PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hoppers on Ebay

Pages : [1] 2

Pablo2079
06-10-2004, 11:53 AM
undefinedundefinedundefinedWhat's everyone's feeling on buying hoppers on Ebay?

I recently purchased 4 hoppers, but the "first use by" clause got me. The ad only had the ultimate expiration date, but did not mention that the first use had to be 2 weeks prior. The seller is working with me, but I still may be out a chunk of money. :crying:

Pat-n-Eil
06-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Personally, I think it is against the rules and against the spirit of the parkhopper. Somewhere on there I'm sure that multi-day parkhopper says non-transferrable. Not too long ago, you had to sign your parkhopper and you had to show proof if I.D. when you entered. Funny how after 911 they don't do that anymore, but they check for other things.

Anyhow, that is just my opinion - but I think if they catch you, you're probably screwed.

Now, I'm not saying that some things that are against the rules shouldn't be overlooked (returning late for a FastPass or a secret private wedding in Disneyland somewhere) but when you buy someone else's multi-day parkhopper off of ebay, Disneyland is directly affected by not receiving your entry fee.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-10-2004, 01:19 PM
They still do the sign and id thing. We had 5 day park hoppers, which we converted to APs on our last day, in May, and we had to sign and show id.

Did you get them for the same price you would have had you bought them from Disneyland?

Pablo2079
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
No.... They were less expensive.... new and unsigned. I'm not sure where the seller got them from, but they had face value on them.... Go to EBAY and search. You'll see them for sale. They say "Non-Transferable" and "Not for Commericial Use or Resale"..... I believe that Disney would have received the money initially. How else would they have gotten them?

I actually heard a radio show on travel where they were talking about buying tickets on Ebay. They said that you could save money that way, but now it's becoming a hassle.

I got 4 adult 5 day hoppers for about $80 less (altogether) than face value.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I just looked at those on eBay. Those people are transfering them to you. The second one says that they are using the first 3 days and then leaving you with 2 days. That is the whole point of the hoppers, to not be able to let someone else use the end of the ticket if you don't use the whole 5 days. I hope they don't make them sign them.

Lani
06-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Pablo -- I wish you the best of luck in trying to resolve this. Personally, I would never use a partially used ticket that I buy from a stranger. Maybe only if it were a friend.

It's quite possible the person knew of the two-week use limit, and wanted to sell it anyway. That would warrant an "abuse" report to eBay officials.

Forbin
06-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't understand the first use stuff? Are you telling me the seller sold you passes you cannot use now?

MetalliKitty
06-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Ebay can be screwy.

I have looked at the DLR tickets available on eBay, in the interest of taking my best friend's kids for their birthdays. I don't know about that.

Slightly off topic - I sell on eBay and someone posted feedback for an item I sold, that they won bidding on, but have yet to pay for, or recieve.
It's not even packed yet (cause they haven't paid - I pack pretty much right before going to USPS) and I think the person thinks they already paid. Time will tell, guess I need to make my auction policies very clear, simple and in very large type, hmf!

Back to topic, I hope the situation gets all worked out for you. :| :)

mrs_toad
06-11-2004, 06:16 AM
My family had four 5-day park hoppers in May, two adults and two children. We did not have to sign them or show our ID, ever. It used to be, like Pat&Eil said, that one had to sign the hopper on the first day and show ID on the first entrance to either park each day. But not anymore. Mommyto2boys, did you just have to sign and show ID only when you converted your hoppers to APs?

We each had 1 day left on our hopper. So I supppose, with the current system, we could have given them to someone else to use the last day. I would never do such a thing, but I don't see how DLR would ever know the difference. Of course, they would still have to be used within the time period of use.

I hope you resolve your situation Pablo. Maybe they are hoppers that were purchased at the park. It has been discussed here that those, for some reason, have a longer period of use.

I have puchased a lot of items on eBay and dabbled in selling a bit. I believe the system works 95% of the time.

Pablo2079
06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Actually, these are not partially used. I wouldn't trust that and I agree that this would not be in the "spirit" of the hopper pass. I believe that since these had never been used and the original purchaser could no longer use them, that it's okay to sell them. I believe the legal issues would come to play if someone was selling them for more than their face value.

Looking back on it now, it wasn't the brightest thing in the world. I'm still working with the seller on this and will hopefully get it worked out. The problem stems from the fact that they were advertised with a 7/2 expiration. They did not disclose that the first visit had to occur by 6/19.

We'll see what happens..... regardless, my family and I will be in DLand on the 28th!

Diamondbacker
06-11-2004, 10:59 AM
My family and I had five day park hoppers that we used during our trip in early May and I noticed every new day we used our ticket that a little dot was punched out of it on the bottom- they did put a date stamp on the back of it on the first day it was used and it does state on the back that they expire 13 days after first visit - so if you are getting partial used ones off Ebay- better hope you use them within 13 days of there first use.I actually noticed i still had these tickets in my wallet plus I have 2 fastpasses to GRR for Tue May 11- maybe I could sell these on Ebay!! ;)

Pablo2079
06-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Just looked at the hoppers and there are no dots punched, no date stamp, and no signature, so it looks like they are unused. It all comes down to that "First Visit Must Occur by 6/19/04" clause.

If I don't get it figured out pretty quick, I might have to Ebay them!

Live and learn!

SoCalDisneyLover
06-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I realize that this is going to get a lot of flack from the holier than though people on these boards, but I do have a suggestion which could at least help you out somewhat.

If you're willing to forgo 1 of the 5 days, you could have somebody enter the park by 6/19, and therefore use the 1st Day on the pass. They could then send the passes back to you with 4 Days remaining, which would still be good for the remaining 13 days after 1st use. Obviously you would lose the first day, but you could still have use of the passes.

And yes....I do understand this is going to violate Disney's precious non-transferability rules, heaven forbid, but at this point, other than getting a refund, it might be the only logical way to use the passes during your trip, if you're unable to get to the park yourself by 6/19.

Pat-n-Eil
06-11-2004, 02:41 PM
... And yes....I do understand this is going to violate Disney's precious non-transferability rules, heaven forbid, ...

I guess it is okay to buy one ticket at the cineplex and then see as many movies as you can once you're past the ticket taker too?

Mommy2NicknMax
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
What kind of Park Hopper expires in mid June? I've never heard of that. Is that a CA special or something? The 5 Day Park Hoppers I've seen right now are for the same price as the 3 day and they expire in Jan 2005. Just curious. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Forbin
06-11-2004, 03:13 PM
That's peculiar. I just checked my discount DLR tickets at my company and they ALSO expire on 6/19.

I wonder what's so special about that date.

Lani
06-11-2004, 03:58 PM
I guess it is okay to buy one ticket at the cineplex and then see as many movies as you can once you're past the ticket taker too?Mmm, I don't think that's quite correct. Based on the bind that Pablo is in, as I understand it, the analogy would be more like:

1. I buy a booklet of movie passes. The booklet contains 5 coupons, each good for one admission to a movie at the local multiplex. Normally, tickets are $10 each, but the booklet only cost me $45 (so I saved $5 total, or $1 per movie).

2. The booklet expires by July 2, so I have not quite a month to see the movies. I'm tied up with final exams and won't have time just yet, but once school's out, I can go every few days.

3. A catch! In order for the coupons to be valid, I MUST use coupon #1 by June 19, or else the booklet becomes void.

4. My finals aren't over until June 21st. Drat! I don't have time to go to the movie theater by the 19th!

So what SoCalDisneyLover mentioned, is that maybe I can loan my booklet to my roommate, who's already done with finals. She can go to the theater and watch one movie using coupon #1. I'll be out one coupon, but at least the remaining four will all be valid. If I don't let her do that, none of my coupons will be usable.

Pablo and SoCalDisneyLover, does this sound about right?

Lani
06-11-2004, 04:02 PM
That's peculiar. I just checked my discount DLR tickets at my company and they ALSO expire on 6/19.

I wonder what's so special about that date.Assuming they work on a financial quarterly system, one quarter probably ends on June 30, and it probably takes them a little over a full week for the accountants to assess the impact of the promotion for that quarter.

Also, based on the summer blockout dates, the weekend of June 26 (actually, beginning June 4) is the start of the full blockout period for the cheapest APs. So it's probably considered "high season."

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-11-2004, 10:11 PM
To answer the question about us having to sign and show photo id. We had vouchers with our travel package that we had to exchange at a Disney ticket window for hoppers. When I did that the lady told me to have them signed by my next visit into the park and expect to be asked to show ID. That night DH and I signed them and we had our id out with them at the main entrance. The ticket taker took both and compared the sig on the hopper to the one on our ids. The next day we went to DCA and they did not ask for our id. But again on Friday they did at DL. I don't recall them asking on Sat and of course they asked when we got our APs. Hope this helps.

SoCalDisneyLover
06-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Excuse me for trying to help this person out of their bind. I guess the better thing to do is forget about it, lose their money, and nobody gets to use these passes. Just so long as Disney's rules are not broken...that's really the most important thing. Besides, Disney has their money, and they certainly need it more than some innocent parkgoer.

It seems to me that the reason behind this rule is that Disney wants to give you 13 days after first using the pass in which to finish all 5 days. They also want to make sure the pass can't be used after July 2. Probably due to the 4th of July holiday weekend. The only way both can be accomplished is for the 1st use to be by 6/19. So follow the rules, and let the passes go to waste.

And how anybody could think about sneaking into a 2nd movie after paying for only 1 is beyond me. I have never in my life done that. It's much more logical and honest to leave the theatre, pay another $10, and then go back in.

It's this whole righteous attitude which caused Napster to cease to exist. Not that it was 100% right to begin with, but gee wiz. Can't people even bend the rules anymore without causing an uproar? Right or wrong, I hardly think a handful of people saving a few bucks is going to cause an impact to Disney's bottom line. Just my opinion, but there are much more important things to worry about in life these days than whether a giant corporation like Disney is getting a couple less bucks on a park hopper. It's not like we're talking about a counterfeit ticket business or anything.

sleepyjeff
06-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Except for one small little thing. Every time someone breaks the rules to gain advantage someone else must pick up the bill. Who's that someone?...the people who follow the rules :mad:

Tigertail777
06-11-2004, 11:15 PM
hmm except for one small thing... Disney in the past has set the precedent that you could use tickets from a package and even trade them for other tickets... they were called A B C D and E tickets at the time. I dont know if they stated whether they were transferable on them or not, but it was certaintly common to trade them, so much so that it became like trading baseball cards (hmm maybe baseball cards have nontransferability fine print on them too? LOL). Disney never discouraged this use of the tickets, and in fact to a certain degree encouraged it.

I dont see much difference between the two ideas myself. Both ways Disney got their money from somebody to begin with, so it does no hurt them at all, and could in fact benefit them.

DorisZ
06-12-2004, 07:45 AM
I was just thinking about this too.

The whole reason that the multi-day passes are discounted is to get people in the parks to spend money.

So what would be better, throwing the ticket away or giving it to someone that will spend money in the park for those unused days? I guess the parks wouldn't make the same amount of money as someone buying their own pass and that is a valid point. On the other hand, since the person got in for free, they may spend more on food or merchandise.

I've heard that movies make more money at the concession stand than they do with the tickets. So as long as Lani's room mate buys popcorn, soda, and candy, no one gets hurt.

I don't remember showing ID at all last year, but I could be wrong. Maybe it depends on who is checking the tickets.

Less than 2 months to go for my next DLR trip and counting-WOOHOO.

I'm also starting to plan my WDW trip. It's not until next May, but I'm just as excited about that! We haven't been for 12 years and so much has changed.

jimerwf
06-12-2004, 08:24 AM
I have a 5 day park hopper in my hand and on the back it says (quote):

"Nontransferable, must be used by same person on all days. Hand stamp and ticket are required for readmission to same park on same day. Each guest assumes the inherent risk associated with the operation of all rides and attractions. Read and obey all safety signage and instruction. Disney may photograph, film, videotape, or record or otherwise reproduce the image and/or voice of any person who enters the DISNEYLAND Resort and use the same for any purpose without any payment to each person. Disney is not responsible for lost or stolen items.

5-DAY PARK HOPPER BONUS $129.00 AGES 10+

EXPIRES 13 DAYS AFTER FIRST VISIT
FIRST VISIT MUST OCCUR BY 01/03/2005
VALID 01/06/2004 THRU 01/16/2005"

This is a ticket from AAA and it also says there is free parking at Mickey and Friends parking structure and some really small print about $10 at ESPN Zone.

Also, I had a couple of 2 day hoppers awhile ago, and I sold them on Ebay, but only after being assured by Ebay that it was legal since they were unsigned, unused, and I was not going to sell them for more than face value. I don't know if they were implying that signed, used tickets are questionable or not, I didn't ask since mine were new.

By the way, my 10 year-old son and I are heading to Disneyland on June 28 (getting close!) for 4 days. Also, Knott's for 1 day, Universal Studios for 1 day, Aquarium of the Pacific for 1 day, and the beach for as many days as we feel (we live in Nevada so the beach is a nice break).

Dexter
06-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Well, as I was headed into DCA last night, the person in front of me was told toshow ID to the cast member because his ticket had been signed. So while I don't disagree with socaldisneylover's idea. "IF" he sends his ticket to someone he's taking a gamble that a CM is going to enforce the rules and make the person helping pablo out sign his ticket, there by negating the effort and screwing pablo out of his tickets.

I've been a passholder since 1999, but before I got my pass, my (now ex) wife and I went to Disneyland for our honeymoon. At the time there was only Disneyland, but we stayed at the DL hotel and rode the monorail into the park each morning. We had a 5 day ticket and the very first day that I came up to the turnstyle, the CM pulled out a pen and made me sign my ticket in front of him.

Additionally, my family came down to visit during Christmas one year, and I bought them military tickets at the base I was stationed at, it was a very good thing that I didn't just hand the tickets off to my family because the CM actually asked for at least 1 person in the party to have a military ID before he let them in. Which is why I won't buy my friends discounted tickets unless I"m going to be there with them, cause you never know which CM you're going to get and what kind of day they are having. They could be complacent or annal retentive, so it's generally better to follow the rules so that you know you're ok and not going to get screwed over.