PDA

View Full Version : What's Disney doing to improve attendance?

coronamouseman
11-04-2001, 08:07 AM
Am I missing something in the local newspapers or on tv - does it appear to others out there that Disney is doing absolutely nothing to promote the DLR?

1. No traditional SoCal discounts announced at this time - is Disney hoping fear of long-distance travel will bring in local residents without offering discounts?
2. No special hotel offers for overnight stays (at least in announcements or local papers - could be that focus is in places like SF or PHX or even Colorado but nothing
3. No offers other than weekday food and merchandise discounts to AP's - as someone in another thread mentioned some time ago, there are a lot of 2-park APs which will expire in December or January purchased a year ago prior to the opening of DCA - APs in Florida were given extra days as incentive a while back ....
4. Disney does not even seem to be advertising the new HMH locally - don't they usually blitz the media when new attractions like this are launched?

Eisner last week in a meeting on tourism in California seemed to be crying that the State gov't should be spending money to bring in tourists - is Disney's strategy going to be to wait while the State does their marketing for them? With the impending threat of park closures once or twice a week, it would be greatly surprising if the city of Anaheim, which basically bent over backwards and sideways to make it easy for Disney to rebuild the entire area around DLR, does not start to pressure Eisner and his guys to keep things open every day to support the local businesses which endured through the massive reconstruction of the area and now would face certain doom if they lose 1-2 day's worth of business a week. To say nothing of the wages (and taxes) lost by Disney CM's if 1-2 day's worth of work each week are lost ......

Not a pretty site .........

Napsto
11-04-2001, 09:32 AM
at least they go all out for the holidays.

stinkerbell
11-04-2001, 10:24 AM
I know lots of families in my area are planning or trying to plan vacations to DLR, and find that most DL area hotels have been booked or have one last room. So our perception up here is that it's busy. Also, two airlines are doing great deals on vacation packages that are advertised on TV and radio every two seconds. It's interesting to me that they're not promoting like crazy in So Cal. I know I got happily suckered into two trips within two months.......

zapppop
11-04-2001, 04:39 PM
A discount wouldn't hurt.

Darkbeer
11-04-2001, 05:28 PM
I am totally surprised by the lack of advertising, my guess they are waiting for LuminAria (and the chance to film some scenes from it for the commercial).... You have HMH, the Holiday version of Believe with snow, IASWH, and the traditional Christmas tree and other holiday decorations at DL. LuminAria and the Blast show (Supposely starts in three weeks, someone saw the "Blast" trailer in the Hyperion theater Loading Bay) at DCA....

They did a press release stating that a 2-day ticket is available for SoCal folks, the ticket is NOT a park hopper, one day at DL, one day at DCA, or two days at either park), the tickets are good from 11/4/01 thru 12/16/01, and the second day must be used by 12/16/01. $49 for adults, $39 for children 3 thru 9, usual SoCAl ID and zip codes apply.

Really surprised at the lack of advertising.... last time, they had Albertson's and Coke pick up the costs of the ads.... this time, guess Disney doesn't want to spend the money just yet...

As for Michael Eisner wanting California to use tax dollars to pay for advertising, he wants to focus the ads on states west of the rockies, plus Japan.... Yeah, they just opened a second new park that has Awesome reviews at the TDR, plus even Universal opened in park in Japan... Don't bother to go to TDS (too busy, too many people want to come check out that new park, come to California instead, you can go to DCA, plenty of room, very restrictive smoking rules though (Most Japanese still smoke), and heck, the only real cocktail you can get in DCA is a Spiked Slurpee....

As for the AP's, mine expires in a month, waiting to see what they offer/ask for renewal.... and a LOT of passes are up to renewal due to the DCA upgrade, and the credit given for the remaining part of the old pass, I presume over half of the passes are up for renewal in the next couple of months....

slaakker
11-04-2001, 05:41 PM
I was making reservations for the last weekend in November (not Thanksgiving weekend) and most all the hotel rooms have been booked. Same for the weekend after. It may be a busy end of November early December.

bluepearl
11-04-2001, 08:30 PM
Just a short comment about the Christmas decorations at DLR...my friend and I went to DCA last night (which turned out to be a really disappointing hour due to several factors), and while there were a few decorations for Christmas, it didn't give me the same feeling as seeing them at Disneyland. When I entered Disneyland, I really felt like Christmas was coming. And the Christmas tree at DCA is hidden all the way in the Hollywood backlot - I didn't even think there was a tree there until we went to that area. Are there any plans to add more?