PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day for Eisner's Tower of Terror!

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
06-02-2004, 03:59 PM
SaveDisney PhotoEssay:
MEMORIAL DAY FOR EISNER'S TOWER OF TERROR

It's a gorgeous SoCal Monday Holiday... Let's take a trip with Merlin Jones to see how the Tower has transformed ailing DCA.

http://www.savedisney.com/news/dca/dca_ss060204.asp

sediment
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Sure was a whole lot of money to throw into the AP Lounge.

blusilva
06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Wow.

Just. Wow.

Thanks for the wonderful photo essay MerlinJones. I did spend about 15 seconds over my holiday weekend wondering if ToT was going to be a blockbuster or just a buster.

Photographer
06-02-2004, 04:51 PM
That was funny AND it proved correct the joke in Shrek.

Marty
06-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Merlin. That was great. Those were excellent photos.

As I was going through the slide show I had to physically stop myself from getting our travel agent on the phone. Cooped up here in my office, I guess you could say that I’m more than a little envious of the lucky people who were able to enjoy such a beautiful day at DCA.

However if I pull a few strings and cash in a couple of favors, I just might be able to swing an extra long weekend in July. I wonder how much airfares between Vancouver and Los Angeles are going for then. Come to think of it, maybe I should give our travel agent a call after all. No harm in asking some questions and getting a few quotes. And while I’m at it, maybe I’ll drop Mike a thank-you. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy riding his Tower of Terror.

Tinker Bell
06-02-2004, 05:02 PM
I did notice not many people seemed to be going into DCA. I of course spent the day in DL.

Bruce Bergman
06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Now someone - or several teams of someones, one watching sentry for Security, Leads and Suits - need to go take a semi-scientific survey and see what percentage of Guests are paying full price for entry to DCA versus discounted tickets and Annual Passes.

To make DCA a "success" they have to get the numbers up of full-price paying Guests - the "One-Day Hopper and Annual Passes are just "papering the house" with free or almost free tickets just to get people's butts in the seats. Sure they make money on food and merchandise, but not as much.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

CoasterMatt
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Not to brag or anything, but over Memorial Day weekend, Universal Studios Hollywood had one of the busiest days in it's history, including the busiest single day ever for the first six months of the year (Jan-June).

sediment
06-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Now someone - or several teams of someones, one watching sentry for Security, Leads and Suits - need to go take a semi-scientific survey and see what percentage of Guests are paying full price for entry to DCA versus discounted tickets and Annual Passes.
You want semi-scientific? Alright:
1. 2% one-park, possibly discounted;
2. 35% park-hoppers (3- or 5-day);
3. 63% AP holders.

Another issue with the success is the average length of time each guest spends at DCA. I mean, more DCA revenue will come from the guest who's there all day. At least 1.5 extra meals bought in the park. Should we consider the AP holder who pops into DCA twice (one for ToT FastPass, one to ride ToT) the same as the one-park buyer?
One of the problems with making DCA a success in the future continues to be the denial of its being a financial failure. I suggest that Cast Member Matt create the one-park AP and two-park AP options, similar to Tokyo's parks. This type of AP program will better divide the gate revenues of the parks and more clearly prove the financial failure of it (or it will shut up the detractors -- we know who we are). This would then force DIS and TDA and WDI to work toward drastically improving it, along the lines of the few billion dollars that should have been spent in the first place.
I see this program happening within two years. I can't tell whether before or after 50th celebration would be better. Sooner the better, IMO.

merlinjones
06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
>>Should we consider the AP holder who pops into DCA twice (one for ToT FastPass, one to ride ToT) the same as the one-park buyer?<<

No... they probably count him as two separate one day admissions!!! ;)

Polar33
06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
It should be noted that BOTH parks were drastically under capacity that day. A few hours after park opening attendance estimates were revised for both parks. I can't recall what DCA's new estimate was, but I remember that DL's was lowered to 30k. So saying that DCA was underwhelmed with the crowds is really only telling half the story, since DL was equally underwhelmed.

Darkbeer
06-02-2004, 08:23 PM
^Maybe everyone was at USH and Knott's... interersting to note that Knott's had healthy numbers at both its Soak City, and the regular park...

Gee, have the SoCal's learned to wait until there is a discount offer from Disney before showing up??? We only had the "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for free" for 13 out of the last 17 months......

merlinjones
06-02-2004, 08:29 PM
>>So saying that DCA was underwhelmed with the crowds is really only telling half the story, since DL was equally underwhelmed.<<

But Disneyland hasn't been blessed with a new E Ticket ride since 1995, DCA's opened last month...
;)

Disneyfreak
06-02-2004, 08:32 PM
I think if I had to choose a spot for a new attraction it would be in the sub lagoon. That area makes me cringe everytime I pass it. It is such a huge piece of land and they are not using it. :mad:

merlinjones
06-03-2004, 05:57 AM
>>I think if I had to choose a spot for a new attraction it would be in the sub lagoon. <<

They could solve this problem before the end of the year if they really wanted to...

Pat-n-Eil
06-03-2004, 07:27 AM

To make DCA a "success" they have to get the numbers up of full-price paying Guests - the "One-Day Hopper and Annual Passes are just "papering the house" with free or almost free tickets just to get people's butts in the seats. Sure they make money on food and merchandise, but not as much.

And.. just how many entries in to Disneyland itself are non AP, non-parkhopper tickets?

Just asking.

jrad32
06-03-2004, 07:37 AM
hahahahaha. That was a hilarious photo tour. I've never heard of a new E-ticket with that short a wait on a holiday weekend. Incredible.

This new one day hopper is really going to be great. We'll go to Dl in the morning then hop over to DCA to ride TOT and Soarin and hop back.

scaeagles
06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
I see this as a no win situation for the entire Disneyland resort.

They invest 95 million in a new e-ticket. This does nothing to raise attendance at DCA. I can see only a few scenarios because of this, the first being the only good one, but certainly the most unlikely.

1 - They realize that there is no "quick fix" to DCA. This leads to perhaps another billion dollars of investment in DCA over the next 5 years in an attempt to gain attendance.

2 - They decide DCA is not worth anymore investment, as 95 mil is no small piece of change. They continue to cut staff, shorten hours, trying to cut their losses.

3 - because of the lack of return on the investment in DCA, they decide that investment into the entire resort is not worth it and continue to funnel more money into Orlando, the largest tourist destination in the world.

4 - In an attempt to force more people into DCA, they continue to cut staff at DL. Longer lines, fewer attractions open (closed under the guise of refurb), etc, will make DL much less appealing. They misjudge, however, and instead of DCA being flooded with guests, DL becomes even more crowded, fewer people come, lowering revenue, and making #3 more likely.

5 - They simply close DCA, losing hundreds of millions on their investment, making #3 more likely.

6 - DCA is only open on the weekends, making DL more crowded during the week when tourists are in town over the summer.

Personally, I think it is not long, because of the status of Orlando in the world tourist community and Disney's investment in other parks around the world, until DL in Anaheim is but a memory. I really don't see an out. They have too much investment capital tied up around the world to invest more in something that a recent major 95 million e-ticket doesn't seem to be assisting. And based on accounts I've read (I'll be riding it myself 24 days from now - yay!), it is a good ride that is exceptionally well themed, and theming has always been a major issue with DCA detractors.

I see the only answer as a moderate increase in DCA traffic. If APers who do not like DCA go even occassionally - perhaps even just to eat there instead of inside DL, modestly raising the attendance figures and revenue - this may show TDA that the investment they made is the right direction to go. I do not think a major influx is necessary or warranted, as that might make TDA think they've done enough, but without any positive return they will not continue to invest, and that is bad for the entire resort.

SacTown Chronic
06-03-2004, 08:09 AM
7- They bring the admission price for DCA down to a realistic level, say 2/3 the price of DL until they can add more quality attractions. My family enjoys DCA but we would NEVER pay $50 to go.

scaeagles
06-03-2004, 08:19 AM
7- They bring the admission price for DCA down to a realistic level, say 2/3 the price of DL until they can add more quality attractions. My family enjoys DCA but we would NEVER pay $50 to go.

Not a bad idea....but even without that happening, APers and those who go with 3 and 5 day park hoppers could do just enough to bump revenue to make them realize the investment was worth it and that more investment would mean more revenue. Without an increase in revenue, they will not invest more in it.

spectromen
06-03-2004, 08:23 AM
^Maybe everyone was at USH and Knott's... interersting to note that Knott's had healthy numbers at both its Soak City, and the regular park...

I was at both Soak City and Knott's that day and indeed, both were quite well attended! The last hour at Knott's was nice but other than that, lines were plenty long. I kept wondering if DL was the same way and apparently it was the place to be on Monday instead!

merlinjones
06-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Easy solution: Make DCA part of Downtown Disney, increasing the shopping area and appeal for locals considerably (with minimal investment), charge only stand alone tickets or create a small ticket book for the few remaining attractions at Downtown Disney, then they will get some cash back for a change from that side of the Plaza.

Then all major capital can be pumped back into Disneyland where people want to be, both for new rides and restoration.

scaeagles
06-03-2004, 12:52 PM
In all reality, though, that isn't going to happen, Merlin. It isn't a bad idea, but I can see no way that they would do that. I would suspect you know that. I think that would also eliminate incentive to build more attractions. How long will it take to recoup 95 mil (TOT price) at $5/ride? That's 19 million rides just to get back the initial investment, let alone op and maint costs. I don't see this as financially viable. While some might see this as a good thing, who is going to pay for individual tickets to go on most things at DCA? The orange stinger is a nice distraction for my 10 year old, but I wouldn't pay to ride it by itself. So it will sit there or be torn down, and then most likely not replaced with anything because of investment costs. What would happen is only the e-ticket attractions would remain and it would become the equivalent of a mall - as you said, an extension of downtown Disney. Knowing how you feel about DCA, that may be exactly what you want, but I don't see it happening.

That being the case, I do think it necessary for the good of the resort - as in more money being invested both DL and DCA - that Disney execs see some sort of return on their large investment of the TOT. If they do not, there will be no business argument to make more. All they are going to see as of now is no return on a large investment, and therefore they will have no financial incentive to invest more. Dollars will go elsewhere. I don't think that that is a good thing for DL or Anaheim.

I think they need to see additional revenue of around 600K/month come out of DCA for this investment to appear worthwhile. Here's my reasoning, which may be too simplistic - heck, I'm not an MBA or anything. Comparing the investment in the TOT to a mortgage, 95 million at 6.5% for 30 years is amortized at just over 600K/month. If they get close to that in increased revenue, they will see that increased investment is indeed worthwhile. Much less, they see no return and will not be interested in making capital investment when the return on their investments is much higher in Orlando.

sambo
06-03-2004, 04:28 PM
OH yeah... Get rid of the stupid rides, the stupid theme, build an underground passageway from Disneyland, and make it a new "land". Heavily theme it, tell the stories well, and build in custom E ticket attractions the whole family can enjoy and it will be a hit!

Treat DCA like urban blight and make the renewal project like Disney Tokyo Sea.

This ain't rocket surgery folks... The money is there, all it takes is the will.

Opus1guy
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
That was funny AND it proved correct the joke in Shrek.

Could someone please refresh my memory on this reference? Or perhaps I was out getting popcorn and missed it. Also...Shrek or Shrek 2?

Thanks.