PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland question [Submarines]

yasudab
06-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Why was the submarine ride discontinued? I heard it leaked, but if that is true, they would have drained the water by now. Or was it just becoming too old with old technology?

Klutch
06-13-2004, 07:35 PM
There are a lot of theories including emissions (subs were diesel powered), fuel costs, maintenance, etc.

Likely, the actual reason is the ride costs more to run than management was willing to spend. I think the fact the ride closed at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World supports this. I doubt the lagoons were leaking in both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. Also, as you pointed out, the Anaheim lagoon has yet to be drained. I hear the Florida lagoon is currently being filled in.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
While I thought the ride was neat, and it was a perfect place to go, besides Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, on a hot day, I think it was outdated.

diznydreamr
06-13-2004, 10:28 PM
I think why I miss it is because as a child I really thought you were diving way down under the water, it all seemed so real!! It should have either been updated or drained and something else put in.

06-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Just the best attraction in the whole world, that's all!
And when those live mermaids were out on those rocks ... pure magic.

dude
06-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I agree that probably the biggest reason the submarines were closed is due to the high cost of mantinance. It wasn't that they couldn't afford it, the ride had been in operation for 39 years. The likely reason is that the money to keep it up would take away from the manager's precious bonus checks. Also, the cost to update or put a new attraction in has the same problem: the cost involved would put a dent in the manager's bonuses.

It's sad, really.

Pat-n-Eil
06-14-2004, 09:30 AM

Wow.. just goes to show how one mans trash is another man's treasure. We went on it back in 1996 when I took my kids for the first time - and even my 6 year old (at the time) thought it was cheesy.. I just wish they'd do something there instead of just letting it sit unused.

Klutch
06-14-2004, 01:11 PM

Apparently, the mermaids didn't last very long. Based on what I've read, the maintenance crew guys kept swimming out to the rocks to check out, er, check up on the ladies. :D

I don't recall ever seeing them as a kid. Then again, I wasn't really into mermaids at that age and may not have noticed.

Sure, by today's standards, the sub ride was cheesy. However, the same goes for sitcoms of the 1950's, 60's, and 70's; and there's an entire TV network dedicated to those!

Opus1guy
06-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I talked with a Sub Lagoon mermaid once. She was from the swim team of a local high school (can't remember the name).

Doubt it was the reason for Disney discontinuing them, but she said by far their biggest problem wasn't lecherous employees or guests, or swimming or the flippers or anything else like that. She said their biggest problem was the extremely high level of chlorine they kept up in the Sub Lagoon to maintain maximum water clarity. It basically ate away their skin! Before they entered the lagoon, they applied ointments that would provide some level of shield against the water and sun. Then they would have to shower and scrub after every shift, and then apply lots of skin ointments to breathe some life back into their dried-out skin.

So that no one person got too much exposure, they had many girls that rotated through position in order to spread out repeated and prolonged exposure periods.

And of course, they probably worked for scale. [rimshot][groan]

DonDuck
06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Speaking of the submarine area, did anyone read this (second paragraph)?

http://www.MickeyNews.com/Parks/Disneyland/Rumors.asp

hmmmmm...