PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Care Package from DLR

Pages : [1] 2

Photographer
06-07-2004, 10:37 AM
My friend is currently serving in Iraq and her birthday is in September. I'm going to DL & DCA in early August, probably just once because I also have a wedding to attend and friends to visit. Anyhoo...I want to send her a birthday care package of stuff from DL, as if she spent the day there for her b-day. Also have to keep in mind that they can't be large items because she'll have to carry it all home with her later.

This is a list I've made of what I could pick up around the park. Some of it might not make sense to you because they have to do with our own jokes. Please add to my list if you have any ideas. Her favorite characters are Snow White & everyone from Toy Story.

Birthday sticker
New Orleans beads
Nurse Minnie sticker
Fireman Mickey sticker
Height restriction bracelet
confetti
tortillas
postcard
kids lunchbox (if thats how the kids meals come now)
Snow White birthday card
birthday hat (if possible)
Goofy's Kitchen party bag
hotel toiletries - going to ask Mousekeeping nicely
napkins
condiments
straws

Tinker Bell
06-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Height restriction bracelet

I think they got gave up on these.They are no more.

stan4d_steph
06-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't recommend sending tortillas to Iraq. By the time they get there, they may be moldy.

Dexter
06-07-2004, 11:26 AM
While I was over in Kuwait, MP sent me 11 boxes for Operation Dexter. Some of the boxes contained the Mickey pretzels they sell at the park. You might also consider sending her some of the goofy hard candy they sell as well. Don't send chocolate, it's 120 degrees in the shade :eek: and chocolate won't last.

If you have a digital camera or even if you don't you can still do this with a scanner....

Morigoon sent me a CD that had pictures and was set to music which was VERY cool and highly appreciated by me!!!

I digress, she took photos all through the park, inside the rides, outside the rides, everywhere, and then set them to music in PowerPoint. That was one of the cooler things I got while on deployment.

sjcivilady
06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Deck of cards?
Also, I heard they like to get toys to pass out to the kids there?

Dexter
06-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Deck of cards?
Also, I heard they like to get toys to pass out to the kids there?
Um, not to rain on your advice, however, he's sending a friend of his a birthday care package.

In response to your comment Chaplains typically ask for toys and things to hand out to the kids while they are on humanitarian missions.

sjcivilady
06-07-2004, 11:47 AM
sorry, senior moment - thanks for the correction.

Photographer
06-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Um, not to rain on your advice, however, he's sending a friend of his a birthday care package. :(

I'm a girl.

Photographer
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Dexter,

Did the pretzels arrived still edible? My friend's been yearning for the DL popcorn and if I thought it'd make it, maybe inside a tin, I'll send it to her.

dizkneephan60
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone,

For my first post on this board I would like to offer the following.

If you go to the front desk in one of the Disney Resort hotels they can give you a nice big button, I got my at the Grand Californian.

Good luck gathering :)

Tinker Bell
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM
I have been thinking on this one all day.You want to get something she can carry with her in her pocket all day to remember home.I thought a pressed penny,quarter,nickel.They are all over the park.All sort of different kinds.You use to be able to get a penny for free at the bank.They had a machine in there to put it in.I think we all should add a penny to the give list for those over there its small enough. they can carry it all day.

Dexter
06-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Dexter,

Did the pretzels arrived still edible? My friend's been yearning for the DL popcorn and if I thought it'd make it, maybe inside a tin, I'll send it to her.
Doh! My apologies on the gender mixup, and the pretzles made it just fine. As for the popcorn, I really wouldn't recommend sending it because I really don't think it'll get there in a tasty fashion. The only exception to that, would be if you could vaccum seal it, or MAYBE tupperware it, but other than that, you may be better off just buying one of the packages of popcorn at the store and sending it.

If ya got anything else, I'd be more than happy to help!

- Dexter

imperpay
06-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Her favorite characters are Snow White & everyone from Toy Story.

A number of Happy Birthday Princess
pins were just released, including a
Snow White (http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=30600) pin.

Would she like that?

-Imp
----------------
I wish I never had to leave this magical place.

Photographer
06-07-2004, 02:21 PM
A number of Happy Birthday Princess
pins were just released, including a
Snow White (http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=30600) pin Would she like that?

That's cool! She collects pins, I know she'd like that one. Thanks, I'll have to put that on the list.

I will pick-up some candy most definately, no chocolate. Probably try to get some characters to sign the postcard. The idea about putting photos on a DVD sounds GREAT. I think one of my friends knows how to do PowerPoint, it's just a matter of getting him to actually do it that could be the problem.
Ooh and I'm adding a pressed penny to the list as well.

Birthday sticker
New Orleans beads
Nurse Minnie sticker
Fireman Mickey sticker
Height restriction bracelet (?)
confetti
postcard
Snow White birthday card
birthday hat (if possible)
napkins
condiments
straws
pressed penny
mickey pretzel
candy
Snow White birthday pin
photo CD/DVD (? -depending on Dave)

Tinker Bell
06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok I found my list:
It says there is Toy Story pennys in Penny Arcade which is on Main Street.

There is A Snow White Quarter In the castle walk way.

There is a Snow White penny at the World of Disney which is in Downtown Disney. Hope this helps.

Photographer
06-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks Tinker Bell! :)

cstephens
06-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Photographer,

FYI, the Goofy's Kitchen party bag comes with a birthday hat.

For the Snow White musical, they sell a t-shirt, though I don't remember if they come in adult sizes as well as kids sizes. There used to be a kiosk right outside the Fantasyland Theatre, but they've moved the merchandise to the kiosk right outside the toy shop next to Small World. They released a pin for the show as well, but I don't remember if I've seen that lately. The Enchanted Cottage, the snack bar next to the Fantasyland Theatre, used to give out trading cards or something like that related to Snow White. You might ask if they still have those, though you might have to buy something. They also have a stenciled apple, but I don't know if that would be practical.

I definitely think autographs from her favorite characters is a great idea.

There's a Buzz Lightyear birthday bucket available. Depending on what you were wanting to spend, you could get that for her and just send her the stickers and pin and alien toy and save the bucket itself for her until she gets home. The cake, you'd have to eat or something, as I don't expect that to keep.

There are also other birthday items available at the cart outside Plaza Inn, some of which would be suitable to send if you were interested. I've got a birthday page (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlrbirthdays.html) posted which has general "birthday at the resort" information, so there might be something there you might find helpful.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll be very excited to get her package.

Dexter
06-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm kind of inclined to let you know, that the mickey pretzels I got, were in a bag, they sell them in several of the shops around the resort, but they are little snack sized pretzles. I honestly forgot about the big mickey soft pretzels, which is not what I meant at all. My apologies if that's what I lead you to believe. As for the photos, if you need help with that, I'd be more than happy to help you out if you need it.

adriennek
06-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I can confirm that they don't give/use height restriction bracelets, anymore.

Adrienne

Photographer
06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok so let's see if I got all this ... the bracelets are no more :( , packaged pretzels over soft pretzels ( I should have realized this. My brain must be on hiatus right now), Snow White collectibles next to Fantasyland Theatre and a hat comes in the Goofy party bag and ask for the birthday pin at a hotel.

Great! Thanks everybody. :cool: I think I'll pass on the birthday bucket just because I got her the Princess one last year. Dexter has volunteered to help wth the photo DVD/CD. THANK YOU!!! I'll be hitting you up for that come mid-August. :D

:) I'm open to any other ideas as I've got another 7 weeks till I head west.

katiesue
06-08-2004, 09:27 AM
What about a Guest of Honor badge with her name on it?

Also they have the Mr. Potato Head's at DCA with all the Disney special accessories? I have one on my desk.

Autopia Driver's License?

The pennies are a great idea as well as the photo cd.

EeyoreAdorer
06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
What about Finding Nemo "Go Fish" playing cards? My (18 yr old) daughter and I bought a box last Christmas and we've already worn the cards out!! It might be something that your friend would like to do in his/her down-time with the other soldiers. It's corny, but lots of fun. :D

Photographer
06-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Updated list:

Birthday sticker
New Orleans beads
Nurse Minnie sticker
Fireman Mickey sticker
confetti
postcard
Snow White birthday card
napkins
condiments
straws
pressed penny
pretzels
candy
Snow White birthday pin
photo CD/DVD
Autopia drivers license
backscratcher

I've got a special deck of playing cards waiting to be sent to her. Just need to go back to the Chippendales show and get a few more cards signed. I'm such a good friend. :angel: :D

EeyoreAdorer
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
oooh.....autographed Chippendales playing cards..sweet...you ARE a good friend ;)

JeffG
06-09-2004, 02:36 PM
As an additional suggestion, you might want to stop at City Hall during your visit and explain to the Guest Relations CMs what you are trying to put together. Obviously, you could do this when you stop by to pick up the birthday sticker. I wouldn't be surprised if they might be able to come up with a special item or two, under these circumstances.

-Jeff