PDA

View Full Version : DCA vs. DL Monorail Set

rexfarms
11-03-2001, 03:01 PM
There is a Disneyland and a DCA Monorail toy set right? If so, what is the difference between them. I know the DCA one has the Golden Gate, is there other sets too? Are they of good quality. And is there a kind of Lionel Monorail train set anywhere in SoCal? Thanks

AVP
11-03-2001, 06:24 PM
The DCA version is blue, the WDW version is usually black, although the original version was red.

The DCA version has the DCA spiel, the WDW version has theirs. The DCA version has the added Golden Gate Bridge piece. Both sets have exactly the same number, size and shape of track pieces, and the same support pillars.

The WDW set has two available accessories - the Contemporary Hotel and Spaceship Earth.

Both sets use the same additional track kits, which contain either 4 straight or 4 curved track pieces, and 4 pillars.

There is a smaller DCA set, which has just three cars in the train, no Golden Gate Bridge, shorter pillars, and fewer track pieces.

There is an adaptor set for the DCA version which allows it to connect to the 4 Paradise Pier attraction toys. When the train runs over the special pillars, one of the attraction toys is activated.

Of course, everything is sold separately.

AVP

Morrigoon
11-03-2001, 07:55 PM
So THAT'S what the point is behind the connections. I always wondered what the point of connecting all the toys was when they were independently powered. Hmm... interesting.

rexfarms
11-04-2001, 09:06 AM
Thanks, and what are the prices for these little toys?

Napsto
11-04-2001, 09:32 AM
i put the monorail around the christmas tree.

DisneylandKid
11-04-2001, 11:31 AM
I want one.

But I don't want to buy one. (I'd feel strange spending $60 on a toy when I could buy 1.5 Disneyland passports [not like I need them...])

I think they are around $60.

MonorailMan
11-04-2001, 11:45 AM
Well When I Go On Dec. 16(My B-day) I'm Picking One Up, Can't wait to put it under the X-Mas Tree!

MonorailMan
11-04-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by AVP

<SNIP>

There is a smaller DCA set, which has just three cars in the train, no Golden Gate Bridge, shorter pillars, and fewer track pieces.

There is an adaptor set for the DCA version which allows it to connect to the 4 Paradise Pier attraction toys. When the train runs over the special pillars, one of the attraction toys is activated.

Of course, everything is sold separately.

AVP

I hate to correct you but the "Mini-Monorail" Set Has Only 2 Cars, And The Special Pylons Come With The "Mini-Monorail" Set

AVP
11-04-2001, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

I hate to correct you but the "Mini-Monorail" Set Has Only 2 Cars, And The Special Pylons Come With The "Mini-Monorail" Set

OK, I'll correct your correction! :D

There are just two cars in the DCA set - my bad. BUT, there is only one special pylon in that set - you have to buy another box which has the other three pylons if you want to hook up all four toys together. And I'm really annoyed that the special pylons were not made to work with the larger Monorail. Yeah, I *made* mine work, but they should have thought of that.

AVP

Andrew
11-04-2001, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by AVP
And I'm really annoyed that the special pylons were not made to work with the larger Monorail. Yeah, I *made* mine work, but they should have thought of that.

AVP

I'd like to see pics of how you made this work. Do you have any or can you take some?

SimpTwister
11-05-2001, 01:33 AM
Kinda funny that DCA sells Monorail Sets, considering the Monorail doesn't even stop there...;)

MonorailMan
11-05-2001, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by SimpTwister
Kinda funny that DCA sells Monorail Sets, considering the Monorail doesn't even stop there...;)

That's sooo true, in almost every picture of the entrance of DCA they show the monorail going over the Golden Gate. I've also seen many people on the monorail say "Doesn't this stop at DCA?".

Ace
11-05-2001, 06:58 PM
I can't say I like the monorail, monorail man...I go to Disneyland to get away from everything...The monorail takes you back into the real world. But I do want one of those set things.

jslivinski
11-06-2001, 01:55 PM
*****There is an adaptor set for the DCA version which allows it to connect to the 4 Paradise Pier attraction toys. When the train runs over the special pillars, one of the attraction toys is activated.*****

Our set has clips that attach to the pillars, but it isn't a "special pillar", it can be any of the pillars.

*****Thanks, and what are the prices for these little toys?*****

The accessories are $22.00 each. The adaptor set is $10.00. Not sure about the monorail, I think the smaller version is $30.00 and the bigger one is $60.00.

Note: The monorail cars are the same size on both.

innerSpaceman
11-06-2001, 03:43 PM
I am very disappointed to learn from this thread that the pillars are shorter on the DCA mini-monorail set. I won it as a prize at MouseAdventure and haven't taken it out of the box yet, but I was looking forward to expanding my monorail set with it. Now I know the tragic truth - the pillars won't fit! Oh, well I can still set the mini-monorail and the regular monorail on a collision course.

On a side note to Squinky and Monorail man, I used to like the monorail when I could ride in the bubble top, but not so much since they switched to the 'plain-wrap' design.