PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours Question

Brookelh
11-01-2001, 01:03 PM
Thanks to your recommendations, I got the Disneyland Singalong video and watched it today. It had glips from Star Tours on it. How related is this to Star Wars? Should my kids watch Star Wars before we go to understand/appreciate this ride?

They may be too scared to ride it anyway, we will see how it goes. My plan is to start out non scary and work my way up.

mad4mky
11-01-2001, 01:11 PM
If your kids do not like roller coasters and fast moving, unpredictible rides...skip this one. It's a simulator, but there is a lot of motion and moving around.

But, if that isn't the case, and they love the first Star Wars movie, they'll enjoy this. I don't want to spoil it...but they'll get to help the Rebel fighters destroy the Death Star.
And Hyperspace is pretty neat. But, again, if they don't like coasters....avoid it.

Ghoulish Delight
11-01-2001, 01:19 PM
How related is this to Star Wars? Should my kids watch Star Wars before we go to understand/appreciate this ride?

It is related to Star Wars, and has some very inside references that only wackos like me pick up on. But, it also has it's own, self contained storyline that is quite entertaining. If they have seen and like the movies, they will get more out of it, but, assuming they get over any fear of the ride, they'd probably enjoy it on its own.

lisap
11-01-2001, 01:30 PM
My seven year old all of a sudden decided that she loves Star Tours now after being afraid of it for a couple years. Keep in mind she is a big timid of the big coasters (she just consented to go on gadgets go-coaster and liked it) and has seen Star Wars once.

I don't think one needs the film connection to enjoy the ride, but it really depends on your children's temperament whether they'll enjoy it. I would say if they can handle Big Thunder, Gadgets, and like any of the dark rides, they might like Star Tours. Hope that helps a bit.

innerSpaceman
11-01-2001, 02:22 PM
I must say that I don't really think the movement on Star Tours is comparable to a coaster, not even a mild one like Gadget's. The motion sensations are completely different on a simulator like Star Tours than you would get from any roller coaster that actually moves through physical space.

I don't think there is anything about the movement of Star Tours that would be frightening to children or which would cause sensations of motion sickness or nausea (although I have a pregnant friend who would disagree with me on that one).

I think your kids will be fine on Star Tours and that they'll actually love it. (Knowledge of the movie would help, but is not required. And I would venture to say that your kids would love the original Star Wars, too).

Ralph Wiggum
11-01-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Brookelh
Should my kids watch Star Wars before we go to understand/appreciate this ride?

IMHO...your kids should watch Star wars no matter if they are going to Disneyland or not. Its a classic!

lisap
11-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I must say that I don't really think the movement on Star Tours is comparable to a coaster, not even a mild one like Gadget's. The motion sensations are completely different on a simulator like Star Tours than you would get from any roller coaster that actually moves through physical space.

I don't think there is anything about the movement of Star Tours that would be frightening to children or which would cause sensations of motion sickness or nausea (although I have a pregnant friend who would disagree with me on that one).

True, it's hard to compare Star Tours to any coaster, but all I know is that my daughter started being ok with Big Thunder and Star Tours around the same time--so the fright level to her was about the same. Before that, both rides were too intense for her.

Bill Catherall
11-01-2001, 02:37 PM
Your kids haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies?! :eek: Are you nuts? ;)

Well, you don't need to see the movies to have fun on the ride. But I think it would make the queue a little more fun if they knew what the Ewoks are, where the moon of Endore is (your destination on this trip), or even who R2D2 and C3PO are. Of course, it may not matter much because everytime I've been on it, even during crowded days, you run through the queue and don't even see much of it.

So, if the kids are old enough to understand, it might be fun to give them the background information that is contained in Episodes 4-6 (the original trilogy). Then it won't be just a ride, but an additional experience to the Star Wars world. At least watch the movies so the kids can be properly introduced to Star Wars fandom. :)

Matterhorn Fan
11-01-2001, 03:54 PM
I was frightened of roller coasters for a while, but never had a problem with Star Tours.

There is a lot of movement, especially if you sit in one of the corner seats. The ones in the middle don't move quite as much, and if you ask nicely, the CMs will be able to get you right in the center.

tabacco
11-01-2001, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum

IMHO...your kids should watch Star wars no matter if they are going to Disneyland or not. Its a classic!

I agree! All children should see Star Wars, and then be reminded gently to always let the wookie win :)

Brookelh
11-01-2001, 06:03 PM
My kids are only 7 and 3--I intend for them to watch Star Wars, we even own it, I just haven't gotten around to it. I know, it does sound strange now that I think of it.

Actually, my daughter did see the first movie when she was 2, when it was rereleased at the theater. It was funny--she was terrified of C3PO, and the movie seemed a lot scarier than I remembered. So I decided to take her home. She was crushed, cried and screamed and begged all the way to the car, so I finally took her back in and she watched the rest.

The problem is, we leave in a little over a week, and we are also trying to watch some old Disney stuff so they will know characters like Mickey and Goofy and Chip n Dale, too. So I am not sure how many movies we can fit in!

Bill Catherall
11-01-2001, 06:44 PM
Tsk tsk tsk! Now you wouldn't be having these problems if you had properly brain washed them from the beginning, would you? It's a good thing you're making up for it now though. :D Maybe your kids will turn out to be alright after all.

EandCDad
11-01-2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Brookelh
My kids are only 7 and 3--I intend for them to watch Star Wars, we even own it, I just haven't gotten around to it. I know, it does sound strange now that I think of it.

Our girls are 7 and 4, the older one has seen the first movie and liked it. She likes Star Tours. Our 4 year old doesn't like it too much so your three year old will be more of a judgement call. If the line is short enough, try it with the older child only (if possible) and then make up your own mind based on your 3 year olds response to other dark rides.

Innerspaceman is right in that the movement on Star Tours is different than a traditional roller coaster, but I would disagree that there is nothing to scare a younger child. It is not a "scary" ride per se, but my 4 year old does get a little scared by the ride and the "virtual" situations of danger seem real to a small child, so you will probably be the best judge of the 3 year old. the 7 year old should be fine. Try to save it for a later in the day after trying a few other rides.

Don't need to see the movies to enjoy the ride.

FEJ
11-01-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by tabacco

I agree! All children should see Star Wars, and then be reminded gently to always let the wookie win :)

Always...If you dont, you might end up a NerfHerder..