PDA

View Full Version : The commercial with a dog in Disneyland - where they aren't allowed...

Bruce Bergman
06-02-2004, 06:32 PM
It dawned on me a few days ago, when they showed the new Disneyland Resort television ad campaign. Theme song "We're Gonna Rock This Town"...

The one with the small dog (Jack Russell Terrier?) running through the SB Castle portico, riding Dumbo, meeting The Bell Captain and riding ToT, shaking hands (or paws) with Pluto and getting their picture taken, riding Pirates, and he barks at the jailer dog - then cut to a scene with the dog dreaming it all in his bed, legs twitching away. Voiceover: "Everyone Needs Their Dreams."

But there's a huge problem they overlooked: Dogs aren't allowed to run loose inside Disneyland or DCA. :eek: Matter of fact, unless s/he's a properly registered Service Dog for the blind or physically impaired, s/he can't go in either park at all.

This ranks right up there with last year's campaign with the children who had to be too short to ride Screamin' and several other rides, but were shown shown in the commercials riding them. The one with the young girl calling Rance Howard "Grandpa!", and she didn't even clear the hitching posts on Main Street. (Still need to go measure the posts. ;) )

Doesn't the Advertising department ever clear these things with Theme Park Operations? :rolleyes: Not even a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen. Now they're going to have to deal with dog lovers complaining that they want to take Sparky inside the Park with them, not lock him in the kennel all day...

Or they allow all dogs inside - which will thrill the Lawyers and CFA (Bites!) and the Sweepers no end. :( (You think Code V's all day are bad, it's almost guaranteed that a large percentage of people will not curb their pets...)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

cstephens
06-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Perhaps you missed this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28966)?

sediment
06-02-2004, 06:37 PM
"Stunt dog on closed rides. Do not try at home."

I think it's obvious that the dog is dreaming.
I think it's obvious that there exist people stupid enough to bring their dogs to DL with the expectation of letting them ride the rides.

Besides, the commercial isn't authentic enough:
1. No exit signs on HM.
2. Immediately after disembarking (hee-hee) the Tea Cups, he doesn't run to City Hall to complain about not being able to spin them.
3. Waiting forever for the one monorail to arrive.
4. Looking with wonder at the sub lagoon. "I wonder what's in there?"
5. That missing pirate was in the commercial.
6. Tomorrowland looked busy.

Tinker Bell
06-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Perhaps you missed this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28966)?

You beat me to it .I was bout to post the other thread. Its ok Bruce Bergman as you can see I missed a thread on it to.

Bruce Bergman
06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
And the old thread had a reference to yet an older thread... Like they say, Everything old is new again. :rolleyes:

That, and still nobody makes good thread titles.

cstephens
06-02-2004, 08:16 PM
And the old thread

Four days is old? :confused:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Should have said the last thread on this topic.

I think that a little to much is being criticized in this commercial. I mean instead of thinking about how unrealistic it is, think about how funny it is.

disNeytEen
06-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I thought it was cute
Humans aren't the only ones who dream

GoldenEars
06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
It's ONLY a dream!! Let me repeat, IT'S ONLY A DREAM!! I think the whole concept of this commercial is very clever and entertaining. The fact that dogs do dream and putting that into a Disney commercial is great!

And sure, there could be some idiot who would protest not being able to bring their pet(s) inside the Parks after seeing that commercial. But those would be the ones who don't really have a brain. Just imagine what the Parks would be like if they allowed guests to bring their pets inside! It would be an absolute mess...in more ways than one!

So, let's hope those who have seen this commercial will look at it as ONLY a dream and something really cute to watch for 30+ seconds.

Patrick

uvsc_wolverine
06-02-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the fact that even though dogs like the one in the commercial aren't allowed into the park, that there are TONS of cats! And they live there! <ramble>I was eating one day at the airplane hanger themed restaurant in DCA and saw several kittens, and one larger cat that was missing part of one ear and a lot of hair on his (her?) back where there was one heck of a scar.</ramble>

Morrigoon
06-03-2004, 03:00 AM
The point is, it's typical of recent Disney marketing: promising things that don't happen.

myron61090
06-03-2004, 03:34 AM
does anyone have an mpeg version?

stan4d_steph
06-03-2004, 05:51 AM
does anyone have an mpeg version? Yes. Anyone? Being as how I'm in NY, we don't get any Disneyland commercials. Ever.

Momtowolf
06-03-2004, 05:55 AM
The Disney commercials that you guys are talking about? I would love to see the one with the dog running around!!!

Thanks,

Steph

cstephens
06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
The point is, it's typical of recent Disney marketing: promising things that don't happen.

I think that anyone who sees this commercial and thinks that Disney is promising that a dog can have that exact same adventure is a bleeping idiot.

Khiori
06-03-2004, 09:46 AM
My Leo (rough coat collie mix) would LOVE to go to Disneyland and ride all the rides. :D

Bruce Bergman
06-03-2004, 08:05 PM

Not only that don't happen, things that can't, that are specifically prohibited.

I think that anyone who sees this commercial and thinks that Disney is promising that a dog can have that exact same adventure is a bleeping idiot.

Gee, then why do all the car commercials have that big disclaimer at the bottom of the screen "Closed Course - Professional Stunt Driver"? Why do the shows like 'Mr. Wizard' and 'Bill Nye the Science Guy' always put up the disclaimer "Kids, Don't try this at home"?

Simple - because there are a LOT of {bleeeping} idiots out there. :eek: Jeff Foxworthy has made a nice career out of pointing out the things they do. ;)

Hey, it's a great commercial, it's funny, people remember it. If I had a dog right now, I'd want to take it to the park. (We're fresh out of dogs at the moment - and the parrot likes it that way.) But... :rolleyes:

They know if they show something unbelievable or potentially dangerous, they better put a disclaimer. I ask you: How hard would it be for the DLR Marketing people to put up a "Pets not allowed inside Disneyland or DCA, except for registered service animals" disclaimer on a TV spot?

Lani
06-03-2004, 08:10 PM
The point is, it's typical of recent Disney marketing: promising things that don't happen.Ooooooo good one! :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Honestly I cannot imagine that this is going to be a problem. And as far as car commercials and Bill Nye, I believe that could be for safety reasons so that some idiot does go out and attempt to do the things in the commercial/show and then get hurt. I see a very tiny, almost non-existent chance that a dog dreaming he is at Disneyland could cause physical harm to anyone. AND if it does, then they are IDIOTS and need Bill Engval's stupid signs! (by the way I think I spelled his last name incorrectly)

The Mouse Is Back
06-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the fact that even though dogs like the one in the commercial aren't allowed into the park, that there are TONS of cats! And they live there! <ramble>I was eating one day at the airplane hanger themed restaurant in DCA and saw several kittens, and one larger cat that was missing part of one ear and a lot of hair on his (her?) back where there was one heck of a scar.</ramble>

Way back when, the good folks at DL "stocked" the Park with about 50 cats, I believe the number was. This was to control the rodent problem, which would be severe unless there were kitties. The kitty population has grown to about 400 or so. Many of the cats are the subsequent generations of the original cats. Many others have wandered in from the neighborhood. Still others have been snuck in and dumped (yes, there are stupid idiots who think dumping a cat at DL ensures its survival, etc.).

There was a rumor some time back that management didn't want the cats around and was having the cats tracked down and killed. This is not true. Were it not for the cat population at DL, the natural consequence of so much landscaping would be extremely well-fed rats everywhere.

-Allegra-

ToursbabeC3po
06-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Love the commercial!
Toursbabe

Twilight
06-04-2004, 07:44 AM
I love this commercial. I always have to shush anyone in the room when it comes on. (yes my roomates think I'm a little nuts!)

cstephens
06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
It's a shame that some people don't seem to have an imagination and can't deal with a little whimsy.

Speaking of which, I love the dog flea collar commercial with the dog at camp. He is so darn cute. But then, that's not realistic because dogs can't write...

experiment626
06-04-2004, 09:29 AM
It dawned on me a few days ago, when they showed the new Disneyland Resort television ad campaign. Theme song "We're Gonna Rock This Town"...
But there's a huge problem they overlooked: Dogs aren't allowed to run loose inside Disneyland or DCA.
It is a DOGS DREAM!! why can't a dog dream about going to Disneyland? I have never been to Hawaii but I "dream" of going there.

sediment
06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Allowing dogs in DL might solve the cat population problem. Maybe the commercial should have the dog chasing the cats instead of going on rides, which, really, just isn't realistic. I mean, all by himself on the rides? Inconceivable!
Idea #2: have the dog wearing an AP lanyard.