PDA

View Full Version : Around the World in 80 Days

Pat-n-Eil
06-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I haven't even seen this movie yet, but from the commercials it looks like it could be a fun idea for an attraction.

Perhaps a fantasy balloon adventure. Seeing as things like Peter Pan and Soarin' over California are popular, they should consider another flying ride.

Where to put it?

Uhh.. Frontierland perhaps. Fantasyland.. maybe.. I don't know for sure, but I think it would be fun.

By the way, I like Jackie Chan movies, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one.. Jackie Chan in a Disney adventure movie.. Nice.

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 05:59 PM
But were would they put this new attraction?

Forbin
06-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Simple! Innoventions! Inventions and a circular moving platform that revolves around each country!

Disney Vault
06-01-2004, 06:26 PM
that movie looks like it is going to fail at the box office. But it would make an interesting ride but there are so many other movies that would make better rides.

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
It may not fail but it wont meausre up to what has already opened up for this summer. Who knows maybe it will have one of those kazaam things were it all works out

newhdplayer
06-01-2004, 08:05 PM
But were would they put this new attraction?

DCA

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 08:06 PM
DCA
I knew someone would say that!
It could go in the one area with Soarin

JCLowesman
06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
The 60' version of this Verne classic rightly should have been a Disney film. It had all the earmarks of a great Disney film, but they missed the boat. Watch it first, before you see the new one. The cast was incredible - Niven, Skelton, Keaton, Raft, Deitrich, Morley, and just about every other character in Hollywood had at least a walk-on. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Hitchcock lurking in the background, even if it wasn't his film. In my opinion, Jackie Chan is a perfect sucsessor to Cantinflas. If I remember correctly, he did his own stunts, too! I'm looking forward to this one. And, YES, it would make a wonderful attraction, but it MUST be in Disneyland. Not DCYeech, not Florida (yet), not Paris or Japan. Put it in Anaheim first, Mr. Eisner.

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
but it MUST be in Disneyland. Not DCYeech.

Come on know DCA needs a new attraction and this would fit well in the avator part of the park

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2004, 06:56 AM
It may fit in with the aviation theme - but without seeing this movie, I have no idea how it would tie in to the California theme.

I was leaning more toward a Disneyland family attraction in my mind..

CoasterMatt
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Ever hear of a little project called "Discovery Bay"? Bits and pieces of it have been built over the years, but sadly, none of those pieces has ended up anywhere near the original intended location.

Bruce Bergman
06-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Ever hear of a little project called "Discovery Bay"? Bits and pieces of it have been built over the years, but sadly, none of those pieces has ended up anywhere near the original intended location.

Matt, Shhhh! Ixnay! ;) You'll build up Fab's hopes again - and make the D.D.S. in Hawaii even worse! (I'll have to "Art" her another Banana Cream Pie...)

If it's going to happen anywhere soon (before a regime change in Burbank), it'll have to go into the Superstar Limo building, and work with that track layout and ride system.

You should know the drill by now, Eisner won't greenlight a new building - not when he has Strategic Planning to insist that there's a perfectly good building and ride system sitting unused, even if it ruins the idea by shoehorning it into an existing space that's just plain wrong. Then when it fails, it becomes the idea's fault. :rolleyes:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

The old man
06-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Let me throw some cold water on this and go out on a limb. I thought that THE ALAMO was going to be a bomb. I thought that the HOME ON THE RANGE was going to be a moneyloser. I believe that this unneeded remake of AROUND THE WORLD will be an "under performer". Let's see.
David

Bruce Bergman
06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
A quick post with footnotes, that I realized I should do after reading partway through that Mega-Thread - I'll have to start doing this whenever I put up "Inside Joke" stuff. I don't want to be accused of being in a Clique or anything... :rolleyes:

1) Fab Dis Babe moved to Hawaii.

2) D.D.S stands for Disney Deprivation Syndrome - as in 'too far away to visit as often as desired'.

3) Fab's fondest wish in life is to get Discovery Bay built as originally designed.

4) Art Yet Lew once (about 5 - 7 years ago) bought a Monte Cristo sammich To Go at the Blue Bayou, packed it in dry ice, and FedEx'ed it to Chicago for an alt.disney.disneyland/MousePad person (I forget which) who had a real hankering for one. Now, when you send a care package from DL like that, you are "Arting" it.

5) Fab wanted a pie for her birthday a few years ago, I brought a good one. Which she insisted on getting in the kisser. Waste of Marie Callendars through mis-communication - I brought a good Eatin' pie, not a cheap Throwin' pie. Next time I bring a pre-baked Crust and a tub of Redi-Whip.

Now that the housekeeping is taken care of... :p

I agree with "The old man" on this one - what was the purpose of making yet another pointless remake movie? The shelves are littered with them, and they rarely make a whole lot of money. Sometimes, they don't even make back their production costs.

If Disney wants to make successful movies that rake in the Box Office dough (and Mr. Eisner wants to keep his job) they have to find new movies to do, or solid reasons and unique ways to do a remake or sequel.

Go ahead, take a few chances - swing for the fences and try to hit a home run. Sure, you might strike out - but re-makes of old movies and "Direct to Video" sequels are like bunting, and you rarely win a game if that's the best you can do.

Even with Jackie Chan in it, following the rule "The best stuff is all in the trailer" I'm underwhelmed with the idea, and I probably won't go see it, especially not at full price. Maybe at a bargain matinee...

And a ride might be great - but if the movie bombs, and it probably will, it'll never happen. At least, not tied into that movie - good ride ideas often get recycled several times before they really jell and they finally get built.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

The old man
06-20-2004, 08:27 PM
I hate to say it but--I told you so--see my message in this thread from 6/3.
David

DefyingGravity
06-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Is the movie bombing? I read the review in the SF Chronicle, it it said it was very good. What's up?

Disney Vault
06-20-2004, 08:58 PM
i looks awful. I knew it would not do well too. It just looks very tacky and corney. Besides i hate jackie chan, except in rush hour because chris tucker was so funny.

JeffG
06-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Is the movie bombing? I read the review in the SF Chronicle, it it said it was very good. What's up?

The film is estimated to be in 9th place at the box-office this weekend, despite opening in wide release. It will certainly qualify as a box-office bomb and is likely to disappear from theaters very quickly. Disney certainly won't be basing any theme park attractions on it...

-Jeff

The old man
06-21-2004, 05:51 AM

The review sometimes has nothing to do with the box office. A 110 million dollar movie that does 8 mil in its first weekend (9.6 mil to date) and comes in 9th is in BIG trouble.
David

Andrew
06-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Meanwhile, we saw the 1956 version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048960/) at the Stanford Theatre (http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/) (Palo Alto, CA) on Saturday, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The movie suffers today from slow pacing, and the print was certainly not in great condition, but based on what I've read and heard it must be miles better than the new version.

disNeytEen
06-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Saw the movie Saturday Night, and it wasn't that bad. It was a nice family film and funny, at first thought it was going to be a yawn but it picked up and it was a good film. I'll probably buy it i thought it was that good, not as bad as people were saying they thought it was going to be...kind of a shocker that it was as good as it was!