PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Space [in Disneyland?]

yasudab
05-31-2004, 10:37 PM
how about putting mission space in disneyland. It is in Florida, so why don't they put it in disneyland. Or would the executives say, its too expensive. It could replace the rocket rods food area and innoventions. Also, do the executives care or remember why disneyland was built? It was walt disney's pursuit of family entertainment. The executives have totally lost sight of that fact and all they care about is profits. Has anyone ever asked them directly (whether it was a guy on the street, or a fellow employee) and what has there response been?

Boingonut
06-01-2004, 12:20 AM
First I agree that the Family Entertainment part of DL, and the Disney compeny as a whole is lacking. It is eather for just little kids or adults-teens, and a lot of newer Disney Attractions seperate the family.

Second I think that you have hit onto the problem that many people have had Disney compeny lately. They don't listen to the man on the street anymore, they always play it safe, and by playing it safe they are no longer as inovative as they used to be back in the Walt days. And all they do is copy attractions from park to park, such as Tower of Terror, Poo, and Buzz and at least in DL's case never come up with new attactions (the last new attraction that was added to DL was Indy, but that was almost 10 years ago now!) And even when they do import a new ride many people feel it is inferior to the origanal, when it should have been an improvment and that leads to dissapointment.

And third, I would not mind seeing a mission space type ride in DL, but agian it would just be anouther import, and the last two imports DL has gotten many people think are inferior to the origanals (I havent rode Tower yet, but I have heard from many people that have been on the one at WDW say that it is not as good), so judgeing by Disneys track record I would say that DL would get a mission space built "on the cheap".

But if they did a mission space ride that was different from the one in Florida it would be cool, but its still just anouther import. What I would like to see is a whole new E-tickit ride in DL that is completley origanal, and (gasp) not based after a movie eather, like POTC or HM.

BJW
06-01-2004, 01:21 AM
I've heard this ride makes a lot of people sick and has sent several to the hospital. Sounds like it would be too much of a liability issue to me.

HoRiZoNs
06-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Can the Californians handle going into deep space? ;)

Duane
06-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Believe me, Disneyland is better off without Mission Space. This ride is nothing more than a "high speed" tilt-a-whirl with a computer monitor in front of your face. I rode Mission Space one time and will never make that mistake again. The Disney company claims they spent 100 million developing this attraction, I consider this statement a marketing scheme to fool the guests into believing that they are going to experience a sensational ride. For some people, this scheme has been effective. I would say the cost was only around 20 million. By the way, Disneyland's last original attraction was not Indiana Jones, it was Rocket Rods. Guess what, after they built Rocket Rods people did nothing but complain about how sorry they were and didn't perform as originally planned due to budget cuts. I thought Rocket Rods were great! Here is one last thing to keep in mind when comparing Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. Disneyland offers more attractions, five more to be exact!

yasudab
06-01-2004, 06:20 AM
While I agree that it probably won't be as good an import, but at least it would be a semi decent ride. Look what there is now. Basically nothing. So ANY addition would be an improvement.

sediment
06-01-2004, 08:48 AM
I don't consider it even a semi-decent ride.

Duane
06-01-2004, 10:57 AM
I wish they would gut Innoventions and build a Test Track similar to the one in EPCOT, now we're talking!!!

Mezo
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
If I am not mistaken, under the contract agreement between the company that designed the ride, and Disney, Mission: Space cannot be duplicated in another Disney park for a certain amount of time. I can't remember where I saw this, but I know there are lawsuits going on over this. It has something to do with patents on the ride’s design.

Mezo

Boingonut
06-01-2004, 05:14 PM
By the way, Disneyland's last original attraction was not Indiana Jones, it was Rocket Rods. Guess what, after they built Rocket Rods people did nothing but complain about how sorry they were and didn't perform as originally planned due to budget cuts. I thought Rocket Rods were great! Here is one last thing to keep in mind when comparing Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. Disneyland offers more attractions, five more to be exact!

Oh yea, I forgot about the Rocket Rods, I only went on them a few times and that was in the off season so I never did experence the famous lines that this attraction had. But I guess that if DL got another original E-ticket attraction and it gone trough had budget cuts I would probely complain also! But the few times I rode the Rocket Rods I liked them too.

averagecuppajoe
06-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I rode the "Rocket Rods" only once and enjoyed the attraction. I was pretty bummed when I returned the following year and they were gone. Bummed and dumbstruck at the same time.

olddumbguy
06-23-2004, 03:50 PM
How long were the Rocket Rods open? I always thought the rocket rods were the rockets up on the roof of the people mover entrance that swung you around like the Dumbo ride. I've been going to Disneyland since the mid-70s and still remember having to use tickets. I went regulary as a kid, but the last 10 years, only once, until last year Feb, and now twice since.

When I first read this thread I thought the 'Mission To Space' refered to the old 'Mission To Mars', which was an excellent ride back in the day. I remember riding that the first time, I must have been about 5, thinking it was real and it scared the poopie out of me. I loved it! Now, I dont know why they cant use today's technology, in the same space, and make a ride that both kids and adults will love, based on the same general theme.

averagecuppajoe
06-24-2004, 09:59 PM
You'd think, huh?

CaptJackZodiac
06-24-2004, 10:09 PM
I've heard this ride makes a lot of people sick and has sent several to the hospital. Sounds like it would be too much of a liability issue to me.

M:S is a great ride.

Yes, some people get queasy and there's lots of stories of people getting off and tossing their tacos but, after having ridden it about 8 times now with no problems, I tend to think at least some of these stories are just...stories.

It's not as bad as people are making it out to be so if you're ever down here, ride it. It's sweet.

Lani
06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
It's not as bad as people are making it out to be so if you're ever down here, ride it. It's sweet.The anticipation was much more scary than the actual ride. I enjoyed it... I think those who might have trouble may be those who feel claustrophobic (versus being afraid of heights, for example).

Pat-n-Eil
06-25-2004, 08:39 AM
I rode the "Rocket Rods" only once and enjoyed the attraction. I was pretty bummed when I returned the following year and they were gone. Bummed and dumbstruck at the same time.

We tried to ride the Rocket Rods. We were in line for about 90 minutes when a castmember came through the queue and told us the ride had gone down and we all had to leave.

I never tried to ride it again.

I'm sorry they didn't build them correctly. I'm sorry that they ruined the peoplemover track. I'm sorry that they can't seem to make that infrastructure work for anything. I'm not sorry that they (as they were built) are gone.

Ottmar
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I agree with the naysayers on Mission:Space. I road it last September, and I walked out swearing I would never ride again. If Disneyland can just return the tea cups to full speed, we'll basically have a ride that replicates the most infamous (and unfortunately, memorable) part of Mission: Space.

Disneyphile
06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
I totally love M:S and would be thrilled to see it at DL. I think it would be a great addition to Tomorrowland. :D

sediment
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
I've done this argument on WDW forum here:
Mission:Space is a dud. For most people, there won't be repeatability. There's nothing to miss the first time. (That's why people ride again.) You're expected to look straight ahead into the monitor, and that won't change each time you ride. So what's the point? There's not even a fear factor: am I in any perceived danger on this ride? No, I'm strapped in a pod that seems very safe.

DBJ
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
For it's cost, 100 million, I would rather see a few new attractions that are unique to DL and not a clone of what is available in Orlando.

Seriously, they could build rides like Mummy's Revenge (not literally a Mummy theme of course), SeaWorld's JTA for appox. 1/2 of one Mission Space clone (no dolphin exhibit would lower cost), throw down 10 million to shoot a new 3D movie for the HISTA theater (Tron 2.0? Stitch?), fix up Cosmic Waves (dear DL, call Citywalk and ask for their fountain vendor, or your vendor for Bug's Land Puddle Park), and still have 30 million left over for additional decor or another attraction. More rides = less crowded walkways.

mousketeer
06-25-2004, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=olddumbguy]How long were the Rocket Rods open?QUOTE]

1998 - 2001, I believe.