PDA

View Full Version : If you were in charge...

Pages : [1] 2

DefyingGravity
06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
If you were suddenly the head honcho of the Disney Co., what would your first move concerning the DLR be?

My first move would be to close DL for like a week to bring everything back to tip-top shape- EVERYTHING repainted, broken things fixed, streets repaved, etc. Bring it back to former glory.

The next week I'd do the same for DCA.

While I understand that this is unheard of, and people would complain about the closures, I would schedule it far enough in advance that people wouldn't have trips already scheduled, and make the closures so well-advertised that most everybody would know about it. Financially, it would probably be a bad idea at the time, but I feel it would be smart in the long run. I think before the parks can get new rides and stuff, they need to fix everything they already have.

Now it's your turn- what would you do?

06-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Great thread, DefyingGravity!

Yes, everything in spit-spot shape, as Mary Poppins would say. Then ... major redo of the Submarine Voyage which includes bringing back the live mermaids!

Niwel
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Hear Hear 3894 on the subs :)

Disneyland:
I'd rename King Arthur's Carousel -- introducing Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday Carousel.
I'd also reopen the castle (and make sure all windows, music, flooring and lights were in proper working order).
Fix the line around Matterhorn so 1) people weren't cutting; 2) people knew which side was shorter; 3) the people exiting didn't have to walk through the people still waiting.
Get a new movie in Star Tours.

DCA: Keep the Farmer's Market food stand open everyday.
Put a cast member at in the Beast Library to help "seat" guests. (Also add a monologe or solo song to Ursulla's Grotto for those of us who go alone to the parks).
Tear down the diner, SSL and Millionaire to make a Great Movie Ride.
Get a new Muppet 3-D film.
Put something in the San Francisco row -- a store? a small dark ride?

Park wide:
Make sure all Cast Members used the "two-fingered point" or their whole hand to gesture (one finger is considered insulting in many cultures). And that the expression "I don't know" is always followed by "But I can find out for you."

scobun
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
I'd limit park attendance to my closest friends and family. :)

ppmuse
06-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I'd personally do a couple of things:

1) I would make sure that at least 50% of the parks income would go directly into the parks pocket. For example, the money Disneyland Resort makes goes into Disneylands account. Same with the WDW Resort. This will give the park the ability to spend more money fixing the place up, making new rides, and make life more agreeable for everyone.

2) With the new income coming in, I would raise the hourly salary of everybody in the park and give them great benefits. I heard once that Walt did this, and made all the employees feel like a family. If the employees are happy, then the guests are too.

3) It's easy to see that the park needs more time than just the nighttime to get painted and cleaned up. So I would think that one day a month, same day for every month, the park would be closed for necessary cleaning, painting, and possibly repaving.

4) After all that is done, then new attractions could start coming to light. I would hope that fifty percent would allow the parks to get a new ride every two years, possibly even an e-ticket ride.

That would be the beginning. Of course there's always those dreams of redoing the people mover track so Rocket Rods can return, redoing the Submarine ride, and putting a new ride where the boats use to be. But I feel these other changes need to happen first, bring the magic back to Disneyland, then make it shine.

Zigen
06-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I would sell it, reitre and never have to work again.... Thats what i would do ;)

Attractions 87
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
If you were suddenly the head honcho of the Disney Co., what would your first move concerning the DLR be?

First move? Shut down DCA and retheme it to "Disney's World Showcase". Each land would reflect a different part of the world right down to the food served. Rides would be based on what you would either find in that part of the world (Eurpoean carosels would have no music) or themed to reflect that part of the world.

Now for my second move...

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Bigamy: One wife too many. Monogamy: Same idea...

--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS --- http://www.dwad.net

--== Www.RateYourBoss.org --- Give performance appraisals of your boss!

Photographer
06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
The first thing I would do for the park itself is change the ride and film in Star Tours. Next, talk to the Imagineers and have them come up with new ideas for Tomorrowland. For all the CMs I'd give all the full-timers one paid day off (not at the same time). All part-timers would get a free dinner for 4 at ANY DLR sitdown restaurant. Tax, tip, alcohol, appetizers and dessert not included. :D

At DCA I'd put a new ride into where SL sits. I don't know what, that's what Imagineers are for. Same perks for the CMs.

It's a start.

Disney Vault
06-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I would not want a workd showcase. It is great in WDW but i would want something new and fresh. I am happier with DCA than westcot to be honest.

Pat-n-Eil
06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
The first thing I'd do is realize that much of what is already there is working or can be working with some good maintenance.

Let's add permanent fulltime Cast Members back into the restrooms!

I'd double the maintenance crew around the park and really bring things back to world class status.

A new updated version of the Incredible Shrinking Machine in Tomorrowland.

Some kind of water ride in the lagoon.. not necessarily subs.

Tear down the PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track and do something else up there.

I'd add more dinining choices and variety. Sit-down eateries too.

I'd find a way to get the Matterhorn to have more comfortable seating.

I'd put E-Tickets on a regular build schedule at DCA.

I'd remove Toon-Town and try something else back there - maybe a New York City based area (like New Orleans square but Big Apple style) or maybe another world-class city.

sambo
06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Obviously the long overdue facilities maintenance, but just as important - people maintenance. Get rid of all the loose thatch, rotting wood, and rust in the staff from lowliest peon all the way up to CEO. If an employee can't explain what the magic is, can't live it every day, and can't give the guests the best show possible - I'd politely show them the door and hand them an application to Six Flags. When all you have left are the employees who care about the magic, the park, and the guests are left - pay them well. Very well.

Only when the people in the organization are interested caring family members, will the problems ever reverse. You can change the rides around and paint until you are blue in the face, but it only takes one employee with an attitude to screw up someone's vacation - and tarnish the magic.

The problem all along has been "people"...

Darkbeer
06-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, If I was in charge, the first thing I would do is convert the upstairs of StarCade into a Bar... no drinks allowed outside the establishment, but food and adult beverages would be available inside the area.....

Next thing, add beer to the Golden Horseshoe, once again, not to be carried around the park, but allowed inside with your lunch, and watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

I would focus my attention at Disneyland first, with a main focus in Tomorrowland, you have Star Tours, HISTA, Innoventions, the PeopleMover/RocketRods and the Submarine Voyage all begging for attention. Plus I would go back to Bombardier Transportation and work out a deal for new monorails.

I would also look into working on Tom Sawyer Island's Fort Wilderness to be able to reopen it to the public.

For the hotels, I would add a shuttle bus system that left the Lion King Tram area, and would stop at the front door area of all three hotels... heck, these guests are paying a premium price, they should at least get what other hotels offer....

As for DCA, where to start......

Some rides need some serious plussing, such as the Soarin' queue, and GRR's themeing... other areas need a total overhaul (Such as Golden Dreams, Mulholland Madness, the factory tours, SSL, the Farm area, etc...)

What I would do is work on one area at a time, starting with Condor Flats....

Attractions 87
06-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I would not want a workd showcase. It is great in WDW but i would want something new and fresh. I am happier with DCA than westcot to be honest.

Having never been to WDW, I'm not familiar with what their version is. But I was under the impression that it is just resturants and such.

Pearls of Wisdom - "It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes." - Al Gore...uh, I mean Josef Stalin. Same difference.

--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS --- http://www.dwad.net

--== Www.RateYourBoss.org --- Give performance appraisals of your boss!

JiminyC
06-09-2004, 11:29 AM
if i were in charge i would try to buy as much of the land around disneyland and then completly bulldoze all of the those motels to give disneyland a lot more room to expand

Forbin
06-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Lol Defying Gravity

Close Disney for a week? Lol you would be outsed so fast out of your position that the chair wouldn't even be warm.

If I was the head of Disney I would agree with another poster.

Retire and collect about 100million in retirement funds.
I would NOT be able to handle running disney for a day...hehe

Pat-n-Eil
06-09-2004, 12:29 PM
if i were in charge i would try to buy as much of the land around disneyland and then completly bulldoze all of the those motels to give disneyland a lot more room to expand

Where do you think the Guests at the park are staying? Remove the lodging and your multi-day guests might just take a hike..

DrIndianaJones
06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
I would hire Roy, and then give him my job.:)

disNeytEen
06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
First off, i would have a night crew that went around the park from one hour after the park closes to right before it opens. They would paint EVERYTHING back to its original color, clean the streets, make sure the rides are running, and if one ride isn't proparly running, there are two options if it isn't a huge attraction for that month we close it down for one day and that one day we fix it. If it is a hughe attraction then we fix it that night, and some of the day to open later on in the day. In return the night crew can be the first in any ride they wish but only one ride.

Second-DCA is closed for two days. On those two days more then 80% of my imageniers will brainstorm for two days straight coming up with ideas, for rides, shows, and what to do with the lands. Also during those two days we have installed a new movie to its tough to be a bug and redone it so that the 4D asspect coresponds with the movie. SSL well be cleaned out and makeway for a ride that my imagieniers have devolped. The buildings in Hollywood Backlot un occupied will be eptied and replaced with either an attraction or a sit-down restraount (according to size). There will be a dark ride in the San Frasico Pacif Warf area, that will have to do with an earthquake. (once again imagieniers will take idea and develop). For Paradise pier all shops are closed, and re-opened with one being a saltwater taffy place, and the others well be related to a real boardwalk/pier. The whole area well be placed with boards. Fliks Fun Fair is closed down and over time well be placed with rides for the kiddies better then what is there.

This is for DCA but well not be placed in the two day time frame. The area with all the rides like golden zephyr and mullhoad maddnes well be closed and made into a new area of the park. It will have new dark rides that have to do with the area the imaginiers create.

For DL after DCA's two days all the imaginears well be focusing on Tommorowland for three days coming up with new rides and ideas, and not only rides but theming. Then Frontierland gets a new ride. Pooh well be gone and replaced with the possibility of Toad. Then Country Bear Jamboree returns in Frontierland. Over in Adventureland, Tiki Room well be made over with the overnight staff and back to original state. It WILL NOT become the one in WDW. The Lagoon for Tommorowland will be re-opened but themed differetaley. The monrails will all be running from one hour opened to one hour closed. The Castle will be reopened the following day that i am in office. The overnight staff well work on this one thing only. Then later a dark ride will open (under the castle) and at the top will be a restraunt. The castle will also be all white and well go ahead with the 50th plans for it as long as a 1/4 model is shown to me and i approve.

Then later as my park progresses i will change according to what happens. As for the CM's they will get perks, and new CM's will recieve at least two weeks training for etiquette and proper manners towards people.

My bottom line-We spare no expense!

Forbin
06-09-2004, 01:48 PM
First off, i would have a night crew that went around the park from one hour after the park closes to right before it opens. They would paint EVERYTHING back to its original color, clean the streets, make sure the rides are running, and if one ride isn't proparly running, there are two options if it isn't a huge attraction for that month we close it down for one day and that one day we fix it. If it is a hughe attraction then we fix it that night, and some of the day to open later on in the day. In return the night crew can be the first in any ride they wish but only one ride.

And what makes you think this doesn't happen every night?

disNeytEen
06-09-2004, 02:23 PM
i didn't say it did or it didn't im just saying i would if i were. it could still be happening know but if i was in charge it would be the same

JiminyC
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I would use the thunder ranch area and turn it into Discovery Bay and i would also put in a little mermaid ride where the old motorboat cruise used to be, and i would also try to connect critter country with toontown

sambo
06-09-2004, 11:09 PM
I would use the thunder ranch area and turn it into Discovery Bay and i would also put in a little mermaid ride where the old motorboat cruise used to be, and i would also try to connect critter country with toontown

Overhead walkway or long underground tunnel?

Princess Booker
06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I'd Redo Star Tours with different tours so you can have different experiences, get rid of the film and use DLP instead.

Innoventions would be gone, replaced with an updated carousel of progress.

Redevelop Submarine Lagoon with a new water ride, not sure what type.

Close Winnie the Pooh and put back the Country Bears.

Close down the Snow White show, rework it with something that doesn't completely bite.

Take the PC out of Pirates

Come up with safety precautions that OSHA would approve that would only kick in in time of need rather than seeing those green exit signs everywhere that ruin the theming.

Put Alien Encounter where Mission to Mars used to be since they've taken it out of WDW in favor of Stitch.

Improve the quality of food at the full service restaurants, and bring back the 20 layer chocolate cake with a different flavor filling or frosting between the layers.

Reduce the price and improve the taste of fast food at both parks.

Put a restaurant like King Stephen's at WDW in the castle.

Promo-Man
06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
If I was in charge of the vast Disney empire, the first think that I would do is get out into the parks both on and backstage to see what is all there myself. This would be done before everybody knew who I was. I would just be the lead of a group of auditors looking in on how the parks run.

Then as I believe it starts with the CM’s I would bring back some of the old fashion training.

For the Disney Resort the parks that I about most. I would bring back the Sub’s I can’t believe that they are in that bad of shape, so what if the show molds are gone repair the show items the old fashion way by hand then pull a mold off of the show items. I would reopen any ride that all we had to do is clean it up and get it open. That includes Super Star Limo. Now I know this is corny but I would put some of those little paddle boats out on the lake in DCA.

Then after these things were done I would take a look at the books to see what does come in I would designate 30% of each parks profit back to that park for improvements to that park for two years this should allow for any repairs that need to be made. I would take 6 months to come up with a 5 year plan for the parks.

As Disney core business is family entertainment I would take a good look at what that really is these days.

As for the studios, same thing walk around get the lowest employee’s view on what is up. 2D Animation you bet we do it. Maybe it is too late to bring back the animators but you know they can be sub-contracted to do work.
Basically I believe that you have to be up front with people and deal with people in an open and fair manner. But if you find that they are not playing on the same plane as you are, you cut them, knock them out, step on them like a bug. :D

Tigertail777
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said, some truly great ideas there.

I personally dont think the Adventure part of DCA works, so I would change it to "Disney's California Fantasy", with it being fantasy you have lot more leeway, you basically paint the ideal fantasy picture of california from past to present. This frees up the theme; for instance Paradise Pier no longer has to try to directly emulate any specific amusement park past of california, you could add more things from other parks like coney island as long as it still stayed themed to the core idea of california. With the fantasy concept, you can take california landmarks such as the redwoods, and winchester mystery house and make fantasy version attractions, like a "dream" of california. Lets face it, the word "adventure" reminds you of things you experience in reality, and coupled with the word "California" it makes you expect on some level a reality based adventure set in California. I think it would be a much broader theme if it was fantasy: you know that ideal California that people think and dream about from seeing things from the past. Fantasy actually already reflects what is in the park better than adventure, they added a fantasy element to paradise pier with the orange stinger for example (california based theme (the orange) but put together with in a more fantasy setting ...ever seen a ride exactly like that anywhere in california?). They just need to carry that fantasy idea a little further and stretch the boundries making it more like a dream of California.

Aside from all the other suggestions, I would find some way to push out the boundries of Disneyland: take many of the hotels and get rid of them, while at the same time buying land farther out to put up new hotels where the new boundry of the Disneyland resort would be. With this new land build one new park to start with, but some completely different, yet Disney theme... perhaps a villians park? Make this new park with as much exacting detail and care as Disney Sea was made, let the Imagineers just do what they do best, by giving them a budget carved in stone and letting them set to it. Once the park was done, have the first week of the park open to the public free (thats one hell of an advertising stunt, if its truly a marvel people who go will tell EVERYONE they know about it, you would not have to do much advertising at all). Save in reserve a few attractions that will not be open on those free days, because they will still be under construction; allow everyone in the park on the free day to see as much of what is going on with the construction as possible, and show all kinds of enticing models and concept art of these great new rides. Tell people the new rides will be opening in a month. I guarantee a lot of those same freebee people will be back with cash in hand to spend.

I know this suggestion isnt going to sit very well with a lot of folks, but honestly Disneyland needs to go back to something like the old schedule, where there was something like one day a week during summer it was closed so they could do maintenace all day, and 2 days a week in the winter. Summer, though I think you could get away with closing the park one day every other week allowing for more revenue, but still having the proper time to paint and fix things.

Both DCA, and Disneyland need more nicely themed restaurants simular to blue bayou, but with different themes. Once the subs were running again in some capacity, add a Nautilus themed restaurant somewhere by the lagoon, where you can see the subs cruise past underwater.

Disneyland needs SOME kind of tranportation to get from one end of the park to the other during parades, so some kind of newly updated skyway ride that once again goes through the matterhorn.

Monorails: build some new ones that still have the sleek mod 50's look, but are updated (especially inside), and build the track to go through DCA (DCF) and the third park, while leaving room to build more track around a possible 4th park.

Build a new hidden warehouse area for parade floats and cast members I hear the area they have now is mighty crowded. Also make a wonderful new employee cafeteria with top notch food choices at very reasonable prices. If you keep the employees happy they will keep the guests happy. In the same vein a couple times a year have a employee night (during one of the regularly scheduled maintenance nights) where employees can bring family and friends for free to the park. Fix the cast costume system so employees are held responsible for "lost" costumes, too many costumes have a way of walking away and never coming back right now. Also with the better tracking of the costumes, outlay a budget to have all new costumes made as well as have a continued budget several times a year for new costumes and fixing old ones. Make sure all costumes have every accessory with them: Pirates CM's would ALWAYS have striped socks for example.

Also build a part of the warehouse to house AA parts and motors etc. so they could be easily accessed, and there would always be a spare part waiting like they used to do in the old days. (for example tiki room used to always have a few spare birds of each performer that could be put in place in case something happened to the current one.. sort of like lightbulbs: when the one burns out you have another handy to put in right away.)

A few small things: put the waterwheel back on swiss family/tarzan treehouse it was a great way to draw crowds that direction, and reverse the order of the attraction as it is currently (putting it back to the original designed direction). Bring back a new and improved tahitian terrace with Lilo and stitch in parts of it for the kids (perhaps putting in interactive AA show elements such as huge tiki poles... sort of spreading a little bit of the tiki room over into the tahitian terrace as background ambience). Bring on the fire dancers and hula girls! Even Indy could get involved with the show LOL imagine Indy suddenly popping up on the stage among the hula girls, running from a group of 1930's dressed thugs "sorry folks were having ahem financial troubles at the temple of the forbidden eye dig... come on by and help us out" (exit Indy stage left) :D .

I could go on and on with ideas.... but gotta stop for now. LOL :fez: