PDA

View Full Version : Sunwheel?

Pages : [1] 2

Momtowolf
06-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Okay I'm not a big fan or ferris wheels.....is the Sunwheel scarey? LOL It kinda freaks me out how it slides and rocks.......

sleepyjeff
06-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Scary....Unnerving is a better description.

Shinku
06-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Not all of the gondolas slide/rock. You can opt to sit in one that is like a regular ferris wheel. The two lines are clearly (well, sort of, my memory is a little sloppy here) marked so it shouldn't be a problem if you're frightened. Just have a good time ;)

MeganPierce
06-06-2004, 09:14 PM
The moving cars would freak me out. We rode in a stationary car. Much nicer and a muuuch shorter line!

SCUBAbe
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
the moving cars are the only way to go. We love them. They are not really scary, but they do tend to freak us out a bit. However, thats what we love about them. :)

biolabetty
06-06-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm not a real fan of heights, but my 2 year old loved it. I would have preferred to have seat belts and a tighter fitting door (so I don't see daylight in the crack), but the view on top (before you slide down) is really great.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I am terrified of ferris wheels. I told my husband this the first time we wend to DCA but he would not listen and told me I would be fine. I was 5 months PG with our first son and I cussed him out and called him every name imaginable as that car was swinging back and forth! I will NEVER go on that ferris wheel, stationary/moving whatever, or ANY ferris wheel again!
My kids both liked it on our last trip, my husband took them!

disNeytEen
06-06-2004, 10:30 PM
I thought we were going to flip in ours, know that would have been cool and scary. My mom was so queasy after she got off, but it is still a fun ride

lazyboy97O
06-06-2004, 10:36 PM
I've never been to DCA but the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island has the same type of cars on it. My family enjoyed it a lot. My fear of heights returned and I had a panic attack.

myron61090
06-06-2004, 10:48 PM
the staionary ones go higher though, so that's a perk for the stable ones

i agree. i kept on thinking we'd flip and/or derail and fall into the water.

the first time i rode it, it was noon, and i was feeling really hot so i enjoyed the cool breeze in my face. but the second time i rode it:

NO!NO!HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

disNeytEen
06-06-2004, 10:49 PM
that would be fun to ride at night they could throw strobe affects, freaky :fez:

Momtowolf
06-07-2004, 06:15 AM
Okay so the general feeling is that it's FREAKY!!!! LOL Thanks for the advice!!!

Maus
06-07-2004, 07:04 AM
My advice is that if you suffer from motion or seasickness do not ride the swinging gondolas! I can ride the outside cars, but my daughter does freak out in those because of the height. Great view up there.

cstephens
06-07-2004, 09:46 AM
The red ones are the non-moving ones, and the line to get into those is around the back, behind the sunwheel. I've found that line to be shorter than the lines for the moving vehicles.

SeattleRedBear
06-07-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree with others. If you're easily prone to motion sickness or afraid of heights, you probably don't want to sit in the moving cars (and as others have pointed, the line is shorter for the stationary cars). On our first visit to DCA last fall, my husbear and I were seated opposite a small Japanese couple. Well, we're both 6'5" and at the time 300 and 265 pounds respectively while this couple couldn't have had a combined weight of more than 200 pounds. Because of the uneven weight distribution, we felt like the car was going to flip (even though physically impossible) and were holding on to anything we could do keep from falling into each other. Not a thrill I need to re-experience.

GeminiAngel
06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I never thought of myself as afraid of heights. But while in line for the stationary cars, I seriously chickend out!!! just looking straight up at that thing!!!!! WOW :eek:

adriennek
06-08-2004, 11:51 AM
my husbear and I were seated opposite a small Japanese couple. Well, we're both 6'5" and at the time 300 and 265 pounds respectively while this couple couldn't have had a combined weight of more than 200 pounds. Because of the uneven weight distribution, we felt like the car was going to flip (even though physically impossible) and were holding on to anything we could do keep from falling into each other. Not a thrill I need to re-experience.

Ok, I'd never heard "husbear" before- so I got a cute, chuckle out of that one, but then, as I thought about the rest of this statement, I had the visual in my head and you'll have to forgive me for laughing out loud.

But thanks for the giggle! :D

Adrienne

RagtimePrince
06-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I took 20 rides in a row on Top Gun up at Great America without feeling motion sick at all.

I took 20 seconds of swinging on the Sun Wheel to feel seriously bad. Next time, stationary car for me.

Disneyfreak
06-08-2004, 04:35 PM
What is the point in riding the sunwheel if your not going to go on the swinging cars. The ride is so smooth you dont feel anything on the non moving ones.

CarlieB
06-08-2004, 04:38 PM
What is the point in riding the sunwheel if your not going to go on the swinging cars.
The view, maybe?:D I have never been on the Sunwheel - I'm too terrified of heights to even consider it....

Disneyfreak
06-08-2004, 04:43 PM
You dont really get that good of a view with that wire screen. Its really fun when there are high winds and your in the swinging gondolas. :~D
For some reason there is this sound like sand is moving through the beams when there is high wind.

CarlieB
06-08-2004, 04:46 PM
You dont really get that good of a view with that wire screen. Its really fun when there are high winds and your in the swinging gondolas. :~D
For some reason there is this sound like sand is moving through the beams when there is high wind.
LOL:D Okay, you're freaking me out now, and I'm just sitting at my desk....:D

Disneyfreak
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
LOL it is fun. It is really freaky when the gusts start up lol. :~D

Disney Vault
06-08-2004, 05:17 PM
i thought it wasnt fun because they stopped it so much. do they still do it this way where everyone is loaded up instead of everyother so u get nore movement

rakkwhite
06-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes, it still stops to load and unload passengers every other set of 3 gondolas and then it rotates one full rotation. I rode both types of gondolas, one right after the other, and the ride operators goofed up on the rotation. My first ride didn't go all the way around without stopping, but the second ride did.