PDA

View Full Version : More Photos: TL2: The Sequel

merlinjones
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
PhotoEssay:
EISNER'S TL2: THE SEQUEL

While shooting the Tomorrowland, Then and Now photo essay, Merlin Jones captured many compelling views of the current Tomorrowland for which there were no matching vintage shots. Here then, is the rest of the story...

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disneyland/tl/tl_ss061704.1.asp

disNeytEen
06-16-2004, 09:30 PM
well done once again, but it makes you so :mad: mad at eisner that...........ugh i'll hold off but amazing how a gateway for the future is rather a gateway to what we see in the present

RagtimePrince
06-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Sadly it seems like the whole area really is in a pretty awful state, but the thing that irks me is that I'd personally strongly prefer the "new" Tomorrowland, with enough budget for it to have actually worked. Whoever thought of running high-speed, heavy vehicles on what's basically glorified Fantasyland dark ride track could use a lot of help with basic common sense and engineering, and whoever decided to shutter the submarines right after hyping up the area just put a lot more folks in that endless Rocket Rods line. Someone really blew it on allocating funds to create a long-term draw.

That essay is of course pretty seriously biased in my opinion, I mean, did nobody see signs and or walls when Star Tours or Space Mountain was being built? Was the old mural not a hideous artifact of the 60's in the eyes of many and completely unrelated to the attraction there? Not exactly objective comments I'd say...

Tigertail777
06-17-2004, 02:17 AM
I dont see it biased really at all. For one regardless whether the murals fell out of more modern people's tastes, they were a large part of Disney history, and as such should have been preserved (they were original art from a BIG Disney legend). I dont mean they necessarily had to keep them in the park, or in that particular place, but they should have found a way to save them for archival purposes if nothing else. Instead they thoughtlessly and ruthlessly drove spikes through them destroying them. And honestly is the majorly cheesy flat painted board "drop ins" they put in their place any better? Just from a upkeep standpoint it was a BAD idea: mosiacs last practically forever... painted (and cheaply painted I might add) boards fade and peel in relatively short time. So if they wanted to keep it looking nice they would have to be constantly repainting it (just like many other eisner era things such as the toontown backdrop... very high maintenace stuff). I find it kinda funny though if they were so outdated why does the contempory hotel at WDW still have the huge mary Blair mural?

I didnt see the "walls' you are talking about, unless you are referring to where Merlin points out that some of the new tomorrowland, ending up making some very odd under utilized spots in some buildings? The only signs other than the opening page which is not commented on much, was the starcade and thats because they just blocked off a portion of it with just some dumb signs telling things.

To be honest even with this second photo essay Merlin has barely touched the tip of the iceburg of how bad tomorrowland is, and how many stupid moves eisner approved for the new tomorrowland. How very little things were tested because it saved money to not do research first: gee do you think maybe chlorine will rot away foam rubber matting? (the fountain marble thing) Hmm do you think rubber wheels are going to wear down fast if they have to constantly brake on turns? (rocket rods) Oh and lets use gold paint (notoriously THE hardest paint to keep up because the chemicals and gold flakes seperate much more quickly than colors using pigments). (space mtn paint) Lets build something that is merely eye candy, that has a lot of complicated parts that would make a maintenance nightmare, and look really really awful if its not moving. (that weird moving sattelite sculpture thing)

Did they honestly allow the Imagineers to test ANYTHING before it was placed into the new tomorrowland??? Some of these things it doesnt take a genius or rocket science to know they would not, could not possibly work on a long term basis. This is even without adding the stupidity of closing attractions without replacing them with other attractions into the mix. Nor does it add in what a poorly conceived idea innovations was.. in order for that attraction to really work as planned it would call for constant upgrades; were talking like every few months a almost complete redo of the offerings shown in there. Again not planning for the future, not thinking ahead, ironic in a land all about the future and thinking ahead.