PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Road Trip for 5

Disney Nick
06-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Well, it's time to return to Disneyland. 5 friends and myself are planning a road trip on Aug. 2nd-8th (well, we leave SoCal on the 7th to visit some family in Visalia). So I need to get everything planned for Aug. 2nd-7th.

We are probably going to spend 3 days or so at DL, another day at MM or Universal, and one day to enjoy Santa Monica or another beach area and perhaps some downtown. The night of Magic Mountain and Santa Monica we want to hit up some comedy clubs or night clubs.

We are going to be spending 5 nights at our hotel near Disneyland, but I need help finding out which hotel to choose. I've never really booked a hotel for so many people so it is hard for me. I've found a "mini-suite" at Ramada Anaheim Plaza Hotel (i think) on Katella which is basically 2 queens and a sofa-sleeper in one big room. The price was $93 plus tax ($108 or so total) per night, which is about the price range I'm looking for. If anyone can find a better deal or give me any details about this hotel that'd be great.

I have my Premium AP still and my brother has a Deluxe. My girlfriend is going to get a regular hopper that I'm paying to upgrade to Deluxe. My other 2 friends need to get hoppers. The best I can find is the 5 day for the price of 3 park hopper for $129. We don't really need more than 3 days, but it could come in useful if we want to visit DL for a day or part of a day.

If anyone has any additional things we should check out (keep in mind, we are all over 18, but only some are over 21) please let me know. My brother used to be from LA and those of you who know me can remember how much I came down for meets and to hang out down there. Also any comedy or night club suggestions would be cool, along with beach suggestions.

Thanks again guys for any input/help you may be able to offer me. I can't wait to go back!!! :D :fez:

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Do all six of you have to be in one room?

Disney Nick
06-02-2004, 07:05 AM
There are 5 of us, and not necessarily. It could be split 2/3 with 2 sharing a king and the other 3 splitting 2 queens. I'd actually be willing to pay a little more for a set-up like that or a suite that offers a split room with one queen/king separated. The budget is flexible if I find something that I really like.

Photographer
06-02-2004, 07:13 AM
If any of your friends' parents own Time Sharing, ask them to look into the special breaks they offer. They come up like 30 days beforehand and you can get a condo-like place for about $99/night that'll sleep 4-6 people, usually with 2 bathrooms.

Wendi
06-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Last time we went to Disneyland we stayed at the Staybridge Suites. They are about a mile away, so you will need to either drive to the park or take the shuttle, that was the only downside to it. We basically had a 2BR 2BA apartment complete with a kitchen! It was fantastic. They had big breakfasts every day, and appetizers in the evening. Twice a week they had BBQs by the pool... burgers, dogs, beer, wine... the works! We saved a lot of money on food - in fact I made PB&J sandwiches from the breakfast buffet every morning to take to the park for lunch! I really don't remember the cost, we had 7 people and it worked out perfectly for us. We booked a package deal through getawaytoday.org and it was very reasonable. I'm pretty sure our 5 day package ended up being somewhere between $150-200 per person... cheap!

poohcrzee
06-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Check on the Comfort Inn Maingate. I have 5 nights with 5 people starting monday and it is $83 a night. I don't know what the room is called- I think a Kid Suite, it has 2 queen beds, a queen sofa sleeper, bunk beds, 2 t.v.s, a refer, a microwave, deluxe contintential breakfast and the best part is it has 2 bathrooms!! I have never stayed there, but the reviews on Mouse Planet are great and have heard that from others also. I think I got the best price from the website under "internet user" , this price was even better than AAA or the Senior price ( I tried to get that since I'm dragging my mom along this time!) They are also on the bus route if you need that. Good luck.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
We just stayed at Hojo. The rooms accomodate 5 people. 2 in each double bed and one in the rollaway. It is nice and within walking distance.

Disney Nick
06-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Well I booked a room at the Best Value Inn & Suites Anaheim East (technically in Orange) on W. Chapman. It used to be a Residence Inn (which is something I was considering getting but it was $200 per night). Anyways, I got the penthouse for $100 a night which has an upstairs loft with a queen bed and a separate bathroom. Downstairs it was a full size bed that comes out of the wall (Murphy bed) and a double sofa sleeper. It also has a kitchen which we don't really need but might come in handy. At least it can hold water :) If anyone has ideas for easy lunches we could make there (remember college students with no cooking skills) feel free to let me know. I'm thinking sandwiches could be doable at the least :)

I really like the semi-private upstairs loft (there is no door and its open air upstairs, but I'll take it for the price). I actually had to live in one of these with my brother for about 6 months when a tree crashed into our house about 7 years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Anyways, it's looking like the trip is going to be 3 split days at Disneyland (not all in a row) with 2 days for other LA activities. While I wouldn't mind museums, and neither would my brother or my gf, my two friends might not be too thrilled. So I'm trying to keep it more college-age oriented. Probably a day at Santa Monica (someone with more experience with this town, any help?) and maybe a day in Hollywood (night at the Laugh Factory?). It looks like Magic Mountain is out; there are only so many theme parks one can do.

Anyways, thanks for the help and any other help/tips would be great.

PS - As much as I love the Tiki Room getting fixed, WHY does it have to be TWO DAYS before I arrive :( :(