PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Ralph Brennan's lately?

CarlieB
06-08-2004, 04:37 PM
We had an amzing meal at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen a couple of years ago - it really was a good night. However, from what I read on various boards (including this one), things went downhill a bit after that, so we did not return last year. Just wondering if anyone has eaten there recently and can report back on it, or if anyone has heard anything recently about RB's?

nightdesigns
06-09-2004, 08:44 AM
I found it to be really expensive for not enough food, and very lousy service (including being given the wrong meal twice in a row).

Try the cheesecake factory if you want a lot more and better food for less!

We had an amzing meal at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen a couple of years ago - it really was a good night. However, from what I read on various boards (including this one), things went downhill a bit after that, so we did not return last year. Just wondering if anyone has eaten there recently and can report back on it, or if anyone has heard anything recently about RB's?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
06-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Went in Feb and the food was really good, portions were smallish and my mint julep (with good whiskey) was SUPER overpriced. Other than that, the service was really good and my husband thought his meal was the best he had had in DTD. I was really surprised to read how negative the reviews are.

kdrickard
06-09-2004, 09:03 PM
We dined there the end of May 2004. Overall a very good experience for us both food and service wise, but we indulged a bit and had a great DTD window view.

Kevin

cryan71
06-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I would just go to the quick service section. As someone who has lived in New Orleans, over priced cajun food can be really disappointing.

RStar
06-10-2004, 08:19 AM
I agree, go to the quick service door to the left. The food there is good (I love the gumbo YaYa!) and you don't have to worry about service. If you want to sit down it could be hard to get one of the few tables they offer. And don't forget to try those doughnut dumpling things (I can never spell it- they are pronounced "ben-yay"). They are great!

stan4d_steph
06-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Yes, the beignets are made fresh and very tasty. I usually share a bag of those. I enjoy dunking the beignets in my café au lait.

cstephens
06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
I tried the quick service section once - and never again. My husband and I each had a few bites of our jambalaya and threw the rest away. We each ended up having a hot dog for dinner that night.

Given the experience we had in the dining room, I really can't see going back to the Jazz Kitchen at all.

RStar
06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Yes, the beignets

Thanks Steph!

laldava
06-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I went about a year ago for their Jazz brunch and had a great creole shrimp omlette. Though, when I was there back in December I was pretty underwhelmed by the food and the service.

I'll go back there again for brunch, but I'll pass on lunch or dinner.

Dlandmom
06-11-2004, 11:27 AM
I like the bread pudding at the quick service place. I have yet to try the sit down side.

Opus1guy
06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
And don't forget to try those doughnut dumpling things (I can never spell it- they are pronounced "ben-yay").

Some creative genius came up with a great name for the fictional proprietor on the sign of the pasty shop portion of the Port Orleans Resort food court at Walt Disney World: Jacque Beignet

That's a 'play-on-words' of Jack Benny for those a bit slower on the uptake. ;)

stitcher
06-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, But I know where to get beignets at a fraction of what Ralph Brennens charges, and they're pretty good too!

Opus1guy
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah, But I know where to get beignets at a fraction of what Ralph Brennens charges, and they're pretty good too!

Somewhere in the Disneyland/Orange County area? Come on! Spill!

I go to (the real) New Orleans a couple of times a year and beignets at the Café Du Monde (http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html) are still cheap at somewhere around a buck and a half for 3.

Your place here have such prices? If so, I may have a new "I hate my heart" (as someone in The Lounge "Biscuits & Gravy" thread mentioned) breakfast stop! :)

With the soaring price of sugar these days, I can't imagine places like these and funnel cake shops holding their prices down for much longer. :(

stitcher
06-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Brea Mall in the food court

There's a "cajun style" place there that sells an order(4) of 'em for under $2 :D :D :D :D

On top of that, I've only been there once but I don't think they get orders very often so it's a good bet that they'll make them fresh when you place your order.

Opus1guy
06-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks! :) I've got out-of-town visitors with me starting in about an hour and because of where they are staying, we'll be taking the 57 into and outta Anaheim this weekend. We may swing by at some point and give 'em a try!