PDA

View Full Version : DCA Food and Wine 2020

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
02-27-2020, 12:10 PM
I saw that Sip and Savor will be $56, $51 for AP holders. Car magnet included for AP holders.

Apparently being sold today (Thursday) and soft open today for booths. No guarantees of course.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Shortpix77
02-27-2020, 01:14 PM
I'm excited! There usually aren't enough things I want to eat to justify the Sip and Savor, but this time around they have a lot of things that are vegetarian/with Impossible products included. I can't make it until next week, but I'm getting the pass this time (and the magnet, haha)!

olegc
02-27-2020, 03:16 PM
I'm excited! There usually aren't enough things I want to eat to justify the Sip and Savor, but this time around they have a lot of things that are vegetarian/with Impossible products included. I can't make it until next week, but I'm getting the pass this time (and the magnet, haha)!Fewer booths but more items? Seems that way. BTW the pass does not work at DtD locations for their entries into the festival.

olegc
02-29-2020, 11:26 AM
Ok today is quite busy as any first weekend would be.
Four items in the books
Cluck a Moodle Doo - french onion beef tenderloin slider: good but mine was medium-RARE (emphasis intentional). The guierre cheese is more like a sauce. Strong onion flavor.

Garlic Kissed- carbonara garlic Mac and cheese with bacon: the usual very creamy Mac and cheese. Strong parmesan. Garlic not so much. Bacon crisp but not burnt. Solid choice but this is a pseudo repeat (cause the Mac and cheese seems the same)

One in a Melon: compressed watermelon with ricotta, tomato, lemon olive oil: this was good but it's not a very strong watermelon flavor. The ricotta and tomato flavors punch through leaving the watermelon to act more as a delivery vehicle (a juicy one at that)

Golden Dreams - Brunch Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwich with Mimosa Slaw and OJ Pearls: mine was disappointing. It may be because I got it within the first hour of opening and the waffle is soggy and floppy around. Don't pop the pearls in the sandwich or it will be a real mess. The chicken was OK but came off a little as Shake and Bake seasoning. I may have to get this again later in the day to see if it's better.

OK - I'm full. Time for a drink and head over next door (with more crowds :-) ).

indiejones
03-01-2020, 07:22 AM
Ok today is quite busy as any first weekend would be.
Four items in the books
Cluck a Moodle Doo - french onion beef tenderloin slider: good but mine was medium-RARE (emphasis intentional). The guierre cheese is more like a sauce. Strong onion flavor.

Garlic Kissed- carbonara garlic Mac and cheese with bacon: the usual very creamy Mac and cheese. Strong parmesan. Garlic not so much. Bacon crisp but not burnt. Solid choice but this is a pseudo repeat (cause the Mac and cheese seems the same)

One in a Melon: compressed watermelon with ricotta, tomato, lemon olive oil: this was good but it's not a very strong watermelon flavor. The ricotta and tomato flavors punch through leaving the watermelon to act more as a delivery vehicle (a juicy one at that)

Golden Dreams - Brunch Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwich with Mimosa Slaw and OJ Pearls: mine was disappointing. It may be because I got it within the first hour of opening and the waffle is soggy and floppy around. Don't pop the pearls in the sandwich or it will be a real mess. The chicken was OK but came off a little as Shake and Bake seasoning. I may have to get this again later in the day to see if it's better.

OK - I'm full. Time for a drink and head over next door (with more crowds :-) ).

We also tried the Chicken and Waffle dish and our waffle was soggy as well and that was around 4:30 in the afternoon.

Had the slider as well and it was meh. Bread was hard and did not enjoy the sauce on it.

The Impossible mac and cheese was terrible! The cheese sauce was way too floury tasting and the “meat” lacked the bite beef would have.

So many of the booths were out of items on Friday and Saturday. We went to the I Love Artichoke booth Friday night around 7 and they were out of the Fried Artichoke dish and then went back Saturday at 11:30am and didn’t have it then either. How do you not have an item an hour after you opened?

I think I’m going to skip buying these Sip and Savor passes from now on. I just don’t think the value for what you get is worth it. Was pretty disappointed with the Lunar New Year items as well. Hopefully the quality and consistency improves because as it stands, work needs to be done.

olegc
03-01-2020, 08:23 AM
I still find that Sip and Savor works for me. I live to try all sorts of food but if I can save money on the items I tend to always buy (the expensive ones) that's good. I can't get around the items that are not as good - especially when some reviewers out there live the items. I guess chalk it up to poor execution first weekend. They'll get it right as we go (though how do u not have soggy waffles if they are not made fresh).

Pammer
03-01-2020, 09:26 AM
I would have had to take it back for one cooked at least medium well! :)

tea4two
03-03-2020, 01:02 AM
Sip & Savor works for us, too, especially since we share almost everything. One thing to note: the MP article mentions saving on tax, but all our receipts from the booths don't show any added tax. The price on the menu sign is the price you pay, whether you use a tab or pay cash/credit.

olegc
03-03-2020, 05:25 AM
Sip & Savor works for us, too, especially since we share almost everything. One thing to note: the MP article mentions saving on tax, but all our receipts from the booths don't show any added tax. The price on the menu sign is the price you pay, whether you use a tab or pay cash/credit.Have u paid cash and not charged tax? They don't charge for tabs but I thought they charge tax if u pay cash/credit at booths.

Quisty
03-03-2020, 10:57 AM
We were there this weekend, and this doesn't have to do with the food, but with one of the vendors. We were able to meet and speak with Tim Burton from Burton's Maplewood Farm, and I highly suggest stopping by their booth in front of Ariel's Undersea Adventure's and trying his maple syrups! We took home a bottle of his Kentucky Bourbon and his Grade B, but I wanted the peach as well. So yummy!!

tea4two
03-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Have u paid cash and not charged tax? They don't charge for tabs but I thought they charge tax if u pay cash/credit at booths.

If you look at your receipts, there is no tax, regardless how you pay. People are posting photos of their receipts that show no tax was added to the price posted at the booths whether you pay with tabs or credit cards or cash.

cstephens
03-03-2020, 08:41 PM
We had a chance to visit the festival on Saturday. Wow, it was PACKED. Some of the booths we walked by had, no exaggeration, 20 or 30 people in line to pick up. We got our sip and savor pass and AP magnet (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234175842705645568), and I saw a cute design on the way (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234176404708741120), then we headed over to Paradise Garden Grill and had selections from there. We had the brisket slider (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234177697108168704), brisket fries (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234178677933404161) and the fish taco (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234180101241217027). The husband also had the black forest parfait (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1234180994066010112).

There's some really cute festival merchandise too.

Shortpix77
03-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Got to visit today! Booths were somewhat crowded, but nothing too crazy. I got the pass and used four of the eight tabs:
Cheese soup breadbowl: Soooo good, just as I remembered.
Pepperoni pizza egg rolls: These were delightful, which just a little spice kick.
Poke style watermelon: This was terrible and I couldn't eat more than a few bites. The items in the mix all seem fun and like a unique combo, but I hated the sauce or marinade and it ruined it for me.
Impossible slider: I liked this, but the ratio was off. The patty was just way too thick and I couldn't even eat it. Decided to cut it in half to make it shorter, and that fixed the whole thing. Then it was bite-sized again and was the right proportion of patty to toppings.

I also got the watermelon vodka lemonade from Paradise Garden Grill. There was a giant line, so I mobile ordered just the drink. Then I stood there and waited. And waited. And waited. And watched the entire line get through paying and getting food before the mobile order window person could be bothered to take the ALREADY PREPARED drink from the fridge and just add ice. I even inquired at one point and pretended my app was frozen to get her attention because it seemed like she was standing there doing nothing and I could see that the only prep needed for my order was ice... no dice. She stood and waited for two other food orders to come up from the back before taking care of a simple drink. I was so mad. The rest of our booth experiences were great, and CMs were super helpful if items were out (none of mine were, but a few that my friends wanted were temporarily out).

olegc
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM
so I have 2 coupons left and I want to use them before the park closes friday night. Are the booths open in the rain?

Gramiangel420
03-13-2020, 06:31 AM
This year's visit was the first time we would be there for the Food and Wine Festival. Now with the closure we will have to see if the park opens in time for our visit and if the Festival will continue. :confused:

Berry Princess
03-13-2020, 09:04 AM
so I have 2 coupons left and I want to use them before the park closes friday night. Are the booths open in the rain?

When we were there during rain in the past they were open. Yet it wasn't pouring down rain at the time so maybe that could cause them to shut things down. Hope you can get over there to use them. If not hopefully things will come back up next month for the last half of it to use or they will let those that bought the sip and savor passes to use at the next food fest if they don't reopen before it was to end. I wonder though that if it ends up they close longer than this month if they will start it back up or not when they do open and just change the end date.

olegc
03-13-2020, 11:06 AM
When we were there during rain in the past they were open. Yet it wasn't pouring down rain at the time so maybe that could cause them to shut things down. Hope you can get over there to use them. If not hopefully things will come back up next month for the last half of it to use or they will let those that bought the sip and savor passes to use at the next food fest if they don't reopen before it was to end. I wonder though that if it ends up they close longer than this month if they will start it back up or not when they do open and just change the end date.

i was able to hit it. Used last 2 and one more . So -for what I had
Peppers Cali-ente: Creamy Poblano Pepper Pasta. Winner here. great flavor, came out hot, and the creamy poblano is just enough heat for me to feel it while eating but goes away if you had something else.
LA Style: Smoked Bacon Barbecue Beef Loco Moco on Rice. This was OK. The meat was very dense and the scrambled egg was cold - but they went easy on the sauce which I think made all the flavors be there in bites. I would have preferred a runny egg.
Off The Cob: Mickey-shaped Caramel-Peanut-Milk Chocolate Macaron. I really enjoyed this but it only tasted like a Snickers in a couple of bites. Very good otherwise.

Things I've had last week and did not post:
I Heart Artichokes: Fried Artichokes with Lemon Aïoli . Very good but didnt blow me away. good flavor on the aioli and the breading stayed on the artichokes.
Avocado Time: Tortilla-crusted Fried Guacamole with Carne Asada. Winner here. so interesting to have Fried Guac (really avocado slices) mixed with very savory Carne Asada.

Im hoping the Parks will open again before the scheduled end so I can try 3 or 4 more items.

Berry Princess
03-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Glad you got to do so! There wasn't much that I wanted to try this year but was tossed the injury before I could even get there. So here is to hoping when they do reopen its back up as well.

tea4two
03-14-2020, 01:39 AM
... Im hoping the Parks will open again before the scheduled end so I can try 3 or 4 more items.
Same here! We hadn't even gotten to start using our tabs yet.

olegc
03-15-2020, 04:14 PM
Same here! We hadn't even gotten to start using our tabs yet.CDC just announced the recommendation of 8 week complete closures to large gatherings. I think now Anaheim parks won't open until mid May.

Shortpix77
03-15-2020, 07:01 PM
Shanghai closed January 25, Hong Kong closed January 26. Neither have reopened as of yet. I think the Anaheim parks will be closed through most of April, at least, based on that :-(

olegc
03-24-2020, 07:09 AM
I saw @gothicrosie post info that Disneyland filed a permit to extend Food and Wine until September 7th. So if we get out of this mess by June there will be time to enjoy more food. Of course its also a good thing because with all of the construction shut down - that means Avengers Campus, Haunted Mansion, and Mickey's RR will be delayed just as long.

Berry Princess
03-24-2020, 09:02 AM
Mouseplanet had the info about them filing a permit to extend it as well. Which is a good thing of course. So here is to hoping that people just start to listen and stop being selfish. Sooner we all do what is needed the sooner things will be back to whatever normal will come after.

AnotherJenny
03-24-2020, 11:07 AM
They filed a permit to keep the booths up. It says nothing about how or if they will use them. They have also halted construction at the parks, so for all we know they may be looking forward to possibly not being able to remove the empty booths before September. They could be planning some other use for the booths that is a different type of food offering or not food at all. There is really not enough information to draw a conclusion here.

tea4two
03-25-2020, 07:17 PM
I saw @gothicrosie post info that Disneyland filed a permit to extend Food and Wine until September 7th. So if we get out of this mess by June there will be time to enjoy more food. Of course its also a good thing because with all of the construction shut down - that means Avengers Campus, Haunted Mansion, and Mickey's RR will be delayed just as long.
Another board posted that HM comes off the refurb list on May 1st. So, if accurate, that would be nice.