PDA

View Full Version : What Theme's are left for theme parks?

innerSpaceman
11-01-2001, 05:40 PM
What has yet to be done in the realm of theme parks? If you were to plan the next Disney park, but it couldn't be based on any theme previously used by a Disney park, what would it be?
Now that they've used movie studio theme, world's fair theme, disneyland theme, zoological park theme, ports of call theme, disneyland theme, individual states of the union theme, and disneyland theme again - what's left that would make a viable theme park?

For the sake of discussion, we will stipulate that even an idea as lame as basing a theme park on a single state of the union (much less the state in which the park is located) is a viable theme. Of course, this stipulation is completely hypothetical - but we don't want to make this too difficult.

The only other rule is that your idea can't be an existing, well-publicized idea that was never actually built (in other words, no all-of-the-states-of-the-union theme [i.e., Disney's America]; no epcot theme [i.e., Westcot], etc.)

DisneylandKid
11-01-2001, 07:33 PM
Ancient Mythology Park.

AliKzam
11-01-2001, 07:33 PM
I don't know. There's plenty of things I'm sure we're not even considering. People have said before that there can be no more original genre's for films and stories and such, but other people continue to prove them wrong.
To go away from geography, film and history, one could go towards art. There are many different mediums of art; painting and sculpting being just a couple. Perhaps going on the other side of a painting, or kids attacking a room full of Play-dough. Or how about a park based on music? An attraction based on "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom" would be cute. Or how about both?
That's just a couple of ideas. Feel free to build upon or criticize.

coronamouseman
11-01-2001, 08:24 PM
Here's few to think about:

1. "Time-travel-land" - place where historical events can be experienced in a variety of ways (theaters, 3-D experiences, ride vehicles, etc.) Could even have ride or rides where experiences would be different each time

2. Jules Verne Land - need one say any more about this when there are already two new "Captain Nemo" rides at TDS?

3. "Astronaut-training-camp-land" - build an attraction with 1-2 hours duration where you experience some of the same training techniques used on astronauts (weightlessness, mock shuttle flight, etc.) Currently there exist "Space Camps" in various locations in the country but a Disney version could be made to be more spectacular and still educational

4. "Adventure-game-land" - there was talk about the old Discovery Island (name?) at WDW being converted into a "Myst" type of attraction - teams would compete to discover clues and find objects or people

5. Switzerland (add to World Showcase) - Disney totally missing the boat on this one as they could add Matterhorn ride (best if had two bobsled rides, one inverted and other similar to DL), maybe a gondola ride up and down the side of the mountain, swiss restaurants, etc. to spruce up World Showcase energy level

6. Discovery Bay - based loosely on Disney "Island at the Top of the World" B-move; great detail on this can be found at Laughingplace web site

Sombody else's turn now .............

Nigel2
11-01-2001, 11:08 PM
Bob Marley world:D Actually universal is planing (I think they announced it in like 99) to build this in his Carabbean, its probably a ball pit and a whole lot of pot.:D

AliKzam
11-03-2001, 01:33 PM
If they did a park based on music, they could have a ride based on Fantasia (so Disney characters could be in the park).
And to add to my Play-dough idea: how about a dark ride/roller coaster that looks like it's made out of the stuff? Not only would it be fun to look at, but it would smell great! I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for Disney to strike up a deal with the makers of Play-dough.

DisneylandKid
11-03-2001, 02:01 PM
I still like my Ancient Mythology idea. The icon of the park could be Mount Olympus with a ride revolving around Hercules. Or the icon could be a giant Egyptian pyramid with a spooky dark ride (maybe too similar to Indy)...there could be a cool ride about Pompeii (even though that isn't myth). They could do some fun things.

AliKzam
11-03-2001, 04:22 PM
There could be a ride similar to Skyway, only with wings on it made of feathers and wax, for the Iccarus myth.

Morrigoon
11-03-2001, 09:35 PM
No more one-theme parks! How about another park based on DL's concept of many themes? It could be like a sister park to DL, only with themes previously unused.

It could have a 1950's Main Street, complete with soda shop, music store, "drive-in" restaurant (cars as tables, like that place at MGM) complete w/skating waitresses, a sock hop (maybe a large upstairs to the shopping below, done up as the sock hop, an in-park oldies nightclub).

It could have a Villains Land, all dark and spooky, probably very Halloween-town looking, but also including icons and attractions from other Disney villains. Not to take away ride possibilities from the protagonists, these attractions would FOCUS in on the villains and the parts of the stories that they are involved in. This would be the place for that Fobidden Mountain attraction many of us have discussed in the past.

Since the transportation theme has effectively departed Tomorrowland, how about a transportation land? It could have attractions involving both old and new methods of transportation. Maybe it could have an Adventure Through Innerspace type of attraction about the development of the automobile. There could be an airplane-themed E-ticket ride, like maybe a WWII dogfight attraction where it's half ride, half video game and you get points for hitting the most targets during your ride. The peoplemover could return, etc.

TDS has it, but no park in America does: an Under-the-sea land. Not just themed to the little mermaid, it could also feature many other sea-based attractions. How about one based on the underwater scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks? This land would border/transition into...

Land of the South Seas: Let DL's adventureland continue its shifting focus to South America and the Middle East. They could build an island-themed land in the new park, perhaps ON an island, like a tropical TSI. They could build a new home for the birds of the Tiki Room (before the old one falls down around them!). They could build a new Tahitian Terrace restaurant, complete with waterfalls and hula dancers. There could be a big volcano attraction (Matterhorn with lava, hehehe). It would also allow for outrigger canoes and sailboats to take the place of the explorer canoes and keel boats. There would be a nice snack bar area with a sandy "beach" (not actually accessing water) for guests to sun themselves at and drink cool beverages (smoothies!). They could have a cool show at night with fire dancers, lit canoes, etc, with a spectacular finale involving the top of the volcano and fireworks ;) If you've ever been to the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu, you know how much can be done with a general South Seas theme in a park (and they don't even have RIDES! my neice and nephew were fully entertained and educated at that park)

Anyway, there would be room left in the design to add other lands, as necessary :)

9oldmen
11-03-2001, 09:44 PM
Nigel2, Universal has a themed restaurant called "Bob Marley's Tribute to Freedom", or something like that at Universal CityWalk in Orlando. It is supposedly modeled after his home in Jamaica.
Jamaica would make a good themed land.
I like the "Mythology" idea, but how about an "Ancient Greek" land? I can't say the theme hasn't been done because there is a Greek theater scene in "Spaceship Earth".
What about a "Baroque" area? Think "Amadeus" or "Dangerous Liassons". That could be a tough sell to a theme park audience.
A Tommorowland that is post-apocalyptic, or like "Blade Runner", or "Mad Max"?
I would like DCA to get a "Melrose Avenue" area. Everything that's cooky and wierd and eclectic about the real thing, but made appropriate for families.
A trip through a 1950's "Leave it to Beaver" type town, that has been taken over by space aliens. The aliens would be treated like the Pirates or the HM ghosts. They would be the menacing but comical element of the ride.
Sorry about the lack of cohesion, but I got on a roll.

DisneyFreak2000
11-03-2001, 10:21 PM
Well we all want a Disney park that has multiple themes, how about that animation park some of us have discussed. Not necessarily so silmilat ro Disneyland, but with the charm and detail. They could have: Animnation Courtyard (the entry and hub); Royal Courtyard (land featuring royal movies); Storybook VIllage (quaint land featuring fairytales that don't fit into other land categories like Alice and Pinncohio); Mermaid Lagoon (with Bedknobs and PEter as well as Mermaid); South Seas land (just like Morrigoon's idea); and Mysertious Forest (with Pocahnotas theme and giant tree like in ANimal Kingodom except with Legend of Lion King show inside).

Nigel2
11-04-2001, 12:05 AM
It was noted above about Popeii is a well was a real place, destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius(sp) and there is an attraction at Bush Gardens willamsburg themed after if, its a water flume ride where you ride through a temple being destroyed by the volcano and eventually out a door and down a drop into the water.

coronamouseman
11-04-2001, 09:19 AM
If you made the core theme of a park something about books and literature, then you could justify just about any type of themed lands or attractions based upon characters from books. This could include science fiction, mythology, history, adventure novels, biographies and/or geography - which, by the way, would just about include most every new attraction developed by Disney for TDS.

DisneylandKid
11-04-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
There could be a ride similar to Skyway, only with wings on it made of feathers and wax, for the Iccarus myth. Greart idea.