PDA

View Full Version : Incident on Cartoon Spin

Cloud Buster
06-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Cartoon Spin was shut down and quite a few guests were evaced to the backstage area (then walked around under watch of security to re-enter toontown) after a young guest was "injured" on the ride. The emergency was downgraded after a CFA nurse had a look at the guest, as apparently they were not in nearly as bad shape as was first reported and the ambulance was called off. The guest was taken to CFA and there was no further incident. This happened at about 1:10 PM, but I do not know how long the ride was closed.

I was working this incident though I can't be sure if I saw the right guest or not (the one reported to be injured). A young boy was taken to the CFA van in a wheelchair, but did a lively jump out of the chair to get in the van. If he is the guest in question he was obviously not injured badly.

The reason I bring it up is that there seemed to be an unnecessary amount of panic regarding this, likely due to the young guest who was seriously injured on that ride some time ago. (I'm forced to wonder if the parents were "looking" for legal trouble.)

Darkbeer
06-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I have no problem with the park going the "extra step" if they feel someone got hurt...

Better too much action, than not enough......

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Someone was hurt on that ride a while ago? I didn't hear that.
I know that when we went last time, the lady that was exiting us from the ride, commended me for keeping my 10 month old sitting himself, rather than on my lap, the entire ride, as that is one of their requirements to board. He didn't really care to much, he just snuggled up beside me and we didn't spin.

Lani
06-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Someone was hurt on that ride a while ago? I didn't hear that.Probably one of the better-covered articles we ran here on MousePlanet is a piece written by Mouse Tales author/columnist David Koenig. You can read the article here: "Following Roger Rabbit without a Paper Trail (http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/roger.htm). It ran October 3, 2000, about a week and a half after a young boy fell underneath a ride unit on Roger Rabbit.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I wasn't a member of the board back then. I will go read it now.

Lani
06-07-2004, 09:36 AM
I wasn't a member of the board back then. I will go read it now.
Nobody was, Lori! MousePad didn't launch until April 2001. :)

poohray
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I just read the article the link "Following Roger Rabbit without a Paper Trail" posted by lani and there was an interesting line about rules, sop (standard operating procedures) and guidelines

A former Roger Rabbit operator agreed that “I don't think that (seating small children on the inside) was a written rule on the (training) checklist, but we were told to do it in our training.”

That's because it's not a rule but a guideline that apparently can be bent and twisted to management's convenience. Witness how the term has seeped into almost everything at Disneyland now. There are now “Costuming Guidelines” and “Grooming Guidelines.” Using the word guideline provides an excuse for changing the rules on the spot. If the Costume Department runs out of straw hats for Tom Sawyer Island cast members, the manager can tell the distraught worker at the costuming window that wearing a hat “is only a guideline.”

” The term 'guideline,'” says one worker, “replaced something that was very black and white with something that is far more subjective, both during an incident or when an incident or action is being reviewed afterwards.”

and it really freaked me out as this article was written in 2000
and in the movie the Priates of the Carribean; Curse of the Black Pearl 2003 there is a line in the movie that goes sorta like "What about the Pirates code? Well they aren't hard fast rules, more like a guideline"
It just made me feel funny in a bad way. :eek: