PDA

View Full Version : Why do we close our eyes?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
I say we, I mean those that do. I closed my eyes on TOT! I saw in another thread that a poster's mother said she kept her eyes open the second time. I had to laugh because I do that too. I told my husband that I would ride it again with my eyes open, we never went back to ride it again, but I am hoping I will be able to keep them open next time. I just don't know why having our eyes closed makes us feel better. I does for me! LOL

SCUBAbe
06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I use to keep my eyes closed when I was a child through pre-teen age. It was because the rides scared me, but when I finally opened my eyes I realized that they are not scary at all with them open. Thats when I started having fun at theme parks...LOL

disNeytEen
06-08-2004, 09:19 PM
i used to close my eyes when i saw a wrestler on t.v. (when i was little) or a scary movie. Ohh and screamin' its just a blur

this thread could be a confesional thread.

Biscuit
06-09-2004, 02:51 PM
I seriously regret closing my eyes! Space Mountain was my fave ride, yet I can't remember anything about it.

I tried keeping my eyes open on Splash, especially for the photo, but no matter what, my eyes were always closed on the flume! Maybe it was an involuntary thing.

I'm determined the next time I go to DL, my eyes are staying open on everything! I feel I missed out on so much. I'll even do Screamin' with my eyes open if I must!

blusilva
06-10-2004, 01:27 AM
I remember reading something in a biology book many moons ago that when the body is experiencing fear, or is "under attack" that periphery vision narrows to the point of non-existance. Our eyes and pupils widen and focus directly upon whatever's right in front of us (and our mouth opens, like that little icon guy). The eye-closing could be a response to that over-stimulation.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so make of that what you will.

cstephens
06-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Maybe because we've all taken a lesson from the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Captain Josh
06-10-2004, 09:30 AM
...maybe that's why I've started keeping laboratory goggles on me.

SusanP.
06-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I close my eyes because I wear contact lenses. I often look like this:;) because my lenses are hard and my eyes are sensitive to every little thing. Kind of a pain, now that I think about it!

Opus1guy
06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
The only attraction I can't keep my eyes open all the time on, is California Screamin'.

Not because of anything I find scary, but for some reason the regular blasts of oncoming air that hits my eyes (especially at the "launch"), causes them to water tremendously! Tears are blowing across the sides of my face! I get off that ride and it looks like I've been crying or something.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Blusilva-but you did stay at a Holiday Inn last night right? :D