PDA

View Full Version : "Disney’s California Adventure, the Bladder-Friendliest Place on Earth." - OC Weekly

Darkbeer
06-11-2004, 06:40 AM
While this is part of a news story, it really is one of those "more in fun" articles....

http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/04/40/news-brennan.php

A photographer identified as "Merlin Jones" (a nod to Walt Disney-era absent-minded professor films) was in the park late Memorial Day afternoon to check out Twilight Zone, Tower of Terror, the new ride Eisner said would improve attendance at California Adventure. Strictly speaking, "new" may not be the correct word, since the same ride opened in Florida’s Disneyworld 10 years ago. That’s what things have come to: in a desperate attempt to shore up its sinking fortunes, the park that was built as an imitation of California’s many attractions is now trying to imitate Orlando.

Perhaps Eisner could earn a less anemic vote of confidence if he turns California Adventure around. And since looking to Florida hasn’t worked, maybe it’s time to look at the upside to the downside: Dismal attendance figures? That just means that California Adventure is the only Disney theme park in the world without long bathroom lines. The new advertising slogan practically writes itself: "Disney’s California Adventure, the Bladder-Friendliest Place on Earth."

Darkbeer
06-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Ok, this was a comment from another user on another board...

>>I agree the bathrooms are great at DCA. Be sure to visit often. Why keep the crap when DCA needs it?<<

:fez:

disNeytEen
06-11-2004, 10:52 AM
See DCA is good for something- :D

TP2000
06-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks to the magic of Darkbeer I assumed this would show up on another board as well. So, if you all don't mind, I will just cut and paste what I just wrote on another board...

While I am not a big fan of DCA, or the 1990's executives that created it via PowerPoint, there is very little a publication like OC Weekly could print that I would respect or believe.

OC Weekly is just like every other "Altnernative Press" free weekly newspaper in every large city in the country. The OC Weekly staff is comprised of a bunch of self-absorbed journalism majors who couldn't get jobs at a real newspaper sitting around trying their darndest to sound cool to their friends. And in between the endless tavern or garage band reviews and ads for Botox and singles services, they try to cram in as many digs at whatever is perceived as the "Uptight Local Establishment". In Seattle it would be Microsoft or Boeing. In San Diego it would be aerospace and biotech. And in Orange County it's Disney.

When I need to find a Botox parlor that's running a summer special, a singles hotline that gurantees results, or a dive bar in Fullerton that's got a new band, I'll consult the OC Weekly. But when it comes to legit news and commentary on the local community and it's industry, I stay far away from the OC Weekly and it's hilariously inept staff of writers and editors.

Klutch
06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey, that's a good point. We have a paper in Colorado Springs called "The Independent" which fits your description exactly. The Independent also takes the most liberal, left-wing stance possible on every political issue. It also criticizes anything corporate, mainstream, or part of a business franchise.

So why do I even bother to read The Independent? Like the old saying goes, "To know the enemy, you must drink from his cup".

blondiemouse
06-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Oh look out Darkbeers being negative about DCA again.Still give the guy credit he repeats himself over and over again but words it differently

SCUBAbe
06-12-2004, 08:58 AM
well, I do appreciate the newer bathrooms at DCA..along with everyhting else about the park...We are just a family of DCA LOVERS!! My parents are even spending more time over there now. my Mother LOVES TOT...she rode it for the first time on out last visit. She also loves soarin...:)..