PDA

View Full Version : Tower cost

Pirate33
06-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Can anyone verify the cost of Tower Anaheim's cost? I was stunned to read in another thread that it cost $70 million, compared to $100 million for the Orlando version. Both figures seem astronomical; one would thing California's version would be much less expensive if similar technology was employed, and given the attraction's somewhat smaller scale.

At the risk of starting a repetitive thread, I just went on Anaheim TOT for the first time and thought it was a home run in every respect. The theming, attention to detail, and special effects were all superb and evidence what is lacking from many of DCA's attractions and some newer offerings like the Pooh ride. TOT's really a fun ride and an immersive experience.

I have never been to Orlando and so am untainted by comparing this TOT to the "original."

Opus1guy
06-05-2004, 05:53 PM
I'll let you in on something a little birdie once told me about published (or leaked) attraction costs these days. And that is that they are not always quite all they imply. Or at all accurate for that matter.

I can hear you all gasping in surprise at that. Not. ;)

And prices can change all the time. This birdie told me that sometimes they later try to minimize the cost if the attraction doesn't perform as expected. Sometimes they might inflate the cost if they think it will get good press and oohs and aahs. Sometimes they might throw stuff that's not really strictly ride related into the mix. A Real Estate valuation? Marketing? Internal billings?

I once stood next to an Imagineer at a grand opening of an attraction, and when the person speaking to the Press at the moment mentioned the price tag of the attraction, this Imagineer turned to me and said, "God, if only we really had that much, what an attraction this would be!"

;)

AVP
06-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Disney has refused to disclose the cost of the ride, but 72 million is the "wink wink, nudge nudge" number that was floating around at the grand opening press event.

AVP

TinkLover
06-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I read somewhere is was 95 million, but I am not exactly sure!

Cloud Buster
06-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I have been told it was $110 million, but the person who told me isn't someone who I can say for sure would know for certain. (It is the going rumor regarding the final "unpublished" in my department however.) I suppose $70 million might have been the original budget though. I'm much more inclined to believe that the larger number is what it actually cost.

Darkbeer
06-05-2004, 11:06 PM
The LA Times and Amusement Business use a $60 million number.... and that I strongly doubt it was more than $70 million.......

Disneyfreak
06-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Indy cost about 100 million and if you think that TOT cost the same as Indy you have something coming lol. We are lucky they even spent half as much as Indy was. The main problem I have with TOT is the ride length and effects. They totally need more ride time, not just 2 short min which is not even dropping time. I also think the special effects are really cheap and are not impressive at all. The ride does not have one animatronic. Come to think of it the whole park doesn’t even have one which is appalling! Also I think the story is not elaborated enough. If I would have never seen the tot movie I would be clueless of what's really going on. :mad:
Can you imagine if they spent the extra 30 million dollars on special effects and story telling?

Opus1guy
06-06-2004, 11:41 AM
The ToT drops are completely programmable and changeable.

If CA does like Florida did, after the initial crowds die down a bit [insert snicker here] they will start reprogramming with different types of drops and more "air time" for guests. Accompanied by "Spend More Time In The Zone" type ads.