PDA

View Full Version : 3rd park at DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

ken77
06-15-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I am having trouble coming up with a search phrase to find an old thread that referenced it. A few years back there was talk of a 3rd park being built. This might have been around the time DCA opened or was under construction? Is this still in the works, shelved for the near future or "just forget about it"???

Thanks!

imperpay
06-15-2004, 09:57 AM
I tried putting "third park" (including
the quotes!) into the board search
engine, and got several hits. I think
this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=27325) was the best of the discussions.

-Imp
---------
"It's a balloon animal. We don't blow them up." - Former Golden Horseshoe Revue joke. (Imagine a guy tying an unblown balloon into a knot.)

Bill Catherall
06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Another possibly helpful thread on the subject:

possible thrid gate in 2005 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=3695) (no spelling flames please ;) )

ken77
06-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Sorry...didn't know you could use quotes. Thanks!

I tried putting "third park" (including
the quotes!) into the board search
engine, and got several hits. I think
this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=27325) was the best of the discussions.

-Imp
---------
"It's a balloon animal. We don't blow them up." - Former Golden Horseshoe Revue joke. (Imagine a guy tying an unblown balloon into a knot.)

Bill Catherall
06-15-2004, 12:35 PM
"Westcot" was a proposed name for a third gate, so you could also try searching for Westcot. Try an advanced search and limit the search to thread titles and the Disneyland Resort forum.

averagecuppajoe
06-19-2004, 08:39 PM
I thought DCA was the original "Westcot"? Strawberry Fields. That's the third park.

We discussed this topic back in October/November (03)? The announced third park would've been underway already. The lot sits empty? Just strawberry fields. (Parking?)

Nothing ever materialized of a third park. Not that I can track down anyways. An official announcement, then nothing. I saved the article for several years, then tossed it. Just like the dream of ever seeing this third park.

They can't even get it together with the two paks they already have. I'd rather have "Disnelyand" back in all it's splendor, than to see another half-hearted attempt at extorting money from the general public.

[Lowest Common Denominator]

disney_j
06-19-2004, 09:42 PM
They can't even get it together with the two paks they already have. I'd rather have "Disnelyand" back in all it's splendor, than to see another half-hearted attempt at extorting money from the general public.

I agree. Why not master and use what you have to the fullest before finishing 'half a project' then moving on to the next. I mean, DCA is all fun and games, but, the potential is huge for DCA, I believe atleast. Maximize what you have now then build upon it.

karl
06-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Most of the references I had heard back then suggested the third gate would be a water park (Disney type Typhoon Lagoon, etc). A hotel would be built in the parking lot behind Tower of Terror to support the expansion.

There was also some talk of a DisneySeas sampler.

With the new management taking over Theme Parks a couple years ago I imagine most of those suggestions have been tabled.

-- Karl

malin
06-20-2004, 08:15 AM
I also heard that the 3rd park would be a water park,just like the original plans for Disneyland Paris.However due to both Disney's California Adventure,and Walt Disney Studios in Paris both being big time flops,the planned additions of water parks have been shelved for the moment.

Disney Vault
06-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Is it the same situation in Paris? Is Disneyland Paris doing well but the disney studios isnt? And do they have to deal with the same size isssues as disneyland or did they buy more land in paris than they have in california?

blondiemouse
06-20-2004, 10:49 AM
A water park in Paris !!!!!!!!! Surely NOT,unless they planned a large roof and LOTS of heating :mad:

malin
06-20-2004, 11:26 AM
The plan for the water park was to place it under a huge dome,with outside parts.The concept does actually work,because France already have similar water parks.We got them in Britain as well.

And as for Paris,yes the original park is still bringing great numbers of 12 million a year,making it Europes number 1 tourist attraction.Sadly the Studios are strugling to bring in 2 million a year,like DCA people just don't want to pay full admission price for a half day park,when for the same money there can visit Disneyland park next door.And Disneyland Paris has plenty of land left for future expansion,but sadly just no money to build these new additions.So space is not a issue.

Disney Vault
06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have a picture of where this land is by disneyland where a 3rd park/ water park could be built?

averagecuppajoe
06-20-2004, 12:02 PM
The reviews I've read for the studios have been abismal. From the reviews, it sounds as though the step down from DCA was quite a large one. Just when you thought you were already at the bottom.

I read of the mere 10 attractions, the main gate is counted as one of them. That's how bad it is.

Meanwhile, I'm saving my pennies to visit Paris Disneyland. I can't wait. Just hope it sticks around long enough to become a permanent fixture. Reports always sound as though it's ready to close any minute.

Disney Vault
06-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Why would disneyland paris close if it is doing so well? Why wouldnt they just close the studio?

averagecuppajoe
06-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Although Disneyland Paris is bringing in visitors, the company has defaulted on their loans several times over the years. Most recently, reportedly on June 9, three French banks bailed EuroDisney out for the second time, preventing a 2.9 billion dollar default on loans.

$2.9 billion in the red. The U.S. Parent Company has only 39% ownership. The second theme park cost $742 million. "Walt Disney previously helped keep its affiliate afloat by foregoing royalty fees between 1994 and 1998."

It was reported several months ago that if a bail-out plan was agreed upon by June 30, the Park may have to close it's doors forever.

"Euro Disney turned it's first profit in fiscal 1995. The company remained profitable for the next six years, attracting over 13 million visitors annually."

"Costs related to the new park led to losses for the fiscal 2002 and 2003." As we speak, the parks are still losing money.

From a financial standpoint, EuroDisney has never done anywhere near the business it was originally expected to do. Complaints of empty hotels, overly-expensive ticket prices, and general lack of interest have been around since the park opened.

From my understanding, a single-day ticket costs around (US)$73.00. Pretty expensive. To think people complain about $50.00 at Disney Land.

(Quotes from Bloomberg.com Mark Deen/Marthe Fourcade)

sediment
06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
DLP costs about $51 today for a one-day pass. $134.80 for a 3-day Disney Parks Hopper Ticket (their spelling).
This information is available online, to those who seek it.

averagecuppajoe
06-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I quoted the price of a single-day ticket from a person who visited and reviewed the parks online. I'm attempting to track down the review. (Can't remember where it was I read it.)

Meanwhile, I went to the "Official Disneyland Paris Resort" site to get a price quote. The quote was $40 Euros. The last time I checked the rate exchange it was 1 Euro = $1.75 US. The rate exchange places the cost at exactly (US) $70.00. I'm not sure why your quote was so much less or where it came from, but like I said that's from the official site.

The neighboring park, "Walt Disney Studios", has a "Rock'n Roller Coaster", Tram ride and a couple of shows. Reportedly a bad investment so far. The park is always empty to half empty. It only takes half a day to see everything in it.

Like DCA, it's not likely it would be dismantled. It needs some help, more than just a "Tower of Terror". It has only one actual ride. Imagine if DCA had only one ride and a couple of shows. People are already in an outcry. Imagine the europeans paying $70.00 to walk in and there's really nothing there.

From the pictures I've seen and what I've read, it's pathetic. Unbelievable for a project that includes the brand "Disney". It actually makes DCA look like a very large, successful, and popular theme park.

[On my previous post it should've read that the park would close if a bail-out agreement "wasn't" reached. There is a plan, but it's not final until the end of July, which means they're not out of the doghouse yet.]

karl
06-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have a picture of where this land is by disneyland where a 3rd park/ water park could be built?

The specific land is southeast of the park, south of Katella about a good block and to the east of Harbor Blvd. This is known as the Strawberry Field, a piece of land whose owners refused to sell out. This lot also connects with a piece of land along Katella near the 5 Freeway used for parking.

I dont recall the combined acreage, but it certainly is adequate for a water park and perhaps something more aggressive.

I dont have a picture to post off hand. Easy to map through mapping sources.

-- Karl

psg
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
If anyone is interested, I looked up "thirdthemepark.com" on Archive.org and the original Disney site is on there (June 5, 2002 and on back) with the maps and plans and all.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.thirdthemepark.com

haunted_mike
06-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Walt Disney Studios in Paris is a Disney park in name only as it lacks the trademark Disney rides, themeing and magic touch.

Everything there was built on a budget with little creative thinking. Be thankful for DCA.

Yes, it really is that bad.

Alf
06-23-2004, 09:40 AM
I'd be inclined to trust you seeing as you live in the UK and have probably been there more than once.

Off topic:
Could I ask you a quick question, seeing as you live in the UK? Does the prospect of baguette and jam seem weird to you? You see, my co worker said that "Europeans" would look down on Americans for putting JUST jam on a piece of baguette and eating it (as I was at the time).

Sorry for the weird question, have a great day.

sediment
06-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Well, I was checking the Paris site in UK mode, so the pound-to-dollar exchange might be slightly different from Euros. It quoted 28 pounds per day. At 0.548928 pounds per dollar, it makes $51. This was as of yesterday.

A year ago, when it opened (?), the exchange rate might have been different.

haunted_mike
06-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Off Topic:

I wouldn't worry about europeans looking down on Americans for eating a baguette with just jam. This is a perfectly acceptable element of a good continental breakfast!

disNeytEen
06-23-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't get why Disney thinks they need another park, can't they see DCA didn't work as planned for them...the opposite would be to lay low and build Rides for these parks and improve them...not to go out and build a whole new park. Thats just more money that could go to improving the two other parks (DL and DCA) then once they start pulling in the money and finally making what there worth (well DCA anyway) then those two can not only pay for there own additional fixtures but for another park... then you have not just that park making its own money but DL and DCA backing it up...then the third park can become something DCA wasn't when it opened.