PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stray away from my usual 'chicken' label...

Pages : [1] 2

sighlent faeri
06-14-2004, 11:41 PM
i'm really debating on going on a few rides that i haven't been brave enough to go on. these rides being-

the tower of terror (ALWAYS wanted to go on it,and now that i have the chance im too scared)
california screamin'
maliboomer

are these rides really all that scary? i have a problem with heights, i can see them but not for a very long period of time...(long time being over 15 seconds,lol.)

fccabs
06-15-2004, 03:18 AM
I got myself in a right state worrying over Tower of Terror when i visited Florida in 2002. I refused to go on it and told my Fiancee i would leave the park and go back to the hotel if she didn't stop pestering me about going on it (i'm a bit of a drama queen at times and she'd already been on twice on her own and loved it -its her afvourite disney ride ). However i eventually plucked up the courage to do it and its no way as bad as it looks or sounds.

I haven't been on mailboomer as i've yet to get to DL (next year or the year after hopefully) but i did doctor Dooms Fear Fall which is a similar ride in IOA in orlando and that was the most intense,scary and thrilling ride i've ever done. Personally i thought it was scarier then TOT but i enjoyed it more (Idid it 3 timesin the end wheres as ionywent on tot once) becuase it was a quick intense rush of adrenaline (polite way of saying fear) and then it was over whereas TOT when we were on it had six drops which i felt was about 2 too many. According to the guide book we have for DL the mailboomer is not as scary as Doctor Doom.

From my own personal experience i would say pluck up all your courage and do them. If you really don't like them then you don't ever have to do them again and you might find you really enjoy them.

slydini
06-15-2004, 05:29 AM
When I was in Florida I got myself so psyched out that TOT would be so sacry that I got physically ill and did not ride. When they finally built one in CA I went to DCA the sunday before it offically opened. They had a soft opening and I thought I would ride. I stood out in front of the ride for a good half hour debating on if I should ride. I was eventually coerced into riding. It was scary but I loved it!!!! Now everytime I go I have to ride at least once. It's a great ride. Screamin' is ok, but I love TOT!!!!!

SacTown Chronic
06-15-2004, 06:06 AM
i'm really debating on going on a few rides that i haven't been brave enough to go on. these rides being-

the tower of terror (ALWAYS wanted to go on it,and now that i have the chance im too scared)
california screamin'
maliboomer

are these rides really all that scary?

I can't speak to TOT (yet) but California Screamin' is tame and Maliboomer even tamer.

The only fun/scary part of Maliboomer is the pre-launch tension. The ride itself is gentle and over quickly - you'll be left wondering why you were nervous at all.

Momtowolf
06-15-2004, 06:43 AM
My 9 year old went on the screamin ride 17 times in 2 days!!! LOL Loved it!! I went on Tower of Terror and Jurassic Park at Universal.....not bad at all....over very soon!!!! I was scared on TOT but it's the atmosphere all around you that kind of gets you going!! Ya know?

got2travel
06-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Tower of Terror's scariness comes from the preshow more than the ride. I know many people who can't do drop type rides because of the feeling of your stomach moving up to your throat, but you don't get that with ToT. Since you are falling faster than the speed of gravity, you lift out of your seat, but its a floating feeling, not the gut wrenching with other rides.

CA Sreamin is realy a tame roller coaster because it is so smooth. Not the usual bumping and swinging. Have you done Thunder Mountain? If so, you'll be able to handle Screamin. Its no where near as bumpy.

Maliboomer still makes me nervous, although I've been on it many times. The launch still bothers me. But the ride is so fast and over so quick, there's really not much time to be scared.

My advice, just do it.

got2travel
06-15-2004, 08:33 AM
My 9 year old went on the screamin ride 17 times in 2 days!!! LOL Loved it!!

LOL - my 8 yr old's favorites at DCA are Maliboomer, Screamin and ToT He's a thrill ride junkie.

Niwel
06-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Screamin' was even scarier before they had the "blastoff countdown" since you had no idea when you would be launched.
My grandmother went on Maliboomer and really enjoyed it -- but I couldn't get her on Screamin'

As for the height thing ... Maliboomer or ToT might be a problem because you do go up several times (or you can just close your eyes). I don't think Screamin' will be a problem as it all happens so quickly.
Try ONE next time and see what happens. The only thing you have to decide is whether you like to be 'shot up' or dropped.

Bill Catherall
06-15-2004, 11:32 AM
i have a problem with heights, i can see them but not for a very long period of time...(long time being over 15 seconds,lol.)
In ToT you only see how high you are for a moment. Less than 15 seconds. If it's heights that bother you and not the feeling of free-fall than you should be okay.

leota's necklace
06-15-2004, 12:15 PM
As a fellow chicken I will give you my thoughts. :)

Maliboomer: never again. No way, no how. My feeling at the top of the tower was intense fear: even though the restraints are solid and I had watched the ride for a good long time beforehand to convince myself it was stable, I still had a totally irrational moment at the top of the tower and freaked, albeit only for a moment. It's HIGH. And you are OUT THERE.

My husband, who is not a chicken, disliked the 'Boomer because the fall is not gentle; it feels forced, like you're being pushed down. Even I would enjoy a few moments of free fall on this one, and it just doesn't happen.

Tower: I was sure I would never ride it, then attended a pre-opening press event and had the opportunity to be one of the first to ride. I couldn't chicken out, so I did it. I screamed like a little girl. But this ride system is actually very safe, with a lot of safety precautions at the bottom (you're not being "dropped" at all, really). Also, you are very much enclosed: you have a seatbelt (and handgrips at the sides of the seat), and the elevator is actually a safety cage. While you do get to look out the top of the Tower, you never feel like you're hanging out there, unsupported, which is what freaked me out bigtime on 'Boomer. The scream factor on this ride is not the height, but the fall, and more so the unknown quantity of falls, really. If it helps you prepare, learn how many drops you will experience before you ride, so you aren't in there screaming "OH GOD WHEN WILL IT END?" Of course, if heights alone are your problem, this ride is a piece of cake.

Screamin': I finally got over this one on my last trip. I figured if I lived through the Tower I could handle Screamin'. Tips: don't watch the cars overhead for a long period of time. I did that on my previous trips and it freaked me out worse. I took a look to anticipate the ride track, then rode, and made sure to ignore the cars whooshing overhead while I was in line. It also helps to ride at night -- you can block out the height of the tallest climb a little easier when it's dark. And the loop is a lot of fun.

So -- based on your indication -- 'Boomer might not be a good idea for you. But the Tower is too good to miss (you can chicken out in the queue if you change your mind) and 'Screamin is actually very smooth and fun, especially at night.

Bill Catherall
06-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Also, you are very much enclosed [on Tot]: you have a seatbelt (and handgrips at the sides of the seat)
The handgrips are only located on the elevator walls. Seats that are not against a wall don't have handgrips. At first this had me worried, but even though you get air and do come off your seat, I never felt like I was going to go anywhere. I felt pretty secure.

Oh, and even though I loved ToT, I screamed like a little girl too. :D

Lani
06-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I developed a pretty serious coaster/drop phobia after a visit to Knott's years ago. My ex and I went on the log ride, and he was sitting in front of me. As we started going down that final drop, I instinctively started to crouch forward so I could hide behind my ex (to avoid getting wet). He got all excited that there was going to be a drop, and leaned back abruptly... and the back of his skull hit my nose smack dab in the center. I almost blacked out, and I saw stars as we got to the end of the ride.

After that, I associated drops with pain and severe unpleasantness, so I avoided anything with drops.

OK, so that's my backstory.

Add to that the fact that I used to have elevator drop dreams as a child -- so I generally avoid drop rides altogether.

That said, in my first trip to WDW, our wonderful Andrew here and his lovely wife Jen talked me into trying out ToT over at MGM Studios. I was so scared the first time that I barely could open my eyes. Unfortunately, I opened them at the moment when the doors opened, so I could see that we were high up. Oh, the terror!

However once I was done with the ride, Jen asked, "Now that wasn't so bad, was it?" and I had to agree that my anticipation and fear were far worse than the ride itself.

California Screamin' had me kind of flummoxed, too, but after going on it once and seeing how smooth the track was, I was able to ride it a number of times after that.

Maliboomer? No way no how. It's nothing but a drop ride; sheer torture for me. I still haven't gone on it.

disNeytEen
06-15-2004, 01:11 PM
My mom is a chicken with side effects, she wont do rides that scare her and if she comes up with the courage to do them she ends up sick (that is how she ended our last WDW ... Darn you MISSSION:Space). Well she really wanted to try ToT (in WDW) and she did. During the whole ride i was concerned that we would end up at the hotel after this one. But to my shock SHE went and got fast pass for later that night. She fell in love with ToT and we went to WDW and to MGM the last day for ToT before it closed for re-hab and we waited 2 in a half hours to ride it, and she was so exicted when we did, but after we got off in closed down so we couldn't ride it again. So in a nutshell ToT isn't that bad for "chickens" so to say, but for Screamin' if you like BTMRR and Space , just do it!

cstephens
06-15-2004, 03:15 PM
The handgrips are only located on the elevator walls. Seats that are not against a wall don't have handgrips.

That's not true. There are side grips (about waist level) for seats not against the wall. I know - I've used them, though less on my last trip than my first trip. There's only one grip between two seats, though, so you might have to share with a stranger.

Bill Catherall
06-15-2004, 03:30 PM
That's not true. There are side grips (about waist level) for seats not against the wall.
Hmmm... I rode it twice just a couple weeks ago and didn't notice them. Are they on every elevator? Are they like arm-rest grips or are they recessed into the back of the seat? I don't recall there being anything between the seats and I rode 2 seperate elevators and looked for handles.

nintendestined
06-15-2004, 03:44 PM
There were handles inbetween the seats in all of the elevators I went on(this is at the DCA ToT by the way), three times I rode ToT actually. Though I was always in the back row, so I'm not so sure about the other rows of seats.
And the height thing for ToT isn't too bad, since you're inside of the building for the majority of the ride with only a few brief glimpses of the outside world. It's not as vertigo-inducing as Supreme Scream at Knotts' Berry Farm, where you're practically un-surrounded by any sort of wall when you're high above everything. Methinks ToT feels alot safer than that ride. :P
The buildup starting at the preshow really creeped me out though, and I was quite nervous at the elevator doors awaiting my turn to ride. o_o;

fccabs
06-15-2004, 05:06 PM
so you aren't in there screaming "OH GOD WHEN WILL IT END?" .

I have to confess that i actually did that !!!! My Fiancee still hasn't let me forget.

Lani
06-15-2004, 05:08 PM
fccabs -- I don't think those who get a kick out of drop rides truly understand the dread that we feel in the pits of our tummies on those rides! The terror! I definitely feel for ya. :)

RagtimePrince
06-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I think Tower is so incredibly smooth that even those who hate the feeling of drops won't mind too much. There are indeed very sturdy hand grips, and when the doors opened I was too blinded by the sudden outdoor light to even notice how high we were. It all feels extremely safe and smooth, even though at the same time it's very suspenseful. I strongly suggest ignoring your fear and riding.

California Screamin' seems to scare a lot of people with the launch. I really don't get why, it's not all that fast and it's fairly slow acceleration. The lift hill is so brief that you don't have anticipation issues, especially since there's already been one fairly big hill before that point. The loop is over fast and is strongly only positive G's, so you don't feel like falling out at any point.

I could see someone being pretty scared on Maliboomer, especially if one has any acrophobia. Personally, I find the scream shields make this even worse, since I feel trapped and closed-in despite being in a seat on the side of a tower 180ft up. The launch does come pretty suddenly and there are a couple big jolts and clanging noises before, and the top will force one up against the lap part of the restraint. After that, it's all less intense, but if you can't handle the vulnerable exposed feeling or the up and down, I'd strongly suggest skipping it since it's not that great anyways.

cstephens
06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Hmmm... I rode it twice just a couple weeks ago and didn't notice them. Are they on every elevator? Are they like arm-rest grips or are they recessed into the back of the seat? I don't recall there being anything between the seats and I rode 2 seperate elevators and looked for handles.

I haven't been in all six loading areas, but they've had handles each time I've been on the ride. They're not as big as armrests. Hmmm, how to describe them - they're steel poles that poke out horizontally from the seat backs next to each seat. I think there's just about enough room to grab it with your hand. If you were to grab both handles on either side of your seat, you'd look like a male gymnast on the parallel bars or a male gymnast on the rings doing an L except that your legs would be bent at the knees. How's that for imagery?

Emma
06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
I was really scared the first time I went on the Maliboomer. The scary part is actually the beginning when you are waiting for it to shoot you up in the air. We actually had a really mean ride operator who said "Okay, we're going to go on the count of three! One... And then he just shot us up. It was scary. I don't think I'd like to do it again. I know they have restraints but I felt like I was going to fly right out of the top!!

cstephens, you should try California Screamin' It's actually a very smooth roller coaster. It's soooo much fun! You're missing out!

Disney Vault
06-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Screamin' was even scarier before they had the "blastoff countdown" since you had no idea when you would be launched.\

When did they add the countdown? I went feb. of 2003 and dont remember it them.

Emma
06-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi DBF--

I think they actually added the countdown in April of 2003. Not 100% sure on that, but I'm pretty sure that's around the time they added it.

I like it better without.. Takes away the mystery. :D

uvsc_wolverine
06-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi DBF--

I think they actually added the countdown in April of 2003. Not 100% sure on that, but I'm pretty sure that's around the time they added it.

I like it better without.. Takes away the mystery. :D

I always liked being one of the people "in the know" on that ride. When you start the countdown (yelling at the top of your lungs, of course), and people just look at you like you're insane, and then when you hit one it takes off. I got a lot of "how did you do that" questions at the end. Or you stand on the pier, and start counting down - same result. I love how people just didn't seem to figure out the trick.

leota's necklace
06-15-2004, 11:01 PM
I haven't been in all six loading areas, but they've had handles each time I've been on the ride. They're not as big as armrests. Hmmm, how to describe them - they're steel poles that poke out horizontally from the seat backs next to each seat.

Hm. When I rode, I was in the first row, first seat off of the aisle, and I remember the grips being recessed into the sides of the seats. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. All I know is, they were there when I clutched for them. ;)