PDA

View Full Version : Practically Perfect Tea

cutelittleartist
06-05-2004, 07:40 PM
When was Practically Perfect Tea discontinued? Is there a replacement?

yobbie
06-06-2004, 07:23 AM
If I recall correctly, we took my daughter for her birthday in March of 2002...we went again in August of the same year, but by early fall, it was gone with no replacement. We were told there were legal complications with the "Mary Poppins" name and rights. It sure would be nice to have something along the lines of a tea time somewhere in the resort though...

AVP
06-06-2004, 08:17 AM
We were told there were legal complications with the "Mary Poppins" name and rights.You are correct about the timing - it was discontinued in September 2002.

You are also correct about the reason. From what several former foods and merchandise big wigs told me at the time, Disney owns the rights to the Mary Poppins character as portrayed in the Disney films, and derivative rights to the films, but they don't own creative or performance rights to the character.

So Mary can walk around the park and appear in parades, because that's considered to be derivative use of the film character, but they can't create a new work (stage show, tea, etc) around her.

Many moons ago I saw concept art for a Mary Poppins ice cream social, which had to be shelved because of the licensing issues. There was supposed to be a Princess tea to replace the PPT, but the people backing that idea keep leaving Disney. :mad:

AVP