PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Anaheim near Disneyland

shalisat
06-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi there, I'll be in Anaheim the first week of September and staying at the Hyatt, which we got a rate with from Priceline. Unfortunetely they charge a daily parking rate of 12 dollars. I'd like to know if there are some parking garages in the area that charge less if anyone has the info I'd be most grateful. We don't mind walking a ways to our hotel. Thanks.

SCUBAbe
06-12-2004, 09:47 AM
wow...$12.00 seems high. I think I paid that much to valet my car at GCH. I widh I could help with parking, but we usually just park in the structure or valrt it at the hotels if we're spending the night.

adamcrown
06-12-2004, 06:54 PM
I stayed at the Hyatt a month or so ago. We got a great rate and the hotel was nice but parking was ridiculous. I ended up parking at the hotel next door which did not have any "Hotel parking only" signs posted at the time. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the hotel but if you look out the main entrance to the Hyatt, it is the parking lot just beyond the Hyatt parking lot. Unfortunately, though the lot is close it is still a decent walk because there were no gates in the fence so you have to walk out to the street and back. Still, it worked out fine for me. A cheap skate like me would rather take a walk and get some exercise than pay $12 any day :)

You might want to eat at that nice parking friendly hotel's restaurant just to say thanks.

Bruce Bergman
06-12-2004, 10:45 PM
I stayed at the Hyatt a month or so ago. We got a great rate and the hotel was nice but parking was ridiculous. I ended up parking at the hotel next door which did not have any "Hotel parking only" signs posted at the time. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the hotel but if you look out the main entrance to the Hyatt, it is the parking lot just beyond the Hyatt parking lot. Unfortunately, though the lot is close it is still a decent walk because there were no gates in the fence so you have to walk out to the street and back. Still, it worked out fine for me. A cheap skate like me would rather take a walk and get some exercise than pay $12 any day :)

You might want to eat at that nice parking friendly hotel's restaurant just to say thanks.

Gee, you might want to have pleny of cash on hand, too - avoiding the daily parking fee can cost you a Whole Lot More when they tow your car. Just because there aren't signs posted where you can see them doesn't mean they won't tow you. They put the No Parking sign back up that keeps getting <ahem> "Stolen" and call the tow service.

And the best part is, even if you think it was towed illegally, you still have to pay to get the car back...

But there is a perfectly legal trick you can use - is there anyone in the party going with you that is legally handicapped? Make sure you bring your hang tag and ID, because all those hotels have handicapped parking up front, and it is free.

Myself, I wouldn't stay at that hotel, and I'd be sure to tell them why. They're stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. Same thing with charging outrageous telephone charges, but there is a workaround for that stupidity - that's why everyone owns a cellphone.

Is Priceline the one that doesn't tell you which hotel you are getting, or little details like the parking fees? Don't use them again, and make sure they know why, too. If they realize that they're losing business, they might change policies.

--<< Bruce >>--

Forbin
06-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Do you AAA? Some hotels give free parking to AAA members.

shalisat
06-13-2004, 07:12 AM
well, there are some nuances with using priceline, but i've used them quite a bit for hotels when I just want someplace cheap, and even though sometimes there are fees, such as 12 dollar parking...they do tell you it can happen. Plus, at 28 dollars a night for the hyatt, i'm not complaining. Even with 12 dollars for parking it only makes it 40 dollars a night (but I'm a cheap-skate and would rather not pay the 12 bucks). Thanks for the tips. If anyone else has any more info I'd appreciate it.

spectromen
06-14-2004, 07:40 AM
That's a GREAT rate for that hotel! congratulations!
I know that the many times I have visited that hotel, I've always been able to park on Chapman Ave with no restrictions. I haven't done that since the new hotels went in that replaced the mobile home park, but I wouldn't think they changed the street parking rules, so try that. It's right across the street from the hotel.

Bruce Bergman
06-14-2004, 05:38 PM
That's a GREAT rate for that hotel! congratulations!
I know that the many times I have visited that hotel, I've always been able to park on Chapman Ave with no restrictions. I haven't done that since the new hotels went in that replaced the mobile home park, but I wouldn't think they changed the street parking rules, so try that. It's right across the street from the hotel.

Be sure to check the signs CAREFULLY before you street park - Often when local businesses are charging large fees to park, it's because they know they can get away with it. :~D Either there are street parking restrictions, or they're offering a "Secured" lot in a bad neighborhood.

It's a "Chicken or Egg" phenomena - the single-family residences near a high-density business or apartment district get tired of all the office workers and apartment dwellers taking up all the street parking for 6 blocks (rather than pay for parking in the company lot - or the company doesn't have sufficient parking), so they get the neighborhood turned into a "Permit Parking Only" area to keep the 'transient parkers' out. Then the owners of private parking lots have free rein to charge whatever the market will bear.

Or the parking lot owners get in with the city to put on the street parking restrictions to create their own enhanced market... Either way the city doesn't mind, because parking tickets are easy revenue.

And there are also "Parking Traps" where the signs are mostly missing, utterly confusing, or faded to illegible, but the police or traffic officers will still gladly write parking tickets - Los Angeles City has been caught at this multiple times by local TV reporter stings.

Private parking lots get in on this, too - they post "Parking for Customers Only - Tow Away" signs and then watch their lot like hawks - they can get up to $50 kickback from the tow company for every car they report that gets towed, which the tow operator can afford because they ransom the car back to the owner for $200 to $300, plus $25 a day for storage.

Bottom line - Parker Emptor. ;)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--