PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself [Atkins-friendly restaurants?]

AnnaBanana
06-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi everyone! I just came across MousePlanet and this forum yesterday and so far have found a lot of information on my upcoming trip to Disneyland. I'm 22, and a 5th year senior in college (looking forward to getting out). I've been a huge fan of all things Disney for as long as I can remember.
I have never been to Disneyland (or California for that matter) before, and I am so excited! I've been to Walt Disney World about 5 times, so I'm very curious to see the differences and the similarities of the two. My parents are taking me on one last big ol' family vacation before I graduate from college next year. After that I'm on my own. ;) We'll be driving out starting on the 23rd of July, but making a few stops to see various places like the Grand Canyon and such. Dad made reservations for the 26th through the 30th at the Paradise Pier Hotel. We'll visit the 2 parks as well as Downtown Disney. I do have a question though, can anyone recommend some restaurants at the resort for a family on Atkins? I'm sure that any steak place would try to cater to how we're eating, but I can only eat beef so many days! A little variety would be so nice! Can anyone recommend a good seafood restaurant? Please don't limit it to seafood too...all recommendations would be fabulous. I'd also like to know where a good place to splurge a little would be. We'll be on vacation after all. :) Any help is greatly appreciated.
This looks like a fun, informative group and I'm so glad I found this forum!

DefyingGravity
06-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi! Welcome to MousePad! My name is Davey, and I'm 14. I have one restaurant for you. The Bengal Barbecue, in Adventureland, serves delicious skewers that would be good for someone on Atkins. (At least, I think so, I'm not super familiar with the Atkins diet.) Definately check it out. It's very close to Indiana Jones Adventure, which is my favorite ride. Have a wonderful time at the parks, and welcome!

Dlandmom
06-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Welcome, Anna! It sounds like you're going to have a super trip. As for Atkins, I can't help you on that one, but Bengal BBQ is a good recommendation. I know there's a thread on it somewhere in here...I'll have to do a search and find it for you this afternoon if no one beats me to it before then!

stan4d_steph
06-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Welcome Anna. I added the Atkins question to your thread title so people will know what you're looking for. Lani will probably have some advice for you. She's on Atkins and I know there are others who are as well.

Bengal Barbeque is a good recommendation. It's a counter-service restaurant in Adventureland. They have grilled meats and veggies (I really like the bacon-wrapped asparagus). There isn't a good selection of seating, so you might consider walking around the corner and sitting outside at the River Belle terrace patio.

EdD
06-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Bengal is perfect for Atkins (I was on it too for a while). They have skewers of beef, chicken, whitefish (wife loved these), bacon/asapragrus and vegetable. If you want to go all out carbless, have them leave off the sauce on the chix/beef as the sauces are sweetened, and that will add a few carbs.

Lani
06-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Welcome, Anna Banana!

I'm not strictly on Atkins anymore (I'm taking a bit of a break), but I still don't eat sweets (sugar), much fruit, or any processed starches. I had three fries the other day. That's about my limit. [I guess the main thing is that I'm still generally living a low-carb lifestyle; just not being careful in writing down all my food and following pre-maintenance to a T. Once I'm ready, I'll get down to OWL again and try to kick off some more weight.]

Bengal BBQ is a great idea in the park, but be aware it's basically a small counter/stand type eatery, and not a sit-down restaurant (although they do provide some seating nearby). In particular, their asparagus/bacon skewers are to die for. They aren't cheap, but they're so good I make them at home during asparagus season.

Off the top of my head, some ideas for food:

BREAKFAST

-- Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast is a buffet, so you should find plenty of egg and meat items to eat. Be careful with the motel you stay at; most offer continental breakfasts, but they don't including anything low-carb. A few of them provide boiled eggs, but that's about the limit.

-- River Belle Terrace -- you can eat their regular breakfast dishes but pass on the potatoes. Depending on what level you're at, you can have some of the fruit in the fruit salad (includes various melons, I think; I don't eat it often). You might be able to get them to give you more eggs, or substitute the potatoes with fruit on your platter.

SNACKS

-- You can buy little packages of Mickey Mouse-brand beef jerky in the park. These make great little snacks to keep in your purse (although you can consider bringing your own).

-- Smoked turkey legs. You can get these in a few outdoor vending carts. They aren't cheap (I think they're around $6 each) but they are humongous and easily filling for two as a snack.

-- Veggie boxes. You can get these in a couple of outdoor vending carts. Be aware, there are many with carrot sticks, which you can't eat on Atkins. They do sell them with broccoli, cauliflower, and celery, though, with ranch dip. Great way to get those required veggies in.

LUNCH

-- Cobb salad at Plaza Inn. I don't think there's anything in that salad you can't eat, except maybe shredded carrots. And the thing is humongous. You'll want to split it with someone else.

-- Fried chicken meal: Three pieces of fried chicken. You'll have to pick some of the crust off because they do use a bit of batter, but it's not like a corn dog or a crispy KFC chicken. Also, ask them to give you extra green beans instead of the mashed potatoes/gravy. If this is too much, you can order the children's version with one drumstick. Ask them to replace the apple sauce with the green beans. If a drumstick is too small, they will replace it with a thigh for you. It might be the same amount of meat, but psychologically I think it's a more filling piece. Be careful -- this place sells huge bowls of pasta, too, so if you're the type to get tempted, have someone go in with you who can provide support. If you MUST, eat the children's pasta meal. The amount of pasta you get in that is equivalent to a regular serving of pasta (the adult portion is equivalent to about 5 servings).

-- Various salads at Redd Rockets in Tomorrowland. Be careful! This place also sells loads of pasta, AND pizza AND bread sticks. :rolleyes:

-- Huge salads in Blue Bayou. I also ordered their Jambayalaya without rice. The way they prepare it, it's like a stew over rice (not all places do it this way). It's a huge dish. You might want to split a salad and jambayala with another person so you get variety. Stay AWAY from their desserts.

-- BBQ at Rancho Del Zocalo. Be warned, the BBQ sauce is sweet. But they don't actually cook the meat with the sauce, so you can ask them to just brush on a tiny bit for flavor. Not my favorite dish, but it'll do if you need. I think it comes with cole slaw, which should be generally OK (although they probably add a bit of sugar to it), but the baked beans and corn bread should be off-limits.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Welcome to Mousepad. I am a newbie sort of around here. But am loving it. I am a Disney and Disneyland freak. We just spent 6 days at the parks, about 2 weeks ago, became APers and are going back in early November. I am Lori, a 31 yo stay at home mom of 2 boys, Brooks will be 3 in September and Brady will be 1 on the 4th of July.
As for restraurants, I can't help you there. I am junk food queen when it comes to DL. My favorite place to eat is the Blue Ribbon Bakery! LOL
Enjoy your trip to the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!

Traci
06-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Welcome here! Hope you enjoy hanging around. :D

CarlieB
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Welcome! It sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time:)

I am not on Atkins, but I second Lani's suggestion of the vege boxes. These are great, and not outrageously expensive - I had one for a late dinner one night, after a day of indulging in junk food;) I got mine from the fruit and water cart in Adventureland, but there's also a good fruit/vege/snack stand near Splash Mountain too.

Splurge-wise, there are some nice restaurants in the hotels and Downtown Disney too.

CatHerder
06-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Welcome! Though I'm very much a newbie here too, I've lurked for quite a while. I've been doing Atkins for most of the last year, and as an AP holder I've had to deal with eating in the parks quite a bit. Most of the other suggestions here have been really good, but if you're willing to splurge there are two other options. Both the Napa Rose and the Vinyard Room have been willing to do a special 'off-the-menu' dinner for me when I've specifically explained the rules of the diet. I've asked to speak to the chef and they've gone /way/ out of their way to provide a 5 star meal that's carb friendly. Good Luck and have a great trip!

Lani
06-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Welcome! Though I'm very much a newbie here too, I've lurked for quite a while.Welcome to MousePad, CatHerder!! [even though you've been around a while]. Glad you're here!

I've never eaten at Napa Rose. Mostly because hubby doesn't eat beef, and we've found their menus lacking in lots of poultry or seafood choices. They usually do, but only one or two items. One of these days, we'll go there. We've heard really good things about it.

AVP
06-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Both the Napa Rose and the Vinyard Room have been willing to do a special 'off-the-menu' dinner for me when I've specifically explained the rules of the diet. I've asked to speak to the chef and they've gone /way/ out of their way to provide a 5 star meal that's carb friendly. Good Luck and have a great trip!I've found the same when dining at those restaurants with friends and family members who are either strict vegetarians / vegans or have severe food allergies.

IMHO, that's what makes these restaurants worth the expense - you will get exactly the meal you want, and "off the menu" isn't an issue.

AVP

AnnaBanana
06-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions so far everyone! Right now I'm in the induction phase of the diet...the most difficult part ( I think so anyway). I have amazingly stopped craving those high carb foods though! I'm very surprised by that as I love bread, pasta...basically all italian foods. So far, so good though...my favorite jeans are starting to look baggy on me! Its a week today so far...7 more days and I can go onto the next phase of the diet (but I still need to read that part of the book...).
I'm really looking forward to this trip!! Its always nice to get away, but to California and the ocean is fantastic! I've never written a trip report, but I may try one after this trip. :)

Lani
06-08-2004, 03:46 PM
A great report would be awesome! If you decide to write a detailed one, make sure to submit it in our Trip Report (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip.rpt/) page so it can be read by all our readers! :)

cstephens
06-08-2004, 04:33 PM
I've never eaten at Napa Rose. Mostly because hubby doesn't eat beef, and we've found their menus lacking in lots of poultry or seafood choices. They usually do, but only one or two items.

Really? Hmmm. One of the few things I don't like about Napa Rose has been that they seem to have quite a few fish dishes, and I rarely eat cooked fish, and then only at certain places. Maybe it depends on the specific menu.

Hakuna Makarla
06-08-2004, 05:39 PM
I to am watching my carbs, but not to the extent now of getting off them all together. I stoped losing and every time I ate something the weight would jump back on. Now I try to stay under at least 30 carbs a day, lose great and feel much better.I strictly stay away from all white starch stuff, no breads what so ever and no corn,pasta, rice etc. etc.
I miss a big old hunk of bread with my turkey, but I feel better and as of today lost almost 60 pounds in 93 days! I want to be able to eat healthy at disneyland, but also plan on the occasional goodie just so I can say I had the popcorn, and the carmel apples they have there.
I plan on getting the big turkey leg, and also the bbq ribs. also plan on eating at outback steak house, and finding a nice sea food place. Any sugestions of whats close to disneyland? sea food that is :) thanks **Karla