PDA

View Full Version : Question about Park Vue Inn

dgk2
06-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Got a quick question for everyone. We are going to the Park Nov 18-22nd with my gang, and my sister-in-law's troupe. Anywho, we have a total of 3 adults and 4 kids going, and we were quoted a great rate for a suite at the Park Vue.

Now, I can see the reviews have been mixed, but I did notice since the rennovation the reviews have generally been pretty good... So could anyone give us a quick rundown of the hotel. Is it pretty good now???

We are getting a two bedroom suite for $103 a night. The Carousel Inn and suites is offering a suite for $120 a night, and finally, the Carraige Inn has a suite for $89 a night... NOTE: We are trying to keep the price down.

Any input and suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Yancy & Debbie

Andrew
06-13-2004, 09:52 PM
I didn't know about the renovation, but I can tell you for sure that before this the place was one to avoid--unless saving money is your only concern. The rooms were beyond run-down and into "shabby", the bathtub seemed to have water trapped underneath the tub bottom (eww) and the soundproofing between rooms was nonexistent.
On the good side, it's very close to the Resort entrance, and you get a lovely view of Disneyland fireworks from the upper walkway.

diznydreamr
06-13-2004, 10:36 PM
We have stayed at the Park Place Inn a couple of times. (I believe it is very close to the Park Vue Inn) They offer a free Continental Breakfast at the restaurant next door, which probably saves us about $20.00/day.

tink1234
06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
I will be very honest with you. We paid $45-55 for a standard room. I believe the room needed to be updated and was NO WHERE near the 3 star rating I saw posted when I rented. That said, it was clean. In fact we had washed clothes and hung them over the shower curtain rod and the maid pulled out the clothes line and carefully moved them all for us. My mom arrived the next day and the staff gave her a connecting room to ours. (We had already paid for it and requested a connecting if possible.)

The continental breakfast was no frills, but good. Toast and jelly, fruit that was a little too ripe, muffins and bagels. You get to sit roof top and enjoy it indoors or out. There is an IHOP right next door if you don't want the motel's breakfast.

You can't beat the location. I believe the hotel right next door is 4 inches closer to the entrance to DL, but you would never know it. :p The dc enjoyed watching the fireworks from our room each night. We didn't use the pool, but noticed it was tiny. There is a gift shop that seemed like overpriced touristy stuff to me. There is also a tiny arcade in the lobby behind the check-out counter and through the door.

So all that said, the room was worth the price and I would stay there again. If you have young children and are on a budget you can't beat the location.

Shadowcat
06-14-2004, 07:46 AM
We stayed at the Park Vue Inn last May with our son who was 2 at the time and didn't have a problem. Everything was clean in our room (we had a room in the very back left corner, first floor). The hotel was pretty full of guests as well, but it was still pretty quiet. It was great having a microwave and fridge in the room, as we re-heated leftovers for dinner a few nights during our week stay. And IHOP is right next door, where kids eat free after 4pm ( they were running this special at the time we were staying, not sure if it's still going on, but it helped a lot with our budget).

The gift shop was pretty standard as far as gift shops go, but I wanted to add that if you go far to the right of the shop, they carry lots of grocery items, and had bottles of milk there which was a necessity with our son who drinks a lot of it. I believe the cost was about $1 per bottle and I would gues it was 16 oz but not 100% sure on that. It was enough to fill his large platex drinking cup one and a half times. The milk bottles were replenished daily with more fresh bottles and there were lots of other food items there as well.

We did swim in the pool and tho it is small, it was quiet (you couldn't hear any traffic or anything) and very clean.

Housekeeping was very quick to bring us more pillows and towels when we called, and the continental breakfast on the second floor patio was pretty much what you would expect for a free breakfast. Muffins, donuts, juices, fruits, milk, etc....

We got a rate of $55 a night last May and I found it to be a great budget hotel. I would stay there again.

slaght4
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I am not sure when they did the renovating, but we stayed there for a week in the summer of 2002. We had a room on the first floor in the back. I originally reserved a room with a king bed and sleeper sofa, but at check in they didn't have one available. So we had to settle for a room with 2 double beds (I think). Then after getting into our room my youngest found ants all over the end table between the beds. Since they didn't have any other rooms availabe maintenance came to spray, and I don't remember having any further "visitors". The two biggest problems I saw while there was that while I was checking in the front desk people were switching out from one shift to another and the person leaving was telling the guy coming on that they had overbooked and that several people had arrived by airport shuttle early and left their baggage to go over to the park until later. And now they no longer had any rooms available for them. I was shocked that these people would come back later assuming they had a room. And the other thing is if you drive in, the parking seemed a little limited compared to the rooms. There was a good chance if you left you may not have a parking space when you returned. Again, this was 2002 and many things may have changed, but thought I would share our experience. Good luck!

tink1234
06-14-2004, 12:13 PM
The two biggest problems I saw while there was that while I was checking in the front desk people were switching out from one shift to another and the person leaving was telling the guy coming on that they had overbooked and that several people had arrived by airport shuttle early and left their baggage to go over to the park until later. And now they no longer had any rooms available for them. I was shocked that these people would come back later assuming they had a room.

Off topic a little, but do they have to compensate when this happens? I would have a cow if this happened to me!! :eek:

slaght4
06-14-2004, 12:46 PM
I agree, I told my DH that if I had reservations and got back to find I had no room...
But I have been told that this is actually a pretty comon practice and that it wasn't unusual for a hotel to make arraingments to send you to a different hotel. When making my reservations with Willie at HoJo I asked if they participate in this type of thing. He assured me that at Hojo they only book for the number of rooms available.

got2travel
06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
I haven't stayed at the Park Vue so can't comment on the rooms. But did have reservations once, which I cancelled in plenty of time but still got charged for the first night, twice. It was a pain trying to get a credit. So because of the poor service on that occasion, I will never stay at the Park Vue.

Now my absolute favorite on the Harbor strip is the Carousel. I've stayed in a king room, 2 queens, and their 2 bath suite. Each room has been very spacious and clean. You get a fridge and microwave. (For some reason many hotels don't have the microwave.) The suite was a regular hotel room with 2 queen beds, bath, tv, table $ chairs, etc. Then it had an added bedroom with 1 queen bed, another TV and another full bath. The breakfast is one of the better with many choices, not just danish and coffee, but also toast, jelly, bagels, cream cheese, muffins, yogurt and fruit. We have a blast sitting in the breakfast room overlooking the parks and planning our day.

Have you asked for a AAA or Entertainment discount? Our suite was only $99 on New Year's weekend using our Entertainment discount.

Oh, and IHOP always has kid's eat free after 4pm everyday.

Hakuna Makarla
06-14-2004, 03:04 PM
I am pleased, we plan on staying there and I did have some reservations about staying there since not to many posts have talked about this motel. Glad you liked it, I feel better about us staying there.

dgk2
06-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Well, I'm getting a little concerned by all of the responses. My wife was looking into the Desert Inn and Suites... I seem to hear much better things about it, and the room rate they are quoting is insane ($79 a night for a 6-person suite)....

Arggg... the choices. If things weren't so tight for my sister-in-law we would just stay at our old reliable (HoJo).

Yancy

got2travel
06-14-2004, 07:12 PM
I've stayed in the Desert Inn parlor suite. They make it sound nice, but its kind of small. You walk in to a small living area with a couch, coffee table, TV and fridge. The couch is a small sofa bed that is supposed to hold 2, I'd say a small 2. The next room is completed separated from the first and contains 2 queen beds with another TV and the bathroom at the far end.

I don't care for the regular rooms here, but the suites are good for the price you pay. And you're still very close to the park.

ozbeauticn
06-14-2004, 09:17 PM
I stay at Park Vue almost every time I go to Disneyland. It is one of the closest hotels to the entrance of the resort. I am not the kind of person to spend a lot of time in a hotel room or need anything really plush, so the Park Vue is perfect for me. It is clean and the management is very receptive if you have a problem. On our last stay our carpet felt sticky so the next day the shampooed the carpets. Also, on one of our visits they accidentally overbooked so they upgraded us for free to a suite. The suite was pretty nice, a room with couch and tv and a separate room with 2 beds and a bar kitchenette type thing. The pool is also pretty small but every time I have swam in it we were the only ones there. It was nice and got deep enough to actually swim but also with a shallow part to just laze in.

The only time recently that I haven't stayed there was when we booked a package through AAA and had to choose a good neighbor hotel. We stayed at Carousel Inn, which was also a pretty nice hotel, but was a little further walk and the room seemed smaller.

TravisL
06-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Five of us stayed in a 2-bed room (#138) June 4-8, and would stay there again. One of the things I didn't mention in my recently posted review (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrparkvueinn) was that we could hear the people outside going up and down the stairs, but it wasn't much of a problem getting to sleep. It was just as good as the Jolly Roger was two years ago, with a lot shorter hike.