PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain's new logs

Pages : [1] 2

myron61090
06-02-2004, 01:50 AM
i for one haven't been to disneyland recently (sob)... but i heard that they redid splash mountain and even renovated the "logs"....

is this true?
if it is, what do they look like?

thanks! :fez:

danyoung
06-02-2004, 04:12 AM
They look pretty much the same, but the seating is a little different. Instead of sitting in 2 larger sections, you now sit pretty much in your own. If memory serves, there are 5 sections, for 5 people. The old seating could fit 6 pretty cozy.

Duane
06-02-2004, 04:37 AM
The major change that took place in the logs is each rider now has a back rest. In turn, this reduced the amount of passengers each log could accommodate. As a result, the ride capacity per hour was reduced so Disney sped up the water current on the attraction so each log would travel at a swifter pace. This brought the ride capacity back up to par but the experience of the attraction is not as magical as it used to be. You are so rushed that you don't really get much of a chance to enjoy the scenery, it's just one big blur along with a very bumpy ride.

spectromen
06-02-2004, 07:39 AM
I am wondering if this "speed up" business might explain why Brer Bear's "There's nothin in here but bees" happens too late now. You'd think they would have re-timed the dialogue to match the new speed wouldn't you?

David R
06-02-2004, 07:42 AM
That definitely explains why now you get wet in the ride while before you just got a little bit of water but not much.

I hate getting wet and for years I refused to ride Splash, until I was talked into it before the new seating configuration, and I saw that indeed, you didn't get wet. So I started riding it every time I visited the park.

But in the last few months I noticed that I was getting much wetter than usual and simply not enjoying the ride. I thought that maybe it was bad luck, I bet that the higher speed is causing this "problem".

Pirate Girl
06-02-2004, 07:46 AM
I, for one, like the new logs much more than the old ones. Splash used to terrify me because of the lack of accessable hand holds, now I can just cling to the seatback in front of me. :D

MetalliKitty
06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
I like it best on slower days because if there is no one in front of me I can wedge my feet in above the handhold rail; it keeps them from getting soaked.

I don't mind getting wet on rides, but I make every attempt to keep my feet as dry as possible.

myron61090
06-02-2004, 09:53 AM
but then a question remains. would you rather wait in line longer for the old, slower, and less wet ride OR are you willing to forsaket those metioned in order for the line to get shorter?

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Personally, I'd prefer the slower more enjoyable ride AND the new logs with my own private seat. It is worth the wait.

Pirate Girl
06-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Personally, I'd prefer the slower more enjoyable ride AND the new logs with my own private seat. It is worth the wait.

Ditto.

Pirate Girl
06-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, the logs at WDW have room for 8 correct?

stan4d_steph
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, the logs at WDW have room for 8 correct? Yes. At WDW there are 4 rows of 2 seats side by side. The sides of the log also come up higher, so you tend to get less wet from water sloshing over the side.

Durliin
06-02-2004, 11:52 AM
In WDW you can acuall sit 3 in a row if wanted so they could go up to 12 people in a log they also run 50 logs in there flume where we run up to 38...

mbrady
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
The topic of log speed comes up from time to time, with many claiming it's faster than it used to be, but others saying the ride time is unchanged. Does anyone actually have a difinitive answer to this?

Darkbeer
06-02-2004, 12:25 PM
^ Time it for yourself, the old ride was about 9 and 1/2 minutes...

The last couple of times I rode it... 8 and 1/2 minutes (that is, from sitting down in the log, until standing back up....)

That is over 10% faster than before they did the pump work in the last rehab....

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
I noticed this change at our last trip, 2 weeks ago. I figured that it was probably allowing them to fill the logs more efficently since before you were Matterhorn style seating and there was no way a single person would sit between some strangers legs.
I did not notice the ride being shorter, but then I never timed it and only road it once. I am concerned though about the new seating in the logs as I feel my son, who WILL be 40 inches before we go back so that he can go on it, will be in his own seat and I want to be able to hold on to him somehow. Wonder if they would let him sit with me, he is only going to be 3!

Darkbeer
06-02-2004, 12:56 PM
^Disney will NOT allow any child to sit with a parent/responsible adult on Splash, EVERYONE must have their own seat... the best thing to do is sit right behind the child, that way you can watch over him/her....

CarlieB
06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
When exactly did the speed up happen?

Disneyfreak
06-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Everyone thought I was crazy when I said that they sped it up after that rehab. :rolleyes:

I knew right away after that rehab happened. Plus what makes it worse is that the speed of the flume doesn't help capacity at all. All that happens is a backup of logs at the end of the attraction. The only way to make the speed worth anything is to install dual loading stations which they should have done.

leota's necklace
06-02-2004, 07:58 PM
I am concerned though about the new seating in the logs as I feel my son, who WILL be 40 inches before we go back so that he can go on it, will be in his own seat and I want to be able to hold on to him somehow. Wonder if they would let him sit with me, he is only going to be 3!

It's a good idea to try and figure out how much your son will freak out if he has to sit alone, before you go. If you think he'll do okay, you can sit in the seat behind him, reach forward and clasp your arms around him, or put your hands on his shoulders so he knows he's safe.

(On that note...) Last summer I had the pleasure of sitting behind a couple who insisted their child be able to lap-sit with them. The CM explained that was impossible, and seated the family according to size, with the child in front. Just before the first drop, the mother picked up the daughter and handed her overhead to her father, who was sitting in the third seat. As we were going down a drop. I couldn't believe it, the poor kid could have gone over the side and been squashed.

The CM at the bottom of the last lift had to stop the ride, put on the lights, and re-seat the family appropriately, holding up five or six logs behind us in the process. I was hoping he'd make them disembark, if only for endangering their child the way they did.

Of course, I'm not saying you'd do anything like that! But if you think the tyke will freak out, or change his mind mid-ride, it might be best to wait.

Disneyfreak
06-02-2004, 08:11 PM
I went on this ride when I was four. He should be ok. It was a very big rush though. :D

MammaSilva
06-02-2004, 08:47 PM
MommyTo2Boys - I've taken several small children on Splash with the new seating, what we've done that worked was to take a backpack (empty it so there isn't anything extra smooshing the child) put it on the child in reverse... meaning .... take the pack, put it on their chest with the straps over their shoulders, then sit in the seat behind them in the log, reach up and hold the straps of the backpack, this pulls the pack itself up against their chest and gives them a feeling of 'security. DO NOT assume this is an adequate restraint as much as it is a security blanket effect for the younger rider and for you. As long as the child stays seated they are 'safe' on the ride. If you don't want to use a back pack you coul loop a sweatshirt over the child/seat and hold the arms tightly to help hold them secure in the seat.

disNeytEen
06-02-2004, 08:52 PM
I like the new logs because personally i didn't like sitting in between my dad's legs! :|

Disneyfreak
06-02-2004, 08:54 PM
LOL!!!!!!! :fez:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the great tips, especially the backpack idea. I didn't think they would really allow him to sit with me. I don't think he will freak out, I mean he won't stand up or anything. I think it will be ME freaking out fearing he will fly out! LOL
We won't go back until he is tall enough. His tears when I left him with my uncle while I went on it was more than I could handle!