PDA

View Full Version : People Mover track

Pages : [1] 2

yasudab
06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
when i go to tomorrowland and see the people mover track empty, it is depressing. Does Eisner or management realize this, or do they think Walt Disney would have said, "oh, well that was a failed attempt and it will just remain that way." Do they have any plans for this, or is it just going to sit unused and remain a skeleton of an old ride? I remember going to Tomorrowland and seeing every space being used for attractions and nothing was broken down. Now Tomorrowland is a shell of its former self where there are only 3 or 4 things open to visitors and I never go there anymore. I hope they reuse the people mover track, possibly for an updated people mover ride, since a fast ride will break down.

Forbin
06-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Keep an eye out for Buzz Lightyear when it comes out.

KIDinTHEkingdom
06-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Although the people mover or shall we also call it the rocket rods track wil not be used in the production of Buzz lightyear, it doesnt seem as if much will be done with the track area anytime soon, Especially with all the new editions coming soon to Tomorrowland. I like it as a shade spot atleast! :p

DisneyBob
06-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Are we so sure that it wont be used for Buzz?

Disney Vault
06-14-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm almost positive its not part of the people mover track.

Klutch
06-14-2004, 07:38 PM
There's no way the PeopleMover track will be used for "Buzz". This would require a complete redesign of the attraction as it exists elsewhere, not to mention a major infrastructure investment.

As for its future, interestingly, SaveDisney.com hinted there were plans for a "new PeopleMover", albeit circa 2008. Returning the former attraction is pretty unlikely. It was powered by electric motors with small tires along the track; all of which have been removed. I don't know if the old vehicles are still around, but it's unlikely.

There has been much debate of late about Tomorrowland. No doubt about it. The current condition of this land is ridiculous and just plain sad. We could list reasons all day why it should be fixed. In reality, the attendance at Disneyland is very good while the park next door is making a loud sucking sound as people stay away in droves. Therefore, Disney management has no justifiable reason to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into Tomorowland. Not yet, anyway.

Symbolically, Disneyland should be a top priority for the Walt Disney Company. It was a triumphant achievement for Walt. After loud criticism and predictions of failure, it revolutionized family entertainment and at one point was the company's most profitable venture. Financially, all of this means bupkis on a modern spreadsheet. :(

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-14-2004, 09:45 PM
It is sad to see it there. But I honestly feel like they are going to use it for something or they wouldn't just leave it there.
I have a hard time thinking all the thoughts that people keep saying about Eisner and how he doesn't want to spend any money on DL etc. I just don't think that is the truth. I don't see him thinking, yeah Tomorrowland and this empty track looks ok, just leave it. I mean they have redone things, taken things down etc, in other areas and they don't just leave it like that. So this makes no sense to me to think that is the plan.
By the way, I loved the People Mover.

jrad32
06-15-2004, 08:35 AM
I mean they have redone things, taken things down etc, in other areas and they don't just leave it like that.

I disagree. More and more they do just leave it like that. peoplemover, subs, motornoat lagoon. There are plenty of examples.

averagecuppajoe
06-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Present management seems to think "Denial" is de way to go. Pretend nothing is wrong and maybe no one will notice.

It's become very typical to leave decimated attractions lingering for years in disrepair. "America Sings" sat empty for years while no plans were made for the empty hub. When it was finally reopened as a new attraction, it was a poor attempt. Nothing special. Nothing significant. An obvious attempt to "just put something in there". Nevermind the replacement could have gone into any wherehouse or empty building. A waste of the unique building that was once held a favorite attraction.

Sometimes "former attractions" just sit there as if to haunt us every time we pass by. They(?) must know that people like myself are haunted everytime we come across former attractions like the "Submarine Lagoon". It feels like a knife in the back, to let that lagoon sit there empty. I guess that's better than the alternative once discussed, cementing over it. There would have been hell to pay over that one.

So an empty PM track doesn't necessitate that anything will ever be done with it. All we can do is hope.

Hope and email.

Hope, email, and protest.

disney_j
06-19-2004, 09:37 PM
It's become very typical to leave decimated attractions lingering for years in disrepair. "America Sings" sat empty for years while no plans were made for the empty hub. When it was finally reopened as a new attraction, it was a poor attempt. Nothing special. Nothing significant. An obvious attempt to "just put something in there"....

The one thing i'd comment to that is this:

do we want to wait and have 'quality' rides? or do we just want something there now?

Edited: sorry, i read over this and i don't want the tone of this to be harsh, but rather a open, dicussion question

Tigertail777
06-20-2004, 02:41 AM
umm both innovations and the empty sub lagoon have been the way they are for MANY MANY years. So I guess my question would be; how long does it take to make a "quality" attraction? It didnt take Walt more than a few years when he was in charge (if that even), so whats the deal? Subs alone has been at least 8 years (possibly more not sure without looking it up). Sorry but the quality thing is not a valid excuse after this long of time.

merlinjones
06-20-2004, 06:10 AM
>>do we want to wait and have 'quality' rides? or do we just want something there now?<<

"Quality" rides like Winnie-the-Pooh and Buzz Lightyear... which for some bizarre reason take them YEARS to budget and build? I'll take PeopleMover, Skyway, Submarine Voyage and Rocket Jets in the meantime, thank you.

:)

sleepyjeff
06-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Hear, Hear!! It does seem that they are incapable of quality rides(sorry, they are not "attractions" anymore....just rides or trade shows). Some claim it is because of budget restrictions(and that is certainly true in many instances), but even given a decent budget(Winnie the Pooh), they still manage to put out inferior product.

It seems to me that Disney can go two routes; Plus the park to the max with quality everywhere one looks(and charge for it) ...or....continue to discount admission in order to cram as many persons in the place as possible and continue to dismantle well loved but costly to maintain attractions(storybook land watch out!!) and once in a while replace them with expensive to build but cheap to experience rides that have no magic whatsoever.

Shadowcat
06-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Bah, they might as well pour some concrete over the top of the track, enclose it with a nice 5 ft. high plexiglass "railing" with a light blue canopy overhead and use it for the queue of Spacemountain. LOL!

mousketeer
06-20-2004, 11:19 PM
I believe the track has substantial structural damage, so expensive repairs may be needed.

myron61090
06-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Bah, they might as well pour some concrete over the top of the track, enclose it with a nice 5 ft. high plexiglass "railing" with a light blue canopy overhead and use it for the queue of Spacemountain. LOL!

or better yet, use it as part of the indiana jone's queue line!!!

but honestly, that got me thinking into acutually using that track as the "reentry" portion of space mountain!!! impossible but hey, dreaming is free... not very much things are anymore

EO's Glove
06-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I don't understand why "new" attractions cost so much. Sure you have labor and such - but how much would it cost to put the old people mover back? Or the SkyBuckets (Matterhorn would drive it up I know).

Doing the job right they shouldn't be more than a Mil each. With all the inhouse tallent they could rehab, or even take castings off the old ones and make them all new - it wouldn't cost too much - unless they look at the cost as complete lifecycle (10years at a time) then maybe it would be more from crew costs.

Hmmmm, is this how Disney figures out costs for tax advantage? Budget many years of operation and write it off (with cash set to the side collecting interest?).

Aren't they filling up the Sub lagoon with concrete soon? At least you won't be reminded as much once you can't see it. :(

I think it'd be great if they'd do a retro thing and rotate some closed attractions every couple years (like the Eastern Airlines "If you had wings" ride - complete with the Eastern Airlines sign) now that would be retro!!! "Remember the magic" would take on a whole new meaning, they have all this stuff locked away in a wooden crate somewhere right?
That scene at the end of raiders of the lost ark was the disney storeroom right? :~D

-EOG

LAsptsfan3
06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
they have all this stuff locked away in a wooden crate somewhere right?
That scene at the end of raiders of the lost ark was the disney storeroom right?

woah, disney has the ark of the covenant? man eisner really is evil! :D

EO's Glove
06-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Eisner is evil......

Before they made his prostetic/animatronic body/pants - you'd never see him below the waist on TV. This was because of his goat leggs...... :p

As a matter of fact, once the camera man slipped while filming the opening
of the Disney Sunday movie on ABC and panned down to show just a little of those hairy goat leggs - one moment Eisner was nice and sweet, the next there was a "roooaaaarrrrrrrrr" as his jumped up, flipped over a table and attacked the poor soul.

ABC was able to "go to black" before the truth was out, and this was before the internet.

You think they invented that walking Mr. Lincoln robot for our enjoyment?

It was a byproduct of the project to conceal Mr. Eisner's dark secret. :eek:

:~D

I couldn't help myself.

-EOG

sleepyjeff
06-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I think it'd be great if they'd do a retro thing and rotate some closed attractions every couple years (like the Eastern Airlines "If you had wings" ride - complete with the Eastern Airlines sign) now that would be retro!!!
-EOG

Whoa. I don't want anymore WDW attractions....especially not THAT ONE!!! That had to be the most moronic ride Ive ever been on(and Ive been to DCA).

Pilot Mickey
06-22-2004, 01:26 AM
i find this hilarious. On the tommorowland DVD disney relesed a few monthes ago, it has interviews from former imangen-ears who were talking about Walt. One guy looked up at the castle and saw a spire he had never seen before, he asked Walt about it and he said he like one in france so he made one for disneyland, it didn't need it, but Walt put it there. Does eisner even look at the product he is releasing??? what i learned for the tommorowland DVD, Walt would make a good attraction, then go to the next level just because he knew it would make the people happier. And that is the secret to the disney magic eisner is missing..... right?

Alf
06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
I am happy Eisner will be canned soon, sure it wont fix anything but It will make me smile (I'm evil I know) :~D

averagecuppajoe
06-22-2004, 04:06 PM
My big gripe is: Why did they take out so many beloved rides in the first place? Who was complaining about the subs, and the People Mover, and Mission to Mars, and the Circlevision Theatre, and the Rocket Rods, and Adventure Through Inner Space, and the SkyWays, and the list goes on. I loved all of these rides.

The TL of my youth was fine. I didn't have any problems with it. If they never touched it, I would've been content. Present and recent management know how to defile and destroy, but not how to build (or replace).

Never remove something beloved. Never remove something great unless you intend to replace it with something greater. What's wrong with these morons? Eisner and his boot-lickers. It's contemptable the destruction they've done to Disneyland. It goes beyond whether or not we get a new "E" Ticket attraction.

Economics, budget-cutting, and Eisner's assinine corporate approach to running the Disney Empire have destroyed, and are still destroying an entire culture of Disneyana. The philosphies of Walt have been completely disregarded by Eisner.

To understand this, all you have to do is look around the park. The curse of "Eisner-omics" are everywhere. "Lets get every ounce of labor out of these people for as little pay as possible. Stretch the cast real thin to save even more on labor. Reduce benefits. (Wait a second, I think that's the Walmart philosophy.) To show a higher profit, we'll let maintenance go, and slowly rid ourselves of high maintenance rides, especially the ones no one will miss anyways.

I don't think Eisner's a bad guy for what he's done to the company, I think his refusal to step down and hand over the reigns, is what has made him a villian.

Of course he has no intention of stepping down by his own accord. Where do you suppose all that cash went anyways? Disneyland's making money and it's going into someone's pocket, afterall. It's apparent the money's not all going back into the parks.

Recent reports show that we may get a more intimate glimpse of Eisner's compensation "benefits" in the near future. Eisner doesn't want anyone seeing this information. Hmm? I wonder why? What will we discover? A vault full of missing "Disney Dollars"? Can't wait to find out (Odd, Enron comes to mind.)

adamcrown
06-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if they are tearing out the People Mover track that is inside the Circlevision building where Buzz is going? If they tore it out, you can kiss the peoplemover, or anything running on it's track, goodbye. If they left it, they probably left it for a reason, and have ideas about using it in the future.

EO's Glove
06-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah, they probably wouldn't tear it out 'cause I'd cost a couple dollars to do so.

Better to save a buck and give fans more false hope :rolleyes: .

-EOG