in the park.

While I agree that not all CM's should be entertaining, I think it's wonderful that Maynard goes so far out of his way to make things interesting for each guest, and I agree that this was the kind of Cast Member Walt Disney had in mind when he started Disneyland.

BJW
06-17-2004, 10:32 PM
While I've never seen Maynard personally, my favorite CMs that stay in character are the ToT bellhops. From the moment you get in line all the way to exiting the ride they are all in character. I'm sure if some of the young kids are tall enough to ride it leaves many of them wondering "Could it be real?" The stares they do are priceless. So, to the credit of the CMs, I think that Maynard is not the only one that is good at doing this. There are also many other rides throughout the parks with CMs good at doing this.

Out of curiosity, from what I've heard about Maynard, I wonder how he would do working as one of the ToT bellhops?

Opus1guy
06-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Maynard as our 'skipper' on the Jungle Boat Cruise. His spiel was terribly corny and most of his comments seemed to have nothing to do with the scenery that we were going by.

You pretty much just described a Jungle Cruise experience as it's supposed to be!

cstephens
06-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Out of curiosity, from what I've heard about Maynard, I wonder how he would do working as one of the ToT bellhops?

As much as I enjoy seeing Maynard on attractions, I think he'd be too over-the-top to fit in with the bellhops. Part of what I like about them is that they're very subdued and lowkey and fit into the whole theme.

Princess Booker
06-18-2004, 11:02 AM
I find that to be an insult. I have my own ways of making sure guests have a great experience at Disneyland. Just because I don't have puppets or make faces doesn't mean i don't exceed Guests expectation.

I don't see why I would have to change my ways just to please the AP's who think he's all that.

Dear SpacedOutCM-

From the tone of your post, one might think that you're the anonymous cast member that wrote the letter in this weeks mail. If so, you seem to have a problem with AP's and PAP's like myself, as well as Maynard.

I'm sure you get asked where the closest restroom is, a lot more than where Maynard is working. I've never asked a cast member where Maynard is, but on the occasions where I have seen him, he is always going the extra mile for guest service and enjoyment. That's something that I've noticed has been slipping in large part at Disneyland, although it's still better than most other tourist attractions.

To me, More like Maynard means, more approachable, more attentive, more concerned about the guests needs, and willing to give more to make the guest experience memorable. Not every cast member is as engaged as they should be, as I'm sure you're aware. I've never turned in a compliment to guest relations about Maynard, but I have for cast members who go the extra mile to assist me. It wasn't their colorful over-the-top personalities that sent me to guest relations, but their superior service.

AP's, since we're familiar with how things are supposed to be on the consumer end are the first to notice when things are going right and when they're not right. So of course, we tend to be more vocal than the average tourist. I know there's some obnoxious APs out there, but there's a bad apple or two in every bunch. I always try to be cheery whenever I address a cast member and hope that I get the same cheerfulness back, which doesn't always happen. One thing I do miss seeing around the parks are castmembers approaching guests that have a confused expression and asking if they can be of assistance. I used to see that all the time. I've only ever lodged one formal complaint against a cast member, since I've been coming to the park since 1980 for being extremely rude when I was in no way rude. They didn't want to be bothered. I don't think Walt would have blamed me for turning that individual in. Sorry for the long rambling post people. Have a great day.

dnyduck
06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
VERY WELL PUT Princess Booker!

And just an FYI...not everyone who asks "where is Maynard working today?" is an AP holder.....I'm not and although I haven't out right asked it, I have thought about asking. I just always figured one day I would eventually see him.